Roads after 3 days raining

andrea9k

Apr 17, 2004
Some friends and I will be on the roads from Santo Domingo to Samana, Samana to Sabana de la Mar, Sabana de la Mar back to Santo Domingo this weekend (May 14th-15th). Does anyone have updates on the conditions of the roads after these days? Any suggestions on the safer routes?

We were planning to do the easy route: Santo Domingo-San Francisco-Nagua-Sanchez-Samana (I always get lost around Cotui)...

Anyone around Las Terrenas? What is the condition of the road Sanchez-Las Terrenas? Floods or mudslides?

Any suggestions on how to get to Sabana de La Mar from Samana??

Is it raining this hard in Los Haitises? is it open to public?

Please, keep this thread factual.

Thanks

Jess.

Last edited:

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Wet Weekend

andrea9k said:
Anyone around Las Terrenas? What is the condition of the road Sanchez-Las Terrenas? Floods or mudslides?Any suggestions on how to get to Sabana de La Mar from Samana??

The Sanchez-Las Terrenas road is still OK, it's too steep to have floodings and I haven't heard about mudslides (yet).
You will have to take the passenger ferry from Santa Barbara de Saman? to the other side of the bay.
It's still raining here and I'm afraid bad weather will be around for some more time.
http://www.goes.noaa.gov/HURRLOOPS/huirloop.html

Come and see us if you are all soaked and need to dry in front of our fireplace ....

m'frog
www.samanave.com

Last edited:

andrea9k

Apr 17, 2004
mountainfrog said:
The Sanchez-Las Terrenas road is still OK, it's too steep to have floodings and I haven't heard about mudslides (yet).
You will have to take the passenger ferry from Saman? de Santa Barbara to the other side of the bay.
It's still raining here and I'm afraid bad weather will be around for some more time.
http://www.goes.noaa.gov/HURRLOOPS/huirloop.html

Come and see us if you are all soaked and need to dry in front of our fireplace ....

m'frog
www.samanave.com

Hey Froschli

I knew I could count on you ;)

Thanks for the report. Yep, a good fireplace in such wet weather will be great. I hope we can meet on saturday evening or sunday morning.

We wanted to go driving from Samana to Sabana de la Mar, is that possible? any known route? If it is impossible, we would take the ferry to Sabana de la Mar and go back to Santo Domingo from Samana.

Thanks again

Jess

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Mission impossible

andrea9k said:
We wanted to go driving from Samana to Sabana de la Mar, is that possible? any known route? If it is impossible, we would take the ferry to Sabana de la Mar and go back to Santo Domingo from Samana.

Well, even if you have an amphibious vehicle I would not advise to cross the bay by car. The sound is said to be very deep and you would want a very long snorkel ....
In other words it's impossible to cross by car as the ferry does not take vehicles (Bikes negotiable).
m'frog

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Hey, Jess, looks like you're going to get to Ca?o Hondo before we do - look forward to your report. Hope the weather is not too bad!

andrea9k

Apr 17, 2004
Chirimoya said:
Hey, Jess, looks like you're going to get to Ca?o Hondo before we do - look forward to your report. Hope the weather is not too bad!

Hi Ilana, thats is what we want... to see Las Terrenas, Ca?o Hondo and Los Haitises, but seems i will have to change my bathsuit for a waterproof suit, hiking boots and a long long snorkel (froggy's advice) :nervous:

Jess

andrea9k

Apr 17, 2004
mountainfrog said:
Well, even if you have an amphibious vehicle I would not advise to cross the bay by car. The sound is said to be very deep and you would want a very long snorkel ....
In other words it's impossible to cross by car as the ferry does not take vehicles (Bikes negotiable).
m'frog

Froschli

I had the idea by looking at this map... seems you can go around the bay (not across the bay): Samana, Sanchez, Ca?o Abajo, Arroyo Arroy?n (?), Sabana de La Mar.

We will try to make it on sunday morning.

Jess

andrea9k

Apr 17, 2004
mountainfrog said:
What an adventurous girl you are!
Ah, but I remember you've done it before ....

http://www.wreckedexotics.com/hummer/hummer_010703_001.shtml

2 spare tires, good idea! You know, you have a special way to suggest things!! :p

a long snorkel, 2 spare tires, i hope you are not suggesting a hummer it looks like a big ugly box to me.

Going back to the topic... Are there any roads as the map suggests???? or is it all jungle, dirt, or under this weather MUD?.

Jess

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
If it's going to be raining this weekend -- which it looks like it will -- best to rent a pick up or jeep-style car -- something high up. Problem is drainage, some roads that may be muddy, also getting across beaches. That is if you are going to go out of the main highways.

andrea9k

Apr 17, 2004
Dolores said:
If it's going to be raining this weekend -- which it looks like it will -- best to rent a pick up or jeep-style car -- something high up. Problem is drainage, some roads that may be muddy, also getting across beaches. That is if you are going to go out of the main highways.

Thanks Dolores, I suppose a high pick up truck will make it.

Jess