Where is Santiago Rodriguez?

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
It's in the border region between Valverde (Mao) and Dajabon, south of Monte Cristi provinces.

From Santiago, take the carretera Duarte going north (towards Monte Cristi) and after you pass the Maizal campo (before Laguna Salada, but after Bizono) make a left turn towards Mao. In Mao, get on route 20 going west and a few kilometers outside of town turn left towards route 18, going to Loa Quemados. This road passes through Santiago Rodriguez province and its provincial capital Sabaneta. Beyond that, the road leads all the way to Dajabon and into northern Haiti culminating in a crossroads with Cap Haitien north of there and Gonaives south.

Other ways of getting there is through route 16 from Santiago (the road that leads to San Jose de las Matas via Janico), I would not recommend this though.

Or you can take the route 18 from Santiago (after crossing the Fantino Bridge) and head towards Mao via the campos of La Canela and Guatapanal.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Just a few corrections

The bridge out of Santiago to the south is Hermanos Pati?o
The little town is Villa Bison? or better known as Navarrete.

Take the Joaqu?n Balaguer highway and go west. After you pass through Navarrete, Ponton, Cruce de Esperanza, Batey ,and Maizal, you come to Cruce de Guayacanes.
Turn left.When that road ends, turn right. In Mao there is a Shell station on the right as you come into town. Take the next right, a major, four lane avenue that ends at the Fortaleza. Turn right again. Stay to the left at the fork in the road. Follow that road all the way to Sabaneta. About 1/2 hour now.

HB :p

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
Hillbilly, you seem to be well travelled in DR. I've never been west of Santiago. Please tell me, have you ever had a chance to travel north-south along the border? How are the roads? Love to some day see this area if it's safe enough. Thanks.

pi?acolada

Mar 9, 2005
Dominican Rep map

Hillbilly said:
The bridge out of Santiago to the south is Hermanos Pati?o
The little town is Villa Bison? or better known as Navarrete.

Take the Joaqu?n Balaguer highway and go west. After you pass through Navarrete, Ponton, Cruce de Esperanza, Batey ,and Maizal, you come to Cruce de Guayacanes.
Turn left.When that road ends, turn right. In Mao there is a Shell station on the right as you come into town. Take the next right, a major, four lane avenue that ends at the Fortaleza. Turn right again. Stay to the left at the fork in the road. Follow that road all the way to Sabaneta. About 1/2 hour now.

HB :p

Here you have a very detailed map of the DR
http://www.hispaniola.com/DR/maps/DRmapLarge.html

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Sorry, Don Juan, I didn't see your post.

Yes, a great many years ago me and some buddies travelled from San Juan de la Maguana up to Dajab?n and Santiago Rodr?guez by the International Highway. Back then the bridges were made out of skinny logs and we had to git the Jeep's wheels just so, in order to get across. Today it is still a nasty road, but safe enough in the day time.

Our good friend ROBERT of DR1.com had travelled south from Neiba to Pedrnales and his report was a classic.

By all means, get a good stout 4 x 4 and do it. It isn't that long a trip and you can do it easily in a day.

HB :D:D

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Hillbilly said:
Our good friend ROBERT of DR1.com had travelled south from Neiba to Pedrnales and his report was a classic.

By all means, get a good stout 4 x 4 and do it. HB :D:D
Real men don't need no stankin 4x4 and we did it on a 2x4 just for your information. Funny thing was when we got to a Army checkpoint and we of course just drove through without stopping a soldier ran after us with a M-16 so we stopped. He asked where we cam from and Robert told him the last town and the soldier said "that is not possible there is NO road there". Robert laughed and said sorry friend but that was the last town and we finally drove off.

There was a road we did NOT take but that was on the way back from Pedanales to Santo Domingo in a National Park. Paid the money and started down and stopped the vehicle. I looked at Robert and said, "I have just been to hell and back and I ain't gonna do this road". We backed up and turned around and left the park. Bye bye...