Mira perra

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morena76

May 10, 2005
I was at a club in Playa Dorado last week and overheard a guy tell his friend "Mira perra" as he was looking at a girl. To me this means "look at the dog." I looked and thought she was cute. So did he think she was ugly or does that mean something else in DR? I'm only asking because the way he pronounced it was almost like pay-RA, with the stress on the second syllable.

mofi

Feb 9, 2005
Um someone can correct me if i am wrong but in mexico that would be like saying "look at the b*tch". Doesn't matter if shes young old, hot or not, some uneducated people refer to woman as B*tches.

borruga

Aug 26, 2004
If she was dancing to reggaeton, he was saying 'Mira como perrea' which refers to the way she was moving. So definitely a positive remark.

Just pay attention to the lyrics of any reggaeton song, and you will hear something about 'perrear'.

Looking like a 'dog' by the way, doesn't mean 'ugly' in all languages.

stewart

Mar 1, 2004
Perra means b**** in every Spanish speaking country. I don't know if it has become Dominican slang for a good looking girl. But it wouldn't surprise. I can't keep up with the slang. It changes too fast.

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Jerga

Without knowing why the person used the term....one never knows. However, perra is jerga (slang) and....

in general terms it could also mean "mujer indeseable" and even used to refer to a "prostituta". As for the verb "perrear" (derived from it with reference to the post above) in the same context has the same connotations as perra. In songs artists can manipulate the meaning of anything in their favor (imo).

LDG.

project9

May 29, 2004
Usually when we say something like that we're implying that the girl looks very provocative, and it's often followd by "... que buena est?"

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
b*i*t*c*h

if you want to use a very derogatory epiteth bordering on the expletive use 'rastrera', and to give it additional emphasis, 'buena rastrera'.

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
"Mira Perra" believe it or not, was probably un piropos (compliment). It is known that DR man in the "tigueraje mode" would use undesireble name/words to compliment women.

Last edited:

mofi

Feb 9, 2005
I guess they should be careful when talking to ftourists. If a guy called me perra i might just have to smack him.................. i mean if your going to get called it you might as well do something to deserve it.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Without being there it is tough

But I keep thinking it means just what it says: Look B!tch!!

Like in : Look B!tch, what I say goes!..

I, admittedly not chumming around with the jevito crowd (Youngsers), have never hear the word perra used in any other way except to connote a female dog or as a derogatory, misogynistic term.

HB :p

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
Hillbilly said:
But I keep thinking it means just what it says: Look B!tch!!

Like in : Look B!tch, what I say goes!..

I, admittedly not chumming around with the jevito crowd (Youngsers), have never hear the word perra used in any other way except to connote a female dog or as a derogatory, misogynistic term.

HB :p

HB I have a 15 year old son and when he gets his friend together I hear that 'jevito' speak you mentioned! Yes they use the word 'perra' but not as in B!TCH...hehe They say:
"Que buena esta esa perra" Oh that honey is fine
"Mira que perra" Look at that honey
"perra! ..que buena estas!" Honey! damn ya fly

LOL Hope this helps hehe.
NotLurking

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
This is too much

In today's New York Times there is a column about how rap and hip-hop have gotten lost and all our young kids are hearing is brutal, misogynistic, violent drug related crap from these rappers, either to sell records or to stir up trouble for rivals. Like Dr. Dre....

There is not an educated human being, over 35, alive in the US, Canada or England, that does not associate the word b!tch with either a female dog or a very nasty name to call females.

The fact that your 15 year old is using this word in Spanish is just a reflection of how deep the Black, Hispanic, Gang-Related, US Hip Hop Movement has penetrated the uneducated, embrionic minds of the DR teenage group. As a group they imitate anything from MTV, no matter how low class, and they do not know that they are imitating language, actions and morals that are totally outside mainstream culture. Like some day you will walk into Barneys or J. Press and say: Yo my Man, whacha got in de new do-rags, Homey? Or your friendly tax accountant will tell you: Man you are purely phucked up with da Fed, better you go do some crank, cap a bitch and have some fun....You phucked!

