TRANSPORTATION TO Puerto Plata

Starz_in_my_eye

Nov 29, 2003
Hi All

Can anyone tell me is there any transportation from Santiago to Puerto Plata? And roughly how much would that be in American $$$?

Thanx

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Caribe Tours has a bus that goes hourly from Santiago to Puerto Plata from 6 or 7 in the morning until the evening. Cost will be US$3-4.00.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Ken said:
Caribe Tours has a bus that goes hourly from Santiago to Puerto Plata from 6 or 7 in the morning until the evening. Cost will be US$3-4.00.
So does Javilla Tours-slightly cheaper.

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
I have taken both from Puerto Plata to Santiago and back again and prefer Caribe Tours. Both are air conditioned but Javilla buses don't have tinted windows or curtains (which is important to me because the sun is just so bright and my eyes are very sensitive) and the seats are WAY more comfortable on Caribe Tours. The Javilla buses have more like guagua type seating and if I remember correctly, it took longer because it made more unscheduled stops along the side of the road to let people off.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Fiesta Mama is right. Comparing the two, Caribe Tours is first class and Javilla is a poor second.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Ken said:
Fiesta Mama is right. Comparing the two, Caribe Tours is first class and Javilla is a poor second.

BUT! javilla is slightly cheaper. Than $4.00. Even zero is only slightly cheaper when you start at $4.00.

Starz_in_my_eye

Nov 29, 2003
Thanx But.....

Ok guys I have given it a second thought and maybe bussing it is not the way. Does anyone know a reliable person that would be able to transport 4 young ladies?

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Starz_in_my_eye said:
Ok guys I have given it a second thought and maybe bussing it is not the way. Does anyone know a reliable person that would be able to transport 4 young ladies?

You can always order a private car with driver if you prefer that.
Hopefully someone living in Santiago and reading this can help you.
As the flight comes to Santiago the best is to have someone who lives there, if the flight is delayed etc.
I know several good and reliable drivers otherwise here in Puerto Plata who you can book.
If needed, just let me know.

Starz_in_my_eye

Nov 29, 2003
Thanx

Thanx guys for the info. Exactly WHERE can I catch this Caribe Tour Bus, and exactly WHERE in Puerto Plata will it leave us?
;)

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
Best bet

Starz_in_my_eye said:
Thanx guys for the info. Exactly WHERE can I catch this Caribe Tour Bus, and exactly WHERE in Puerto Plata will it leave us?
;)

wait for HB to post, the station is one minute from his house if that. He'll walk you through it no problem. ;) BTW the bus and service is quite good. Enjoy

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Look, there is a cheap way and there is a comfortable way

The cheap way is to take a cab from the airport (RD$450 pesos) {Change some money at the airport}. Have them take you to Caribe Tours in Santiago. Tell them

Caribe Tours, Los Jardines (har deen es). It is about a 15 minute ride.

From there, like they say a bus to Puerto Plata or Sosua or wherever.

The comfortable way would be to email Roc?o at "palomalinda0890@hotmail.com"
And ask her to send her husband -JJ- to pick you up. Explain how many you are in case four women with bags are too much.

then I have another one for you, but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it. Check out Roc?o first.

The price for pick up at the airport to Puerto Plata is $50 US dollars. To Sosua it is $60 US dollars.

Cordially,

HB :D:D:D

Starz_in_my_eye

Nov 29, 2003
Hillbilly said:
The cheap way is to take a cab from the airport (RD$450 pesos) {Change some money at the airport}. Have them take you to Caribe Tours in Santiago. Tell them

Caribe Tours, Los Jardines (har deen es). It is about a 15 minute ride.

From there, like they say a bus to Puerto Plata or Sosua or wherever.

The comfortable way would be to email Roc?o at "palomalinda0890@hotmail.com"
And ask her to send her husband -JJ- to pick you up. Explain how many you are in case four women with bags are too much.

then I have another one for you, but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it. Check out Roc?o first.

The price for pick up at the airport to Puerto Plata is $50 US dollars. To Sosua it is $60 US dollars.

Cordially,

HB :D:D:D

Thanx HB

Now would that be $50 per person or per carload. There are 4 of us and we some biggins! lol

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
It would be for the whole vehicle.,

I aam going to suggest that you try Transporte Jimenez and I will provide an email address tomorrow morning.

.HB ::D:D

bozorboso

May 16, 2005
caribe

when taking a cab from the santiago airport to caribe tours....do i have to go outside of the airport to find a cab or is there some sort of service right at the airport? if both, which is cheaper?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
There are cabs right there

There will be guys waiting outside the doors from the Customs Area. Rate to the city is RD$450 and it should be posted on the right side as you come out.

HB :D:D

bozorboso

May 16, 2005
Hillbilly said:
There will be guys waiting outside the doors from the Customs Area. Rate to the city is RD$450 and it should be posted on the right side as you come out.

HB :D:D
thanks Hillbilly!...but on the right side of what? the customs area, or the taxi?
here's another question: in what situations are you supposed to tip.....bus, taxis, motoconchos, restaurants, etc? also, how much of a tip is appropriate?

smccord

Jul 16, 2007
transport from Puerto Plata Airport to Santiago

Hi I too will be visiting the DR in November. There will 3 or 4 of us (not sure yet). The best flight is into Puerto Plata and then out of Santiago, so we will need a van to take us from POP to a hotel in Santiago. Also, does anyone know of a good,safe, resonable hotel near the University (PUMCA) in Santiago.

jwhanleyjr

Aug 8, 2007
www.godleadsus.com
Caribe Tours - Pack a Jacket

Caribe Tours is a great way to travel. My only suggestion is to pack a light jacket or sweat shirt, it may depend on the time of year, but in March we were freezing.

On hot days we have consider just taking a trip from Sosua to Santiago and back for the AC. :classic:

John