5. to be lucky
6. to be ashamed
7. to be warm
8. to be sleepy
9. to feel like + verb
10. to be afraid
11. to be cold

=========================================================

tener suerte/ tener fr?o/ tener calor/ tener hambre/ tener verg?enza/ tener sue?o/

tener miedo/ tener cuidado/ tener raz?n/ tener sed/ tener ganas de

mofi

Feb 9, 2005
Lesley D said:
How do you say the following?

1. to be hungry- Tener hambre
2. to be careful- Tener cuidado
3. to be thirsty- Tener sed
4. to be right- Tener razon
5. to be lucky- Tener Suerte
6. to be ashamed- Tener verguenza
7. to be warm- Tener calor
8. to be sleepy-Tener sueno
9. to feel like + verb- Tener ganas de
10. to be afraid- Tener miedo
11. to be cold- Tener frio

=========================================================

tener suerte/ tener fr?o/ tener calor/ tener hambre/ tener verg?enza/ tener
sue?o/ tener miedo/ tener cuidado/ tener raz?n/ tener sed/ tener ganas de

Done! sorry about the no accents again!

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Mofi- Perfect!

Mini Practice Exercise:

Form short phrases with the expressions above (post #1 & 2) in the present tense.

In English the verbs "to be" or "to feel like" (tener ganas de) are used to convey these expressions. In Spanish the verb "tener" (to have) is used. They are known as fixed expressions (or idioms).

Singular forms
Tengo- I (have)
Tienes ? you (have)
Tiene- he/she/ it (has)

Plural forms
Tenemos-we (have)
(Ten?is)- you (have)
Tienen- they/ you (have)

Please translate the following:

1. I am cold

2. We are thirsty

3. They are scared

4. You (sing.) are hungry

5. He is sleepy

6. You (sing.) are right

==================

PD. Chuckuindy glad this is helpful

Last edited:

windrifter

Dec 29, 2004
translation

1. I am cold--- tengo frio
2. we are thirsty--- tenemos sed
3. they are scared--- tienen miedo
4. you are hungry--- tienes hambre
5. he is tired ------ tiene sueno
6. you are right-------tienes razon

these are also the same if you want to ask these things in question form ,for example-- are you hungry?-- tienes hambre? is he tired? -- tiene sueno? etc.
sorry I am not set up to put in the accents or the inverted question marks.
Elizabeth

mofi

Feb 9, 2005
I will also add that the you form could be tiene, if you were speaking to an older person, or someone you didnt' know. Basically you do it out of respect.

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Thanks- Windrifter & Mofi

Well done Windrifter!

If anyone has anything else to add feel free.

LDG.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
windrifter said:
these are also the same if you want to ask these things in question form ,for example-- are you hungry?-- tienes hambre? is he tired? -- tiene sueno? etc.
sorry I am not set up to put in the accents or the inverted question marks.
Elizabeth

Elizabeth, try Alt & 164 together to see if get ?, as in sue?o and Alt 162 to see if you get ?, as in raz?n. If so, I'll tell you how to get the others.

But if you are using the Firefox browser there is an extension that lets you write these letters that I can direct you to.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Mucho easy!

1- YO tengo
2- TU tienes
3- EL tiene
4- ELLA tiene
5- ELLOS tienen
6- NOSOTROS tenemos
7- VOSOTROS teneis

1- YO tengo hambre (I am hungry)

2- TU tienes hambre(YOU are hungry. Also can be asked as a question)

3- EL tiene hambre (HE is hungry)

4- ELLA tiene hambre (SHE is hungry)

5- ELLOS tienen hambre (THEY are hungry)

6- NOSOTROS tenemos hambre (WE are hungry)

7- VOSOTROS teneis hambre (same as above)

Have fun!!!!

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Related expression with "tener"

The idiomatic phrase "need to or have to" can be rendered in Spanish by using the correct form of tener + que + the infinitive of the necessary action.

For example, "I have to go/leave" would be "Tengo que irme."

mofi

Feb 9, 2005
miguel said:
1- YO tengo
2- TU tienes
3- EL tiene
4- ELLA tiene
5- ELLOS tienen
6- NOSOTROS tenemos
7- VOSOTROS teneis

1- YO tengo hambre (I am hungry)

2- TU tienes hambre(YOU are hungry. Also can be asked as a question)

3- EL tiene hambre (HE is hungry)

4- ELLA tiene hambre (SHE is hungry)

5- ELLOS tienen hambre (THEY are hungry)

6- NOSOTROS tenemos hambre (WE are hungry)

7- VOSOTROS teneis hambre (same as above)

Have fun!!!!
You forgot the
Usted tiene
Ustedes tienen
that i referred to above, use more often then vosotros unless you are in spain.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Indeed

mofi said:
You forgot the
Usted tiene
Ustedes tienen
that i referred to above, use more often then vosotros unless you are in spain.
Indeed I did.

