Jan 2, 2002
In English it's not Fruits but Fruit whereas in Spanish it's Frutas

albaricoque / apricot
cereza /cherries
ciruela /plum
compota de manzana o pur? de manzana / applesauce
franbuesas /raspberries
fresas / strawberries
guayaba / guava ( have no clue what this is)
lim?n / lemon
macedonia de fruta o coctel de frutas / fruit cocktail
manzana / apple
melocot?n / peach
mirtilos / blueberries
naranja / orange
pera / pear
pi?a / pineapple
pl?tano/ banana
sand?a / waterlemon
toronja / grapefruit
uvas/ grapes

Anyone know what a guava is in English?

And there's banana as we know them and then pl?tanos have to be cooked.

Let me know if you see any spelling mistakes and keep adding mas frutas. ;)

Last edited:

mofi

Feb 9, 2005
Guava is guava in english.
I've got another couple for the list as well
Durazno- Peach
Coco- Coconut

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
mofi said:
Guava is guava in english.

Sorry what I meant to say is what the heck is a guava? Never heard of it unless it's called something else.

Anyone have a picture?

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Thanks mofi. I'll have to see if I can find them. I like trying new fruit and vegetables. ;)

mofi

Feb 9, 2005
I am not sure where you live. You live in canada right? Well they sell them out here on the west coast at Save-On-Foods, but i guess that doesn't help unless you live in BC.

Nelly

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
It might be helpful to note the pronounciation for folks who are just learning. For example, uvas = oo vas or naranja = nah ran ha
Just a thought.
Cuidate (qwee dat tay)
Nelly ;)

mofi

Feb 9, 2005
Nelly said:
It might be helpful to note the pronounciation for folks who are just learning. For example, uvas = oo vas or naranja = nah ran ha
Just a thought.
Cuidate (qwee dat tay)
Nelly ;)
What might be more helpful is to teach teh vowel sounds, because most spanish words sound like the read as long as you remember the vowel sounds.
A-Ah E-Eh I-E O-O U-uw.......kinda like that. It's easier to say then it is to write the sounds.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Well, it is cereza for cherry.

Also you can add:

aguacate - avocado
lechoza - papaya
mango is the same in both languages
mel?n is a generic term for various melons (canteloupe, honeydew, etc)

Also, platanos in English would be plantains. What we know as a banana is called a guineo.

Bartolomeo67

Mar 18, 2004
china is more used in the DR for orange then naranja.
chinola, what is that one again?
limoncillo = similar to lichees, those green little things they sell on the beach
mamey = no idea how you translate that

Bartolomeo

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Bartolomeo67,

Chinola is "passion fruit" and the generic term in other Spanish speaking countries is maracuy?.

LDG.

Bartolomeo67 said:
chinola, what is that one again?
Bartolomeo

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Muy interesante

Anna,

This word is new for me. I have never heard mirtilo for blueberry. Do you know if this is the generic word? The only word I know for blueberry is ar?ndano which I thought was generic but I guess not. I just searched in the dictionary and they are synonyms.

LDG.

Anna Coniglio said:
In English it's not Fruits but Fruit whereas in Spanish it's Frutas

mirtilos / blueberries

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
To me, blueberry is "mora" or "mora az?l."

And, isn't guava "guayaba"? Sour little things, but OK as jam.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Jane,

Creo que "mora" significa blackberry y no es la misma fruta.

LDG.

Jane J. said:
To me, blueberry is "mora" or "mora az?l."

And, isn't guava "guayaba"? Sour little things, but OK as jam.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I have to look next time I go shopping but I think I've had guavas before. Are they the size of an egg and expensive in Canada. If so I know them by Italian/Sicilian name that I can't think of right now.

Lesley I have to check again what book they are teaching us from. Most of the fruit names are new to me. I only knew manzana, naranja, uvas, lim?n, pi?a, pl?tano, mel?n.

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
Anna, I am sure there plenty of guavas in DR. On your next trip there, make sure you try some. I love guavas, but only in jam, marmalade and especially as a dulce de guayaba bar, which Cubans love to eat with bread or crackers and with cream cheese. I love it and it's fattening as well. Many people eat the guavas from the trees when they are ripe. The only thing is they have a lot of seeds. In the state of Michoac?n, in Mexico, they have lots of guava and the guava bars I was talking about they call ate.

I also love mamey, but in milk shakes.

mofi

Feb 9, 2005
Lesley D said:
Anna,

This word is new for me. I have never heard mirtilo for blueberry. Do you know if this is the generic word? The only word I know for blueberry is ar?ndano which I thought was generic but I guess not. I just searched in the dictionary and they are synonyms.

LDG.
I must be really confused, because I was sure that when i asked for Jugo de arandano in the hotel I worked at that they gave me Cranberry juice. It sure tasted like cranberry juice and the picture was little red berries, and it also says aranadano in my spanish/english dictionary.

In my dictionary for blackberry it says - narzamora, i dunno i never heard that word before. i am really confused now.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Mofi no doubt...

I am not sure what hotel you are referring to but keep in mind names of fruit do vary from country to country. In particular tropical fruit names. However, blueberry is ar?ndano and now a synonym I learned as per Anna's list mirtilo.

As for mora it is definitely blackberry but can refer to other berries but not blueberry. I just confirmed in three dictionaries and all say the following. Pay specific attention to the name of the tree that bears the fruit.

Blackberry:

Fruto de la zarzamora.

Blueberry (ar?ndano) :

BOT. Fruto de esta planta ("esta planta" refers to ar?ndano), dulce y comestible: he comprado mermelada de ar?ndanos. Tambi?n se conoce como anavia, mirtilo y r?spano.

LDG.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
In Spain, arandano is definitely blueberry and mora - blackberry. Strawberry is fresa and raspberry - frambuesa. I have difficulties remembering all these.

It is true though that in some places cranberry is translated as arandano. For example I've read articles in Spanish newspapers and magazines about US Thanksgiving dinner referring to pavo con salsa de arandano.

These forest fruits are not common in most Spanish-speaking countries, hence the confusion over naming (my theory, anyway).

Status
Not open for further replies.