Habichuelas

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
The dictionary says, habichuela - french bean

We were taught the fruit and vegetable names in Spanish today.

Beans came up as jud?as verdes. Also fr?jols-kidney beans.

Under jud?o, stringy, blanca/pinta, haricot/kidney bean, verde/ french green bean

I only knew them as habichuelas. Our teacher has never heard of this word.

What have I been putting in my "habichuelas y arroz" ? :laugh:

Are the other names for beans used in the DR?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Habas - white beans, I think sometimes also known as lima beans.

In most of the rest of the Spanish speaking world, habichuelas are green beans, and beans are, as you say, judias or frijoles. In the DR, though, they are habichuelas. It is confusing!

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Variations even with "frijoles"

Frijoles varies in the Spanish speaking world as well.

In some countries it's fr?joles (look at the accent) and in others it's frijoles. However, the meaning remains the same- beans.

LDG.

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
In Cuba, for example, habichuelas are green beans, what they call "habichuelas" in DR and PR, we call frijoles. White beans are sometimes also called jud?as. But in general, they are all called frijoles. Black, red, white and, of course, frijoles caritas, better known as one-eyed peas in the USA.

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
I think it is in Colombia where they say fr?joles. Am I right Lesley? I know that in Venezuela they say caraotas for beans.

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Juancarlos,

Yes you are right and specifically in the Antioquia region.

juancarlos said:
I think it is in Colombia where they say fr?joles. Am I right Lesley? I know that in Venezuela they say caraotas for beans.

Last edited:

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Interesting question!

I once asked my maid about the difference between habichuelas and frijoles....
the following was her explanation ( I should add she was educated to a grade 10 level):
"Habichuelas are any dried bean and frijoles are fresh beans- be they the long chinese/french or Italian variety! Some people will call the dried beans by their "other" name ie. abbas etc but most people just call them habichuelas as in habichuelas blanca or habichuleas roja."

My response to her....."Hmmmmmm"! ;)

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
It also depends in the dictionaries you look it up under,
In many spanish dictionaries you will get Kidney beans for the definition.

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
In part of el Cibao (i.e the hills of tenares) they call what it is known as habichuelas in the capital, frijoles. I remember going to el campo for lent and my aunt would say "estoy haciendo frijoles con dulce para Viernes santo" instead of habichuelas con dulce. Frijoles in the capital is a specie of habichuela that is a small white bean with a black head.

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
Qu? vaina!

Green beans in Spanish, to me, are "vainas" or "vainitas" - and not out of vocabularular :))) laziness, I believe that is their name.

Status
Not open for further replies.