And you wonder why the US is scoring so low on test when compared to the rest of the world??

I think I would take your son aside and clue him in that the use of that word is not correct unless he is talking about your dogs...Have him call your wife a "classy b!tch " and see how she likes it..

Sadly,

HB

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
huh? HB, I did not say my son uses that word specifically. I did say, "Yes they use the word 'perra' but not as in B!TCH...hehe". I know 'they' (my son's friends but include my son if you wish) use this word because I have heard them use it. I questioned my son about the use of that word and he explained to me what his friend mean by it. Regretfully, now anyway, that is the meaning I share with you and others in this thread. If it makes any difference to you, I did explained, to my son only, that he should not use this word. However, this thread is not about how one should school one's children on the use of the word perra, therefore, no reference was made to that incident in this thread. I don't understand how a simple explanation of how kids are speaking today, whether you approve of it or not - that IS how they speak today, turned into remarks with a condescending overtone toward me and my family. I guess I'll stop sharing my comments. I didn't mean to offend you HB, sorry.

Regards,
NotLurking

mofi

Feb 9, 2005
Perra= Bitch, if you choose to interchange that with honey so be it. But i will tell your first hand you won't catch an upper or middle class person speaking like that even if they are only 15. It's street slang and in mexican and central american (el salvador, guatemala ect) is deemed inappropriate.

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
mofi said:
Perra= Bitch, if you choose to interchange that with honey so be it. But i will tell your first hand you won't catch an upper or middle class person speaking like that even if they are only 15. It's street slang and in mexican and central american (el salvador, guatemala ect) is deemed inappropriate.

mofi, you just demonstrated how out of touch you are with reality! I suppose you've never heard of reggaeton? The lyrics of many reggaetons include the word PERRA or a variations of it. The actual dance is called PERREAR and when referring to the dance moves teens typically say PERREA or PERREO. Now, want to guess what they call a female reggaeton PERREO dancer? Would it be PERRA? I guess you were never a teen and never used slang. Slang is use by teens all over the world and it is not something new.

Referring to a female in slang by PERRA (as used by teens today- I don't condone it but it is what it is) came about from reggaeton and not from Hip Hop, Rap or R&B. It's not about Ludicrous, Emmenem, 50 cent or Dr. Dre..Et Al. It's about teens and what they identify with. Hasn't this always been like this? If you think reggaeton isn't widespread just tune your radio to 94.5, 94.9, 100.3, 104.5 or 106.5 (among others that play it) here in SD for regular non-stop reggaeton and for the use of the infamous PERRA term! And if this just isn't enough for you, Don Omar and Tego Calderon, reggeaton artists, are becoming quite popular in US and other places. So I guess the reggaeton slang will soon start to spread.

BTW lighten up! I suppose you don't act, talk and dress the same when at home relaxing as you do at the office. Same rule applies to slang, it's something typically used when hanging (that is slang for: spending time with) friends. As Ricky Ricardo use to say,"Honey I'm home". Hmmm ...wonder how dat would sound... Perra, I'm home. LOL

NotLurking

mofi

Feb 9, 2005
NotLurking said:
mofi, you just demonstrated how out of touch you are with reality! I suppose you've never heard of reggaeton? The lyrics of many reggaetons include the word PERRA or a variations of it. The actual dance is called PERREAR and when referring to the dance moves teens typically say PERREA or PERREO. Now, want to guess what they call a female reggaeton PERREO dancer? Would it be PERRA? I guess you were never a teen and never used slang. Slang is use by teens all over the world and it is not something new.

