K-1 visa/grad student sponsor

VermontDR

May 12, 2005
Hi all.

My fiance and I are about to start the processing of applying for a K-1 visa. I have a couple of questions that I hope you can help me with.

1) income requirement - while my income has never been an issue, I am about to start graduate school in the fall as a full-time student. I have already made the income requirement (times many) this year, but will not have an income after July. Will this affect the visa application?

My program will only take me a year of on campus study, so I will be finished by May 2006 & able to work again.

2) What kind of hurdles have any of you run into? What shoulc I be sure to sort out before I send the initial application?

Thanks
Andrea

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Let me get this straight

You are wealthy, a college graduate, about to begin grad school and your "fianc?" does not even have a Visa to visit the US?

After the "Glow" wears off what are you going to talk about with this guy? Can he play bridge? Does he golf? Does he even have his own passport?
Has he graduated from High School?

Please tell me he is a graduate of a very good university in the DR, holds a responsible job and will be joining you for his vacation this summer? He has given you a nice engagement ring that his family sent him from New York. Tell me you are not his meal ticket out of the Dominican Republic?

AW schitt, why bother? Whatever!!:(:(:(:(:(

HB

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
It is a process of putting together a lot of paperwork. You have to prove your past income and current income. So if you do not have a current income...you may have problems. How long have you and your fiancee been together and do you have documents and photos to prove your relationship?

twincactus

Aug 9, 2004
www.dominicanstotheusa.com
They may let you slide if you can prove you will be back making the same money again next year given your track record. I would not chance it though. There are two ways to do it. One would be to get a co-sponsor. the other is to show that you have assets equal to 5 times 125% of the poverty line guidelines for the current year. Since it sounds like you may be well to do anyway, that may be your best option, but be prepared. You will have to take deeds, titles, certified bank statements, etc to the interview to prove your point.

The 2005 income guidelines are at:
http://uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/files/I-864p.pdf

For more information here is the official government site:
http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/affsupp.htm#income

Although that link is for the I-864, you will have to file that anyway when you adjust status in the US. The K visas use form I-134.

If you need more info, PM me, or ask in the forum.

Hope this helps,

-Tim

VermontDR

May 12, 2005
Hillbilly - broken record

Hillbilly - it would helpful if you actually stuck to the thread and answered my question. I am not falling for your bait which I have seen splashed all over the boards. Your are passing judgements without knowing anything, and I mean anything, about who my financee and I are. It's honestly a waste of my time and everyone else's. If you must spend your energy on this topic (as opposed to the one I brought up), please go after some more naive, desperate souls whose threads reak of inexperience. There are plenty, I agree.

I am not applying for your approval of my relationship. I am hoping for some constructive visa assistance here. If any of you can help me that'd be great.

VermontDR

May 12, 2005
twincactus said:
They may let you slide if you can prove you will be back making the same money again next year given your track record. I would not chance it though. There are two ways to do it. One would be to get a co-sponsor. the other is to show that you have assets equal to 5 times 125% of the poverty line guidelines for the current year. Since it sounds like you may be well to do anyway, that may be your best option, but be prepared. You will have to take deeds, titles, certified bank statements, etc to the interview to prove your point.

The 2005 income guidelines are at:
http://uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/files/I-864p.pdf

For more information here is the official government site:
http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/affsupp.htm#income

Although that link is for the I-864, you will have to file that anyway when you adjust status in the US. The K visas use form I-134.

If you need more info, PM me, or ask in the forum.

Hope this helps,

-Tim

Thanks, Tim. That was very helpful.

VermontDR

May 12, 2005
Snuffy said:
It is a process of putting together a lot of paperwork. You have to prove your past income and current income. So if you do not have a current income...you may have problems. How long have you and your fiancee been together and do you have documents and photos to prove your relationship?

Thanks, Snuffy. This is helpful. It just means I have to gather a bunch of documents. We will be able to prove the history of our relationship no problem. I have thousands of pages of correspondence, as well as phone records. I am not worried about that at all. Thanks again.

jskr1us

Apr 29, 2003
Income Requirements

The Income requirement for a sponser can be satisfied in many ways. The requirement is that you can prove that you will be able to handel all expences and your fiancee will not become a liability of the government. You can do this by proveing you have assets, property, savings ect. and you can also get a sponser (possibly your parents). If all else is in place and you have money (or your family has money) no problem. see this site; http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/affsupp.htm

onmywaytoRD

Apr 15, 2005
jskr1us said:
The Income requirement for a sponser can be satisfied in many ways. The requirement is that you can prove that you will be able to handel all expences and your fiancee will not become a liability of the government. You can do this by proveing you have assets, property, savings ect. and you can also get a sponser (possibly your parents). If all else is in place and you have money (or your family has money) no problem. see this site; http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/affsupp.htm

Thanks jsk!