2 weeks in a tiny community

windrifter

Dec 29, 2004
:classic: Hi everyone. I just returned from spending 2 weeks in a tiny community of Veragua. For those of you wondering where this is, it's located about 1/2 way between Cabarete and Gaspar Hernandez and slightly inland from the coast. My friend's wife was brought up in the surrounding area and they have built what may be a possible retirement home here. This home is the only home of its kind in the area. By this I mean it looks like what most gringos expect a spanish type home to look like and has 2 bedrooms a kitchen ,dining and living room with indoor plumbing. electricity and running water. Next door is a small 3 room concrete casita (no kitchen or indoor plumbing) that she had built herself before she met her present husband. She also owns a small local tienda that is run for her by her widowed sister and niece. The rest of the homes here are extremely poor usually no more than one or two rooms constructed of old wood with a concrete floor. Each home is kept meticulously clean inside and they always seem to have room for one more guest to sit down and you are always offered coffee or water or food. The second day of the trip a major transformer in the district blew and we had neither hydro or water for the next three days , fortunately everyone drinks bottled water and I am used to camping so it wasn't a real hardship for me. The rest of the locals use the river that ran behind us for bathing and laundry normally so it didn't make much difference to them but did cause me one potentially embarrassing moment when i went for a walk and came across a family with young boys splashing joyously in and out of the water naked. The boys saw me and quicky dived in covering themselves and I quickly turned my body position so I was not directly looking at them. They then went back to their running in and out as if I wasn't there. Once the transformer was fixed we still had blackouts every day until about 11:00 o'clock at night so we had romantic suppers by candlelight that were prepared for us by various members of her family including her sons who live in the district. They would casually drop by sit and have a presidente then get up and prepare plantain and rice and either fish or chicken for everyone, stay and chat for a while then leave. I understand that this provides them with a meal for themselves but it also gives them the dignity of knowing they earned it by preparing it. One day a family friend stopped a man on the road who had fish he had just caught. She purchased the fish then brought them into our house cooked and cleaned them along with rice and plantain, set us all down to eat, got up did the dishes then said good-by and left. Now try that in North America!! Well, I now know what it's like to ride with 3 adults and one small child on a small motorcycle(motoconcho) through the washed out ,potholed backroads in the dark. Let me tell you it is rather hair raising but I became quite comfortable with riding by the end of the 2 weeks. I also learned what it's like to travel with 22 people crowded into a small van as this was the quickest way to travel between towns.(.By the way I am no longer a young woman in years being over 65 though I am fortunate enough that most people don't realize this, so, the motoconcho rides were quite a feat for me !) . I was taken around to meet her family and old friends and was overwhelmed by their generosity and genuine hospitality and I can now understand better why Dominicans go to other countries to better their situation but still want to return home to live in the end. There is a feeling of community belonging and open heartedness that is lacking in our N. American countries. I also know that there are many well to do Dominicans but this was my first really intimate encounter with the people who i believe make up the majority of the population. These people were hard working, turning their hand to anything respectable to earn a little dinero. Poor materialistically but rich in spirit. . People tend to shy away from things that are different to what they are used to and in doing so miss out on some of lifes' richest experiences and rewarding friendships. I can only say that I am thankful for the opportunity I was given and hope to continue. If life is good to me I hope to return in September and who knows what adventure awaits me.

Elizabeth :rambo:

Last edited:

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
These are some of the experiences that are sorely lacking from out turista visits to the DR. Good for you-the motoconcho rides must have been something. I personally hate those buses, where the theory is "let 3 off and pile 8 more on". But hey, it gets you around!!

LatinoRican

Apr 11, 2004
Great Post!

Your post reminded me of an experience I had in a "campo" around Puerto Plata some years ago. I went with some friends to an acquaintances house which seemed in the middle of nowhere. We forded several streams in a jeepeta and drove inland until we came upon a clearing and a large wooden house. On the way, we passed several "bohios" or small, wooden houses with thatched roofs and earthen floors. Once at the house, we were warmly greeted, invited to sit under a huge mango tree, and offered a cold Presidente. After a while, the woman of the house decided to cook for us, so one of her sons went to cut down some green plantains to boil. In the meantime, she took a few handfuls of corn and stepped out into her yard or "batey." There she made a loud, clucking sound and threw the corn on the ground. Immediately, dozens of chickens, ducks, and turkeys came running to peck at the corn. Then she walked around and grabbed a young turkey while it was pecking at the corn. "Aqu? est? el almuerzo!" (Here is our lunch!) she said as she headed with the turkey under her arm back into the house. We were then invited for a swim in the river while lunch was being prepared. We enjoyed the cold, clear water for quite some time until we were called back to eat. We went into the house to find that a long table had been set for us! On it were the fruits of the Dominican campo: ensalada verde con aguacates, boiled platanos, stewed turkey, and rice. I beleive that only the rice had been bought at a store, the rest was taken from or cultivated right on their land. I forgot to mention that their was no electricity or running water in the house. They got by with a battery operated radio and their water they got from the nearby river. However, they were very happy and optimistic people and seemed to live their lives unburdened by the "necessities" of modern, city life.

