Slick Willy to woo Dems?? For how much?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Slick William Clinton has come out in favor of the DR-CAFTA legislation currently circulating the convoluted paths of the democratic process in the US Senate.

Gee, I wonder if he is doing this out of love for the golf course in La Romana or if he is now a registered lobbyist for the DR?? Since this has to be a matter of public record--at least in the Unted States it does, who will be the first DR1er to get to the bottom of this??

Oh yeah, this is also the guy that has promised to help the DR get Arab investment money....how much will his cut be??

HB :p:p

shadInToronto

On Vacation....
Nov 16, 2003
And what's the point

If indeed Bill Clinton is a paid lobbyist for the DR Government on CAFTA, so what, it would be adding great influence to get legislation passed for CAFTA. Whether it is Clinton or any other lobbyist, someone has to get the message to the US Congress and Senate and who better to do that than Clinton.

That is the way legislation gets passed in the US (hire a bunch of lobbyists to get your message to the right committee members); you should know that better than anyone else HB.

The Bush family used their influence in the US Supreme Court to 'win' an election in 2000 - influence peddling is the American way.

jsizemore

Bronze
Aug 6, 2003
missed the point

The question was not about whether him doing it was legimate but whether he was getting paid and would have the integirty to admit it.
Another words peddling influence.
John

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Hillbilly said:
Slick William Clinton has come out in favor of the DR-CAFTA legislation currently circulating the convoluted paths of the democratic process in the US Senate.

Gee, I wonder if he is doing this out of love for the golf course in La Romana or if he is now a registered lobbyist for the DR?? Since this has to be a matter of public record--at least in the Unted States it does, who will be the first DR1er to get to the bottom of this??

Oh yeah, this is also the guy that has promised to help the DR get Arab investment money....how much will his cut be??

HB :p:p

Note DR did get Arab investment -- Dubai ports company invested heavily in the Port of Caucedo facility.

shadInToronto

On Vacation....
Nov 16, 2003
Was he asked

I haven't read that anyone has questioned ex-president Clinton on this matter (and I'm a news junkie). What right do you (or anyone else) have to question anyone's business dealings? and do you reveal all your business dealings publicly?

People are entitled to their privacy.

jsizemore said:
The question was not about whether him doing it was legimate but whether he was getting paid and would have the integirty to admit it.
Another words peddling influence.
John

jsizemore

Bronze
Aug 6, 2003
not just an ex president

When someone becomes presidient they give up there right to privacy dealing with buisiness and so forth. His very pressence can be taken as a public endorsement by the United States. Ex Presidents of the United States are given a level of respect and stature by the American People. When addressing him he is still addressed as Mister President. As such he has obligations to the population that is paying him a pension and a full time secret service staff to be his body guards.
Ex Presidents get utilized by sitting presidents as special envoys many times. So as private citizen Clinton with a title that still carrys a certain official status and influence due to the office he held he has no private business dealings.
No one is challenging his right nor challenging whether it is improper for him to lobby. It is just is he doing it out of commitment to humanity? A means to be involved and fell useful? Or is he making money off of the deal. All legimiate as long as there is full disclosure. When there is full disclosure there is no rumors.
John

xamaicano

Apr 16, 2004
shadInToronto said:
I haven't read that anyone has questioned ex-president Clinton on this matter (and I'm a news junkie). What right do you (or anyone else) have to question anyone's business dealings? and do you reveal all your business dealings publicly?

People are entitled to their privacy.

You guys may care about the issues up there in Canada, but down here in the U.S. we picks teams. So whether his visit is good or bad thing simple depends on what team you are on.

shadInToronto

On Vacation....
Nov 16, 2003
I admire your honesty

I may disagree with you on the approach but, at least you're honest about it.

xamaicano said:
You guys may care about the issues up there in Canada, but down here in the U.S. we picks teams. So whether his visit is good or bad thing simple depends on what team you are on.

boca chica dave

Sep 25, 2004
Slick Willie and Leonel

I think they are old chums from the past. Maybe even met in college in the US. Willie may be beholding to Leonel for favors received on the golf course. There have probably been "hummers" included with golf; and not the 4 wheel type! and how about all the cigars Willie can toy with while in the DR!

