espinacas /spinich
guisantes /peas
jud?as verdes, habichuelas /green beans/beans
lentejas /lentils
ma?z /corn
r?banos /radishes
remolachas /beets
zanahorias /carrots

some are easy to translate but I never would have guessed zanahorias as carrots. ;)

Add to the list any other you can think of or if they have a differnet name in the DR.

stewart

Mar 1, 2004
Anna Coniglio said:
alcachofas /artichokes
batatas /sweet potatoes
berenjena /eggplant
cebollas /onions
champi?ones /mushrooms
coliflor /califlower
esp?rragos /asparagus
espinacas /spinich
guisantes /peas
jud?as verdes, habichuelas /green beans/beans
lentejas /lentils
ma?z /corn
r?banos /radishes
remolachas /beets
zanahorias /carrots

some are easy to translate but I never would have guessed zanahorias as carrots. ;)

Add to the list any other you can think of or if they have a differnet name in the DR.

In DR Spanish, some of these items have different names.
Mushrooms are called hongos (word for fungus)
Green beans are called vainitas.
Peas are more commonly called pitipua. Guandules are much more commonly eaten. They look like peas.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Also, in the DR vegetables are known as 'vegetales' not 'legumbres' or the other common word, 'verduras'.

'Verdura' (also 'verdurita') refers specifically to fresh coriander (also called 'cilantrico').

'Champi?ones' and 'hongos' are both used. Another word - not so common - is 'setas'.

Cabbage (not on the list) is 'repollo' in the DR, not 'col'.

mofi

Feb 9, 2005
How about, Pepino, Papas, Lechuga, Tomate/jitomate, Pimiento Verde
I don't know but someone told me pickles is pepinitos???

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
I am still learning...

...but I have eating the most delicious vegetables and fruits in DR that I had never tried before...

Unfortunately, I can't remember the names right now...one is green, looks like a green pepper but very light in color, and Tony's aunt Ana makes me a salad with that, 'cause she knows I eat tons of veggies...

One thing I had never tried before is 'ZAPOTE'...which I have no idea what kind of fruit it is, but my mother in law makes the best shakes out of it!!!

Mmm, Mmmm, good!

MQ

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
stewart said:
In DR Spanish, some of these items have different names.
Mushrooms are called hongos (word for fungus)
Green beans are called vainitas.
Peas are more commonly called pitipua. Guandules are much more commonly eaten. They look like peas.

Stwart,

Pitipua is the Dominican pronounciation for petite pois, the French word for peas.

I know in DR there is a pea called "alberjas" that looks like the green peas. I don't know if these are the same.

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
Musicqueen said:
...but I have eating the most delicious vegetables and fruits in DR that I had never tried before...

Unfortunately, I can't remember the names right now...one is green, looks like a green pepper but very light in color, and Tony's aunt Ana makes me a salad with that, 'cause she knows I eat tons of veggies...

One thing I had never tried before is 'ZAPOTE'...which I have no idea what kind of fruit it is, but my mother in law makes the best shakes out of it!!!

Mmm, Mmmm, good!

MQ

It could be Tayota = chayote.

stewart

Mar 1, 2004
mofi said:

Green pepper is "aji verde".
Pickles are "pepinillos".

stewart

Mar 1, 2004
Chirimoya said:
Also, in the DR vegetables are known as 'vegetales' not 'legumbres' or the other common word, 'verduras'.

'Verdura' (also 'verdurita') refers specifically to fresh coriander (also called 'cilantrico').

'Champi?ones' and 'hongos' are both used. Another word - not so common - is 'setas'.

Cabbage (not on the list) is 'repollo' in the DR, not 'col'.

Then there are the "viveres".
Which includes platanos and yucca.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
My favourite things - food and words!

mofi said:
Pepino (cucumber), papas (potato), lechuga (lettuce), tomate (tomato) are the same.

The Mexican 'jitomate' is never used. Pimiento verde is 'aji' - a Taino word.

Pickles are 'pepinillos'.

Musicqueen said:

I researched this once and there is no English word. It's common in Mexico and Central America where it is also called Zapote. It is very tangy and sweet, with a dull brown rind, sticky orange flesh, and large black pits. It's not really anything like a tayota/chayote, which is a pale green vegetable and very bland indeed.