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
Great post thanks for sharing! Glad you enjoyed your trip!

I agree with you that's why I don't want to live in North America for the rest of my life ;) And that's why many people fall in love with the DR!
Quote windrifter:
There is a feeling of community belonging and open heartedness that is lacking in our N. American countries.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Fantastic report!

Many of the best times we have had in the DR were with "ordinary " folk whose income may be insignificant but whose hearts are solid gold!

heldengebroed

Bronze
Mar 9, 2005
Reminds me off my fathers trip last year.
I'm married to a dominicana and allthough my mother went to the DR my father had always refused to do so and thus didn't have a clue what we were talking about when we were together. So christmas 2003 my father had a little to much beer in his belly and proclaimed that he would like to go to carnaval in the DR with his stephdaughter. Next day he denied that he had said it but i bought him a ticket anyhow.
Reluctantly he went...
For 2 weeks we didn't had any direct contact with him, which made us rather nervous (what if he didn't liked it)
Untill the present day we only have vague discriptions of what he has been doing, including traveling around the country with Francis on a moto, Visiting SD with an armed bodygaurd, appearing on television in a soap etc.

Every time we talk about the DR a strange smile appears on his face

I wonder why ;)

Greetings

Johan

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
Heart felt

Thank you Elizabeth for this post. About 10 days ago I was up a deserted track in the area you mention when I had a puncture. No cell phone reception, my jack was jammed and not a soul around. Suddenly about 3 men arrived, put rocks together and solved my problem. The people, the people. Those cynical on here are thinking they were after some money. Think on!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I know that area and it is precious

I am so glad you found the "real" Dr...and were kind enough to share it with DR1...

While this goes on all the time with visitors, not all will let the secret out! :D:D:D

Wonderful read.

HB :D:D:D

Milagro02

Sep 29, 2004
recent visit to this Veragua house

Im freshly back.. Got home Monday night. I just spent the last month in Angela and Dennis's house. Althought I met Dennis for not more then half an hour, I had the pleasure of knowing Angela for about a week. My stay was great. Althought I didn't have any expectations (anything can happen in the DR) I was pleasently suprised and very glad to have found this house then anywhere i rented so far..
I had what I did ask for and lots lots more, which was, a place to take a shower and sleep.
The house like is well furnished and has all the necesities we, north american electricity dependent, folks need. BBQ, washing machine, big fridge, and all kitchen appliances you may want.. Just need to be carefull with the inversor and turn off some lights so that it doesn't die on you..:cheeky: (there a still 4 more batteries that are yet to be connected plus a planta)
I had a better relationship with the other neighbours then the imediate family, but it's only because I wasn't there as much.. Would come late at night and farely leaving early in the morning.. I must say that Oneida (3rd neighbour) make the best "caf? au lait" I had ever drink, and she passed with flying colors on her cooking skills which my family in law had the pleasure to eat.

Overall, I do recommend this house to anyone who would like the experience of the real life out of tourist country without losing all commodities, but speaking spanish is a must.

Dennis, I might be sending people your way and wait to ear from me for my next visit.. ;)

Milagro02

Sep 29, 2004
the house is..

Actually the house is in Veragua just before the tiny bridge that leads to el Batey and Maria. It's a five min walk from the main road and 15min walk from el cruce de Moca in Sabaneta, or on the concho (10p to the main road or 20 into Sabaneta) The house is well built and it is in a cul-de-sac so to speak. It does have a roof like our house (lets you sleep when it's raining) the river is right in the backyard, and the owner's family lives right next door, if you ever need anything.

I did the commute everyday to Cabarete and never had any problems getting there and was always under 30min (guagua style)

don't know if I can post a link here but there it is:

DominionRepublichome4rent - Home 4 Rent

Tell them Sophie sent you. ;)

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
La dolce vita.

Sometimes, our most unforgettable, heartwarming experiences come from very simplistic events in our life.

What can possibly be more beautiful than witnessing a scarlet sunset beyond the sea shared with your lover, embraced in mind and body?

The satisfaction of mingling with people in whose faces happiness and serenity are so very evident?

Sitting in the shade of the front porch of your 'casa de campo', with the warm breeze fluttering the leaves of the palm trees, and quietly contemplating nature while sipping a Presidente?

What can be more orgasmic?

Milagro02

Sep 29, 2004
Sitting in the shade of the front porch of your 'casa de campo', with the warm breeze fluttering the leaves of the palm trees, and quietly contemplating nature while sipping a Presidente?

What can be more orgasmic?

YUP that's it

kent

Jan 5, 2005
I moved to DR in 1974, an very much of the country was just as you said, but its changing to fast.
Kent

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Very nice to read such a good post ! It makes me remember why I love my adoptive nation ! Sometimes we tend to b1tch a little too much, but I also experimented such simple and sincere moments !