fortywater

May 4, 2005
jsizemore said:
When someone becomes presidient they give up there right to privacy dealing with buisiness and so forth. His very pressence can be taken as a public endorsement by the United States. Ex Presidents of the United States are given a level of respect and stature by the American People. When addressing him he is still addressed as Mister President. As such he has obligations to the population that is paying him a pension and a full time secret service staff to be his body guards.
Ex Presidents get utilized by sitting presidents as special envoys many times. So as private citizen Clinton with a title that still carrys a certain official status and influence due to the office he held he has no private business dealings.
No one is challenging his right nor challenging whether it is improper for him to lobby. It is just is he doing it out of commitment to humanity? A means to be involved and fell useful? Or is he making money off of the deal. All legimiate as long as there is full disclosure. When there is full disclosure there is no rumors.
John

What about The Bush family's dealings with the Saudis and the Carlyle group? Could you please point me to the public information about that? I would think that middle eastern relationships would fall under more scrutiny given the war on terror. I'm not being facetious, I really would like to know.

jsizemore

Bronze
Aug 6, 2003
Dr

I have never worried about that because that is the side I am on and also it is accepted knowlege of the relatiosnhip. But as far as it goes I feel it should be public information.
I wish I could point you in the right direction.
As far as the formor president Clinton and the relationship with the DR goes the question posed was did he get a cut from brokering any deals? Or was he doing this out of the goodness of his heart? The Clintons has visited the DR a few times and it would not be hard to imagine soemone lobbying Formor President Clinton. Also with the Dominican Comunity in Nuava York that his motives are earning votes for his trainer.
But this board is DR related and not Saudia Arabia so I am only commenting on the parts that relate to the DR.
John

shadInToronto

On Vacation....
Nov 16, 2003
You can't have it both ways

You were very adamant about full disclosure by former and current presidents, which encompasses all business dealings including DR realted and all other countries. However, now you're limiting the issue to DR since your 'team' control the levers of power today and they haven't acknowledge their secret dealings with the 'self appointed royals' in Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, etc. etc. etc.

Don't hide behind semantics, just admit it's none of our business what former President Clinton does as it will eventually be public knowledge when he files his taxes.

jsizemore said:
When someone becomes presidient they give up there right to privacy dealing with buisiness and so forth. His very pressence can be taken as a public endorsement by the United States. Ex Presidents of the United States are given a level of respect and stature by the American People.

All legimiate as long as there is full disclosure. When there is full disclosure there is no rumors.
John

jsizemore

Bronze
Aug 6, 2003
Wife is a seanator

I said in the case of the said connection I was not worried because it was my party in question but I still felt it needed to be public. As far as my reference to being not related to the DR I am self moderating.
As long as he has status a Representative of the American People whether real or perceived his business dealings are everyones business.
In a post in the past there was a discussion of proper behavior of a retired US Military officer. The individual volunteered that he was staying out of any look of involvement of politics in the DR due to his status a inactive reservist in the military.
This individual understands that as a former official of the United States he is still representing the service that he was in as well as the Government he served.
I will be living down in the DR. If I do anything that would get me arrested the headline will read Retired American Military. I have an obligation for the rest of my life to behave in a manner that does not bring discredit to the service I served in nor the country I served.
Most individuals knowledge of our military that of the scandals. It is my responsibility to not add to the problems. If an ex-president is using his status for personal gain then that becomes my business.
Let us not forget Senator Clinton the one that votes for treaties such as DRCrafta. Could not Former President Clinton's receiving money for a lobbying effort be a conflict of interest since his wife has a vote on said treaty.
I am not being a hypocrite. I am keeping my topics DR related.

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Yo! Dude! the deal is that

Slick Willy is there in the papers all pearly whites with his arm around his little brown friend from that tiny little country in the Caribbean. These two are politicians.

So the deal is that the reporter says that Willy will be pushing for the DR-CAFTA legislation to be approved. All well and good. The question I posed is whether he will do this as a favor to his "democratic' friend in the DR or is he, a man with a lot of pending bills to pay, going to be paid by this po' l'il country?

And yes, he must reveal whether he is a registered lobbyist for the DR or not.

And, of course, our interns are better than all the Monicas in the world!!

And Leonel doesn't know one end of a golf club from another.

I don't really give a hoot, but the irony and the sarcasm of the situation as posed in the papers makes me want to barff....

HB :(:(

frank alvarez

Apr 13, 2004
Much better than Bush!