Mr Chiri makes a mean zapote ice-cream - just one of the tricks we use to get Chirimoyito to eat fruit.

The one I haven't been able to find out much about is the 'granadillo'. Not a passionfruit, which in the DR is called chinola, but a large, pale yellowy/greeny, vine fruit, looks sort of like a melon, tastes a bit like a pear. It makes the most delicious drink, also very nice combined with passion fruit.

Or should we start another thread about fruit? Anna?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Musicqueen said:

This is probably aji cubanela, a variety of green pepper. They can be darker but recently I've noticed that all the ones on sale are very light green. Otherwise it could be molondrones (okra) but I doubt it.

stewart

Mar 1, 2004
Chirimoya said:
Pepino (cucumber), papas (potato), lechuga (lettuce), tomate (tomato) are the same.

The Mexican 'jitomate' is never used. Pimiento verde is 'aji' - a Taino word.

Pickles are 'pepinillos'.

I researched this once and there is no English word. It's common in Mexico and Central America where it is also called Zapote. It is very tangy and sweet, with a dull brown rind, sticky orange flesh, and large black pits. It's not really anything like a tayota/chayote, which is a pale green vegetable and very bland indeed.

Mr Chiri makes a mean zapote ice-cream - just one of the tricks we use to get Chirimoyito to eat fruit.

The one I haven't been able to find out much about is the 'granadillo'. Not a passionfruit, which in the DR is called chinola, but a large, pale yellowy/greeny, vine fruit, looks sort of like a melon, tastes a bit like a pear. It makes the most delicious drink, also very nice combined with passion fruit.

Or should we start another thread about fruit? Anna?

You better start a fruit thread. Because I want to talk about limoncillos.

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Yes!!

Tayota...that's what it's called...I know it doesn't have much taste, but it's better than not having any salad or veggies at all (which sometimes I have to do without, because nobody eats them at my in-laws house) ;)

I have already been training Tony about the food...first he's gonna HAVE to learn how to make HIMSELF rice, (I try not to eat carbs!) and he HAS to start trying different things...like ITALIAN food...which is my specialty! :bandit:

As for the Zapote, he has a shake a couple of times a week at work with a sandwich as breakfast, and before I tried it I used to ask him if he had his 'big frog' (sapo: frog, sapote: big frog!) shake that day! :nervous:

Yeah, I know...not too funny...guess you had to be there!

But it tastes really good as a shake, with milk, it's almost as good as an ice-cream...bet Chirimoyito would love it, also!

MQ

mofi

Feb 9, 2005
Musicqueen said:
Tayota...that's what it's called...I know it doesn't have much taste, but it's better than not having any salad or veggies at all (which sometimes I have to do without, because nobody eats them at my in-laws house) ;)

I have already been training Tony about the food...first he's gonna HAVE to learn how to make HIMSELF rice, (I try not to eat carbs!) and he HAS to start trying different things...like ITALIAN food...which is my specialty! :bandit:

As for the Zapote, he has a shake a couple of times a week at work with a sandwich as breakfast, and before I tried it I used to ask him if he had his 'big frog' (sapo: frog, sapote: big frog!) shake that day! :nervous:

Yeah, I know...not too funny...guess you had to be there!

But it tastes really good as a shake, with milk, it's almost as good as an ice-cream...bet Chirimoyito would love it, also!

MQ
Sapo means frog???? I thought it was rana, with the accent on the n sorry to tired to figure out the number combination for it.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
mofi said:
Sapo means frog???? I thought it was rana, with the accent on the n sorry to tired to figure out the number combination for it.

Rana = frog (nothing on the n)
Sapo = toad

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
mofi said:

In DR Sapo=Rana=Maco Which equal Frog and Toad.

Most Dominican say Maco. I don't know where it comes from but I don't think it is Spanish.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Bartolomeo67 said:
Yautia = calabaza (Spain) = pumpkin

Yautia is nothing like a calabaza. It's a root vegetable (tuber) similar to yuca (cassava, manioc) but rounder. The only other word I've come across that it's known by is 'taro'.

Status
Not open for further replies.