BC/SD -> Sosua (Using HWY 21 or 25)

helpmann

On Vacation!
May 18, 2004
Hi all,

I'm looking for quickest route by car to Sosua (from BC/SD) via HWY 1. Can you save time by getting off HWY 1 at La Vega and taking HWY 21 North or by getting off HWY 1 at Santiago and taking HWY 25 North instead of taking HWY 1 to HWY 5 then backtracking through Puerto Plata?

Please keep in mind the time lost to poor road conditions and speed limits.

Thanks,
Helpmann

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Fastest way I find is taking the second or third Right off the autopista into Moca right an an overpass that was never completed, going over the mountain road to Sabeneta and left towards Cabarete and then into Sosua.

If you take the main exit off the Autopista you end up in loads of traffic in Moca which is a major place.

Escott

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I can agree with that...

After you pass the fruit stands past La Vega, you come down into Burende, cross a bridge on a sweeping right had curve, go past the Isla gasoline station on your right (after going over still another little bridge), past a horse farm with white fencing on the right, you take the right lane and watch for the turn off to the right. A bit of major confusion, so take it slow and easy. This is about a mile past the horsies....:D

The road you come into Moca on ends at a stoplight in from of the hospital. Take a left there and follow your nose to the other side of town. I think there is a Shell station on the right, as you go down a little grade, and then you come to the Army Fort. Big, ugly, green building with painted fence posts and barbed wire..The jail is there so you see guys hanging out the bars.. Here you go left again, down the hill to the stop light. Go straight, stay on the right when you come to the fork in the road (ahead you'll see a Texaco station on the right)...that is the road that will take you to the Jamao road. This is a fairly important intersection, perhaps maybe five or even ten minutes past the Texaco station. It is a road coming in on the right, and there are always a bunch of people there, motoconchos and so forth. You can ask for JAMAO?? (pronounced "Ha Ma oh") and they'll point it out to you...

Now you can follow your nose all the way over the mountains to the coastal highway, where you turn left to Cabarete and Sos?a...Happy Trails!!

HB :D:D:D

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
HB directions are spot on, done that trip many times.

Right now the road from the highway exit to Moca is torn up for the first 3kms.
It's nothing major, just lots of dust and a few bumps :)
Also that same stretch the road get's real narrow for 20-30 meters due to a landslide last year that's still being fixed.

Other than the above, the road is great all of the way.
The drive across the mountains is wonderful.

SD to Sosua via this way is around 3hrs.