Fabio Guzman

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Fabio is on vacation

However, you should look through the Search function on this issue.

There are several things that you should know.
1) It is rather difficult to renounce your US citizenship. And "dual" citizenship has it's very precise requirements.
2) Dominican citizenship is not lightly given out and there are rules on this.

There was an article on just this subject in one of Friday's papers...

HB :(

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002

ODUKEEPER

May 15, 2005
www.tennisdad.com
Hillbilly said:
However, you should look through the Search function on this issue.

There are several things that you should know.
1) It is rather difficult to renounce your US citizenship. And "dual" citizenship has it's very precise requirements.
2) Dominican citizenship is not lightly given out and there are rules on this.

There was an article on just this subject in one of Friday's papers...

HB :(
Thanks..I never do anything lightly ;) ...and my inquiry was not necessarily connected with "renouncing" our U.S. citizenship. The U.S. alows dual citizenship.

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
Does that mean that if an American citizen applies for Dominican citizenship, for example, he then risks losing his Amer. citizenship? Or does he have to expressely renounce or indicate he no longer wants it? After reading the State Dept. paper, it still is not very clear to me.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Rest easy, you will not lose your U.S. citizenship if you get Dominican citizenship. The U.S. wants your tax dollars forever.

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
juancarlos said:
Does that mean that if an American citizen applies for Dominican citizenship, for example, he then risks losing his Amer. citizenship? Or does he have to expressely renounce or indicate he no longer wants it? After reading the State Dept. paper, it still is not very clear to me.

Juancarlos, listen to SKY he is right but your answer is in the second paragraph last sentence.

travel.state.gov said:
In order to lose U.S. citizenship, the law requires that the person must apply for the foreign citizenship voluntarily, by free choice, and with the intention to give up U.S. citizenship.

You would have to give it up intentionally. You need to have intentions to renounce it AND actually renounce it formally. Acquiring a new nationality (citizenship) wont do it.

NotLurking

Dr. scott

May 17, 2005
Dominican Resident

I am currently going through this process of obtaining my Dominican Resident Card. First and foremost, check attorney fee's carefully. They range from $ 1,900 U.S. to RD$5000 pesos. The basics include the following depending on your situation.

American Citizen will require (for each family member):
1. Medical exam (in the Dominican, Drug scan, Chest xray, Aids test)
2. (3) copies of each birth certificate translated to spanish and stamped by Dominican Consulate in U.S.
3. Deposit $18,000 U.S. in Dominican Bank (Can be U.S. dollars)
This requirement has ranged from RD$500,000 to RD$200,000 depending
on which lawyer answers your questions.
4. Obtain a Guarantor (A person that will Guaranty your financial solvency)
This person needs to be a Dominican National, owning property in the DR

The rest is just red tape, it takes about (2) months to get your tempoary card, after one year you go through the process all over again

Email me and I can put you in touch with the $5000 peso lawyers

mkn

May 14, 2005
Dominican Guarantor?

Dr. scott said:

Curious - what sort of property-owning person would give you a guarantee like that? I think there's lots of people who wouldn't know a Dominican intimately enough to get such a guarantee, so how does it usually work in practice?

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Dr. scott said:
I am currently going through this process of obtaining my Dominican Resident Card. First and foremost, check attorney fee's carefully. They range from $ 1,900 U.S. to RD$5000 pesos. The basics include the following depending on your situation.

American Citizen will require (for each family member):
1. Medical exam (in the Dominican, Drug scan, Chest xray, Aids test)
2. (3) copies of each birth certificate translated to spanish and stamped by Dominican Consulate in U.S.
3. Deposit $18,000 U.S. in Dominican Bank (Can be U.S. dollars)
This requirement has ranged from RD$500,000 to RD$200,000 depending
on which lawyer answers your questions.

The rest is just red tape, it takes about (2) months to get your tempoary card, after one year you go through the process all over again

Email me and I can put you in touch with the $5000 peso lawyers
US$175.00 now that's a good deal.