Btw, vosotros is used in 6 latin american countries and not only in Spain, :lick:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
miguel said:
Indeed I did.

Btw, vosotros is used in 6 latin american countries and not only in Spain, :lick:

But the DR isn't one of them.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
miguel said:
Indeed I did.

Which ones?
Unless you mean 'vos' which is used in Argentina, Uruguay, Colombia and most of Central America, I've never heard 'vosotros' used in Latin America. I've visited most Latin American countries and know people from the ones I haven't visited.

The only exception is in written texts where I've noticed people sometimes use 'vuestro(s)' for clarity, because 'su(s)' can often be ambiguous.

Vosotros is not always used in the south of Spain. As in Latin America, ustedes is used for both polite and familiar forms of the second person plural.

Lesley, you're going to love this one -

I've even heard people mixing ustedes and vosotros there:

?Se vais?
:cross-eye

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
I have yet to hear "vos" used in Nicaragua. And vosotros, never, thank goodness as I have enough verb tenses to remember without new pronouns.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Ok!

Chirimoya said:
Which ones?
Unless you mean 'vos' which is used in Argentina, Uruguay, Colombia and most of Central America, I've never heard 'vosotros' used in Latin America. I've visited most Latin American countries and know people from the ones I haven't visited.
You said it, YOU have never heard it. But I have. My friend Jose is from Uruguay and he ALWAYS use vosotros. Maybe he is from a cave in Uruguay, ;) . Also, my kids mom, is from Nicaragua and she ALWAYS used vosotros and vos ALL THE TIME. Yes, more often than not she used vos but she also used vosotros(which I found very odd, maybe because her nanny was from Spain or Paraguay). Again, maybe from a cave in Nicaragua.

Also, when in college, we had some exchange student that were from Spain and they ALL used vosotros, all of them. I still keep in touch with most of them and guess what, they still use vosotros.

But you are more than right, most use the "vos" and not vosotros.

Last edited:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
ricktoronto said:
I have yet to hear "vos" used in Nicaragua. And vosotros, never, thank goodness as I have enough verb tenses to remember without new pronouns.
Rick, I find that impossible to believe. Unless everyone is addressing each other using 'usted', vos is universally used as the second person familiar form of address in Nicaragua and other Central American countries to the north. I don't think things would have changed that much since my last visit in 2000.

miguel said:
You said it, YOU have never heard it. But I have. My friend Jose is from Uruguay and he ALWAYS use vosotros. Maybe he is from a cave in Uruguay, . Also, my kids mom, is from Nicaragua and she ALWAYS used vosotros and vos ALL THE TIME. Yes, more often than not she used vos but she also used vosotros(which I found very odd, maybe because her nanny was from Spain or Paraguay). Again, maybe from a cave in Nicaragua.

Also, when in college, we had some exchange student that were from Spain and they ALL used vosotros, all of them. I still keep in touch with most of them and guess what, they still use vosotros.

But you are more than right, most use the "vos" and not vosotros.

Miguel, Uruguay, admittedly is one of the few South American countries I haven't visited, but I have met people from there and don't recall them using vosotros. Maybe Musicqueen can help here.

Nicaragua I am very familiar with - having visited about five times - and I never heard vosotros there.

In Spain it is just in the south that ustedes is used for both familiar and formal second person plural, and then not really by everyone.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Chirimoya said:
Rick, I find that impossible to believe. Unless everyone is addressing each other using 'usted', vos is universally used as the second person familiar form of address in Nicaragua and other Central American countries to the north. I don't think things would have changed that much since my last visit in 2000.

Can you give me a same conjugation of vos with a few verbs? Maybe I hear it but I don't hear it and the pronoun wouldn't always be spoken. I have a lot of e-mail back and forth and cannot recall seeing a form that wasn't Tu , Ud. or Uds. No Vds. though thankfully.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
That's what I suspected. You might not notice it if the vos is dropped, as it so often is, and the conjugations are sometimes the same, or at least very similar.

Tu tienes - vos ten?s
Tu sabes - vos sab?s (not sure)
Tu vives - vos viv?s

The main difference is the stress on the second syllable. Usually I'm too lazy to do accents as my laptop won't always let me and I have to copy and paste from Word, but this time I had to. :)

What is much more distinctive is 'sos'

Tu eres - vos sos.

Status
Not open for further replies.