Referring to a female in slang by PERRA (as used by teens today- I don't condone it but it is what it is) came about from reggaeton and not from Hip Hop, Rap or R&B. It's not about Ludicrous, Emmenem, 50 cent or Dr. Dre..Et Al. It's about teens and what they identify with. Hasn't this always been like this? If you think reggaeton isn't widespread just tune your radio to 94.5, 94.9, 100.3, 104.5 or 106.5 (among others that play it) here in SD for regular non-stop reggaeton and for the use of the infamous PERRA term! And if this just isn't enough for you, Don Omar and Tego Calderon, reggeaton artists, are becoming quite popular in US and other places. So I guess the reggaeton slang will soon start to spread.

BTW lighten up! I suppose you don't act, talk and dress the same when at home relaxing as you do at the office. Same rule applies to slang, it's something typically used when hanging (that is slang for: spending time with) friends. As Ricky Ricardo use to say,"Honey I'm home". Hmmm ...wonder how dat would sound... Perra, I'm home. LOL

NotLurking
I am simply saying that in latin society people of the upper and middle class would not likely be taking about or like this. If you think i am incorrect so be it but this is what i have been told from many of my friends who happen to be from different parts of central american.

Below are the comments of a friend from el salvador,this is what she had to say:
tygue says:
yeah high class people do not talk like that
tygue says:
any person who talks like that comes from low class and has no respect
tygue says:
it is slang for HO

FYI- that was in specific reference to the examples you posted from your son. Also you might wish to know that this is comming from someone who is 21 and still involved in pop culture or however you would like to deem it.

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
? totally agree

I have asked four or five young people and it means B!tch!

Like you my b!tch, and you better get on your knees B!tch and B!tch you better be nice to me!!

This is the lowest of the low mysoginistic comments and just what the author meant.

I am sure you all want your kids to imitate 50 cent or the rest of that crew...
Phuck it, shoot them now and save the world some trouble!!

Hey man no offense taken, and I applaud your good idea of talking to him one on one!!

Here is the link to the article in the Times: http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/12/arts/music/12sann.html?th&emc=th

Dumb b!tches didn't do me right, I'm gonna cap their a$$es! (How can that be polite convrsation or even close to a social protest??

HB:::(:(:(

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
HB, I'm not saying it's a good thing... I digress.

Hillbilly said:
I have asked four or five young people and it means B!tch!

Like you my b!tch, and you better get on your knees B!tch and B!tch you better be nice to me!!

Really?

Here is a link to Reggaeton Dictionary from Mundo Reggaeton. Check for yourself what perra means. Here is a few listings note the bold listing below.

? El Perro: el SIDA, AIDS.
? ?Eso, perra!: ?Eso, mami!*
. Perrear: Bailar reggaeton.

*perra = mami NOT B!TCH in this use.
How would you say mami in english? Could that be honey?

NotLurking

mofi

Feb 9, 2005
Well if you believe that it means honey thats up to you.
I think what we have learned here is that unless you want to potentially get yourself in alot of trouble, because apparently this word can be translated in different ways, you might be smart to use another word that can not be discontrued in this manner.

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
mofi said:
Well if you believe that it means honey thats up to you.
I think what we have learned here is that unless you want to potentially get yourself in alot of trouble, because apparently this word can be translated in different ways, you might be smart to use another word that can not be discontrued in this manner.

Mofi, ay Dios mio, it is not what I believe! I don't use this term in any manner that might be construed as derogatory towards women and I don't encourage or promote anyone to use this word!! However the word is being used in music teens today are listening to. Understand? What I think or not is irrelevant. Teens will be teens. In this instance and in this type of music that is what the word means. I HAVE NO CONTROL OVER THAT, Mofi. I wish I did but I don't. If you want to hear the word being used in the manner I have described, listen to 'En La Disco Bailoteo by Wisin Y Yandel' or any of the many other reggaeton at your discos, music store or Spanish pop radio station nearest you.

A person asked the meaning (I supposed it was the slang meaning) of the term perra and I offered one definition this is the extent of my involvement. I did not coin the term nor do I record reggaeton. Por el amor de Dois mofi...

NotLurking

Status
Not open for further replies.