mero /grouper or sea bass
ostra / oyster
pargo / snapper
platijia / flounder
red snapper / chillo
sardina o pica-pica/ sardines
shark / tibur?n
trucha / trout

I added oyster and shark got the translation online. Hope it's right.

Did I forget any fish?

And again are these kinds of fish called something different in the DR?

Last edited:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The only one that doesn't apply in the DR is 'gambas'. 'Camarones' is used for both shrimp and prawns.

Also, 'tuna' is often used instead of 'atun'. As nobody eats prickly pears, there is no confusion.:)

mofi

Feb 9, 2005
What about clams? I can't think of the spanish word right now, but I think the one someone told me also starts with a C. maybe not.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
You will see mero on many menus - it is either grouper or sea bass.

Last edited:

mofi

Feb 9, 2005
Anna Coniglio said:
Clams /almejas ? if so I'll add to list
This is what i saw in the dictionary but i thought there was another word. add this one for now and if i happen to remember the other word i will let you know.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Malibook said:
What about lambi?
Is this conch?

I'm not familiar with either word in English or Spanish :nervous:

Wow how did I forget lobster/langosta

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
When are crabs not cangrejo?????

When they are sea crabs (like King crab) they are referred to as centauro!
I believe cangrejo refers to the crabs that you buy along the roadsides that come from land/rivers......

Don't forget chio (chiu?) which is a member of the red snapper family and also boral which looks like a huge red snapper but is a deep water fish! MMMMMM!

Where's the infamous "dorado"???? Dolphin anyone???

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
MommC said:
When they are sea crabs (like King crab) they are referred to as centauro!
I believe cangrejo refers to the crabs that you buy along the roadsides that come from land/rivers......

Don't forget chio (chiu?) which is a member of the red snapper family and also boral which looks like a huge red snapper but is a deep water fish! MMMMMM!

Where's the infamous "dorado"???? Dolphin anyone???

No,

The fresh water crab is called Jaiba.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
That may be .......however......

when I asked a friend if he could get some "cangrejo" for me as I had a hankering to dip some legs in garlic butter he brought me what you call jaiba!
When I explained to him what I was really looking for he told me they are called centauro (which is also what the fishermen in Guayacanes tell me....if I want sea crab ask for centauro if I want land/river crab request cangrejo).
What do I know....I'm just a Canadian who was used to buying my crab legs in the frozen food section of my local supermarket!!:)

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
MommC said:
when I asked a friend if he could get some "cangrejo" for me as I had a hankering to dip some legs in garlic butter he brought me what you call jaiba!
When I explained to him what I was really looking for he told me they are called centauro (which is also what the fishermen in Guayacanes tell me....if I want sea crab ask for centauro if I want land/river crab request cangrejo).
What do I know....I'm just a Canadian who was used to buying my crab legs in the frozen food section of my local supermarket!!:)

Jaibas,

Are supposed to be endangered species in the DR because they keep the small streams alive. But nevertherless, Dominicans do not care about that. I am curious on how the name changed from cangrejo for sea crabs to centauro. Perhaps centauro is a type of sea crab and therefore all sea crabs are now called that or maybe is a local thing. In the Santo Domingo Aquarium there is a freshwater crab (Jaiba) on display.

C

Chip00

Colorful fish

There is another fish that can be found in the markets that has teeth almost like a pirannah and very colorful and the call it "cotorra". It's not bad, better than the merluza but not as good as the mero.

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
Jaibas,

Are supposed to be endangered species in the DR because they keep the small streams alive. But nevertherless, Dominicans do not care about that. I am curious on how the name changed from cangrejo for sea crabs to centauro. Perhaps centauro is a type of sea crab and therefore all sea crabs are now called that or maybe is a local thing. In the Santo Domingo Aquarium there is a freshwater crab (Jaiba) on display.

I think the jaiba catch is regulated for that reason. In Sonador my mother in law lives on the so called "calle de los jaiberos" and those guys tell me that they are allowed to fish for jaiba only at certain times of the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.