"Willy", as former president Clinton is disrespectfully called in this thread, proved that he is way, way a much better president than the current one and many of his Republican predecessors including his father. Heck, Leonel
would make a much better U.S. president than Bush. Clinton-bashing has
become fashionable by Republicans/right wingers and their sympathizers,
obviating that the 8 years in which Mr. Clinton was president was one of the
most prosperous periods in recent U.S. history. The DR is lucky to have a man of his stature, family included, in its corner.

I will take Clinton, Carter, Kennedy, Truman and FDR over any and all
Republican presidents past and future. The facts and the records are there for all to see! That is the humble opinion of this Dominican.

Last edited:

shadInToronto

On Vacation....
Nov 16, 2003
With one exception

President Abraham Lincoln was the exception to the Republican 'trash and burn' political strategy. He was a man of substance and believed in the inherent good in men - maybe he was a Democrat trying to reform the Republican Party. But, they killed him as they (right wingers) are incapable of seeing good in their fellow men reagrdless of differences in faith, colour, etc. etc.

frank alvarez said:
I will take Clinton, Carter, Kennedy, Truman and FDR over any and all
Republican presidents past and future.

Last edited:

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
To all of you!!

While I really enjoy a good hard debate, this discussion is getting a little out of hand!

To our Canadian friend, perhaps you should go back to the turn of the previous century and really review the actions of the US presidents in the International Political mileau! I think a scholarly review of those actions will be a revelation to you. Both Democrats and Republicans have had their share of belicose, hard-driving and effective leaders in the office of the Presidency. Both parties have also had their share of poke-along, wishy-washy dreamers.
All in all they have just about balanced each other out as to their effectiveness in office.

While Clinton may, or may not, be actively (and for remuneration) lobbying for the DR-CAFTA, he does have the reputation of being a very smooth politician.
I might add that the only reason he wasn't impeached was because Congress didn't want to further soil the already shaky image of the US in international eyes. Personally, I think he should have been impeached on moral grounds, but that is water under the bridge.

What IS important is the question of the passage of the DR-CAFTA as soon as possible. A lo depends on it being made official. And, YES, it has Pro's and Con's as to the overall and long range effect on the economies of the nations affected, INCLUDING the US! Let's get one thing straight, DR-CAFTA isn't JUST FOR the US economy, but for all the signatory nations.

Our Sr. NalOws, and others, both here and in the US, have focussed on the "corn-syrup" aspect of the agreement. Frankly, my tastebuds aren't so finely tuned as to be able to detect the difference between "corn-syrup" and "pure-sugar" in my soft drinks and candy anyway.

I personally think that when (if) the agreement passes, ou'll see a better quality merchandise, better quality canned goods, better quality beef products on the shelves than you see now without the agreement.

I know that I'm in a minority in my view of just how the DR-CAFTA will affect the economy here, but my statement above as to quality still stands.

Texas Bill

FALCON

May 8, 2005
No comparison...

I dont think Clinton and Carter belong in the same sentence as FDR. If you understand politics, you would know that FDR, although a Democrat, holds nothing else in common with these more recent Presidents. This is neither a compliment or critique of any of them, but Franks statement although innocent conveys a "Democrats are right and Republicans are wrong" ideology . The US party system isnt that simple.

As far as DR-CAFTA, I believe it will be beneficial for all involved countries, to be brief. Aside from squabbling about a few details, the concept is straight forward and positive.

Now if only somone could give me information about where to hold a genuine beach clambake in the DR, I'd be happy.

Miamimike

Jan 16, 2005
shadInToronto said:
You were very adamant about full disclosure by former and current presidents, which encompasses all business dealings including DR realted and all other countries. However, now you're limiting the issue to DR since your 'team' control the levers of power today and they haven't acknowledge their secret dealings with the 'self appointed royals' in Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, etc. etc. etc.

Don't hide behind semantics, just admit it's none of our business what former President Clinton does as it will eventually be public knowledge when he files his taxes.

Don't Forget to mention the Millions now deceased ex-President Reagan accepted from the Japanese immediately after leaving office in '88. The Ink was hardly dry on his retirement papers and he was accepting Lots of money from Foreign Goverments. On Mr. Jimmy Carter, I think he has represented the US Government in an extremely honorable manner by anyone's standards as evidenced by his Work in his in Habitat for Humanity(how many ex-presidents has anyone seen pounding nails as Carter has done in the construction of homes in many 3rd world countries?) and by the monitoring of free democratic elections in many countries by his Carter Center.He will be remembered more for what he DID after office then while in office.