Need advice on sights around Barahona/Lago Enriquillo & nice beaches?

Hannele

Apr 29, 2004
Me and my sister are going to be heading to Barahona for a couple of days this summer. We already visited the city & the surroundings a year ago, but unfortunately had not so much time to do any "real" sightseeing around, because the main reason for the visit was to see our little godson & his family living in Vengan A Ver.

We would like to know, how to get to Lago Enriquillo (Pls, do not suggest renting a car, since we would need someone to drive it as well :)....I wont be driving there myself, that's for sure!)? Are there any arranged tours, available guides, tour operators whom to contact, ...? And approximate cost for a daytrip to Lago Enriquillo?

Then we would like to visit nearby beaches, any recommendations on the best and nicest beaches to visit? And of course, any advice on how to get there, taxi or...?

I know the best way to get around is to ask around, but I really would like to do some planning in advance if possible.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Regards,
Hannele

Feb 15, 2005
Hannele said:
Me and my sister are going to be heading to Barahona for a couple of days this summer. We already visited the city & the surroundings a year ago, but unfortunately had not so much time to do any "real" sightseeing around, because the main reason for the visit was to see our little godson & his family living in Vengan A Ver.

We would like to know, how to get to Lago Enriquillo (Pls, do not suggest renting a car, since we would need someone to drive it as well :)....I wont be driving there myself, that's for sure!)? Are there any arranged tours, available guides, tour operators whom to contact, ...? And approximate cost for a daytrip to Lago Enriquillo?

Then we would like to visit nearby beaches, any recommendations on the best and nicest beaches to visit? And of course, any advice on how to get there, taxi or...?

I know the best way to get around is to ask around, but I really would like to do some planning in advance if possible.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Regards,
Hannele

Hvae you left already, I can give you some insight

Hannele

Apr 29, 2004
Another trip planned for the summer 2006 (did not make it to the Lago Enriquillo/Isla Cabritos last time).

Any info still appreciated!

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
Check out the pebbly beach at Baharucco (sp?) and look for larimar pebbles brought down from the mine by the river. I have found several spectacular pieces. Canadian Bob.