fun in Sosua?

bozorboso

May 16, 2005
a good friend and I are traveling to Sosua in June...we are both just out of high school, and are looking for some fun. however, we're not too into the nightclub/drinking scene.....any suggestions for affordable, fun activities around sosua?

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
bozorboso said:
a good friend and I are traveling to Sosua in June...we are both just out of high school, and are looking for some fun. however, we're not too into the nightclub/drinking scene.....any suggestions for affordable, fun activities around sosua?

Of course there is fun in Sosua even if you don?t go to nightclubs/drinking!

- Sosua beach is great
- Deep Sea Fishing/ Snorkeling etc (you?ll find it on the beach)
- Columbus Aqua Park just outside Sosua on the way to Puerto Plata
- Take the public cars and do a 1 day visit to Puerto Plata - If nice
weather go up in the cablecar on the mountain Isabel de Torres, see
the city and buy some cheap clothes at Tienda Jimenez..

The public cars ( you?ll see them with a "puerto plata - sosua sign " on the
roofs ) goes very often. Cost is 20 pesos per person per way.

I am sure more people will add up things to do for you!

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Malibook said:
Is this a gua gua?

How do you get on one?
Are there gua gua stops like bus stops?

Thanks.

Public cars are cars ( be prepared with 2 in frontseat + driver and 4 in backseat )..
Gua gua are minibusses, you can take them too, they take a little longer time as more people get in the minibus and you can go off/on anywhere... so more stops.
The route Rio San Juan - Puerto Plata passes Sosua and you can go on those too anywhere from the main road. Cost is same.

Just wawe when the car or bus comes and it will stop if there is space.

;)

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
carina said:
Just wawe when the car or bus comes and it will stop if there is space.

;)
Thanks Carina.

Do you know how much the gua gua would be from Playa Dorada to Sosua?

I usually rent a cab for 800 pesos for 3 hours in sosua and back but I might try one of these gua guas some time but I'm not sure if I want to try a public car.

Thanks again.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Malibook said:
This seems extremely cheap.

Don't the motoconchos charge 20 pesos just for a short ride in town?

Motoconchos cost 15 pesos but usually we pay 20.

Public transportation is "public" and the cost between POP - Sosua or the other way is 20 pesos. The cost between Sosua and Cabarete is 10 pesos with public transportation ( gua gua or publico )

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Malibook said:
Thanks Carina.

Do you know how much the gua gua would be from Playa Dorada to Sosua?

I usually rent a cab for 800 pesos for 3 hours in sosua and back but I might try one of these gua guas some time but I'm not sure if I want to try a public car.

Thanks again.

Cost for gua gua is the same ( I wrote that in the previous post too! ;) )
Be prepared to meet "alots" of people on the gua gua too!
With luggage etc! ;)

bozorboso

May 16, 2005
more questions

here's another question....what sort of places are you expected to tip...taxis, buses, motoconchos, restaurants, etc...and how much?

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
bozorboso said:
If you can give us an idea of what you do for fun at home and what your budget is, you will probably see some more practical advice.

"Affordable fun activities" is quite vague, subjective, and open to a very broad range of interpretation.

The nightclub/drinking scene is a big part of the attraction for many people.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Make sure you do this...

go to the ice-cream stand (I think it's called Bon) near the 24 hour restaurant PJs and say hello to my friend Ruth. She is the girl with the prettiest eyes in Sosua... ;)

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
public transport

A few notes:

Please be advised that carro publico's run from Rio San Juan to Sosua, where you'll have to change into another one to go on to Puerto Plata.. Gua-gua's run the whole stretch.. you'll also see large buses (like old school buses) they are pretty comfy as well..

Price wise gua-gua's and large buses are cheapest.. carro slightly more expensive.. moto's (which will make any run) most expensive..

My advice if you don't have your own transport.. take gua-gua's or large buses between towns and moto's in town..

Gua-gua prices to my knowledge are

1) Cabarete - Puerto Plata (PP) RD$ 30
2) Cabarete - Sosua RD$ 10
3) Sosua - PP RD$ 20
4) Moto in town RD$ 10 during the day and RD$ 20 during the night
5) for carro add RD$ 10 to Gua-gua prices

Be advised Gua-Gua's will stop running after sunset.. carro's are usually available until midnight-ish.. after that it's taxi's or moto's only..

Transport usually starts up at 4:00 am as well so if you're out late you can catch an early gua-gua or carro..

How to:

1) recognise them - gua-gua's are minivans bulging with people, carro's are old wrecks with a small red or green sign on top that says carro publico (if you can read it), moto's and taxi's will find you..

2) get on - wave your arm when you see one approaching.. if there is room they wll slow down and stop.. sometimes they are full

3) get off - gua-gua; when nearing your destination bang the roof.. preferably with more than 100 yards still to go.. carro; gently tap the driver and point..

4) when to pay - when you leave the vehicle.. have exact change ready, they don't have change for large bills

Enjoy the public transport system in the DR! It's a good way to meet people!

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Just a couple of minor things:

MerengueDutchie said:
you'll also see large buses (like old school buses) they are pretty comfy as well..
My favourites, I call them super gua guas.

MerengueDutchie said:
moto's (which will make any run) most expensive..
And by far the most dangerous.

MerengueDutchie said:

3) Sosua - PP RD$ 20
Many will try to charge gringos more. Last month they tried to charge me $RD100 for Cabarete to Puerto Plata - Costa Dorada. When I handed him the proper fare of $RD30 and smiled and winked and called him a bandito; he just laughed and waved me away. Attitude makes the difference.

MerengueDutchie said:
carro's are usually available until midnight-ish..
Another thing about carros is that you can pay for all the seats and have the vehicle to yourself; but usually only if you get the vehicle at the start of his run and negotiate for the car "solo". The chances of finding him totally empty part way along his route are not good. In the evenings it's a great alternative to a taxi from Sosua to Puerto Plata. We paid $RD200 from Sosua - Puerto Plata at 11 p.m. on a Saturday night after an evening at Rocky's vs. God knows what a taxi would want.

MerengueDutchie said:
.. have exact change ready, they don't have change for large bills
They will claim to not have any change for just about any bill; amazing for a business that takes in $RD10 and $RD20 bills all day, every day.

MerengueDutchie said:
Enjoy the public transport system in the DR! It's a good way to meet people!
I was one of 23 (my new personal record) in a gua gua last month.

Enjoy the DR.

Gregg

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
A few notes:
Please be advised that carro publico's run from Rio San Juan to Sosua, where you'll have to change into another one to go on to Puerto Plata.. Gua-gua's run the whole stretch.. you'll also see large buses (like old school buses) they are pretty comfy as well..

The gals stays in Sosua so they take the public cars Sosua-Puerto Plata. They will have nothing to do with the Rio San Juan - Sosua cars.
The cost is 20 pesos.

3) Sosua - PP RD$ 20
4) Moto in town RD$ 10 during the day and RD$ 20 during the night
5) for carro add RD$ 10 to Gua-gua prices

The correct price of motoconcho is 15, but most people pay 20 all over..

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Malibook said:
Mucho gracias for all of the great information Carina, MerengueDutchie, and Fireguy.

Just enjoy your stay! Take it day by day, and don?t hestitate to ask people in Sosua when you are there about tips. Any local there, may so be Dominican or "gringo", will have their own suggestions that might be super for you!
;)

Victor Laszlo

Bronze
Aug 24, 2004
Good idea

FireGuy said:
Another thing about carros is that you can pay for all the seats and have the vehicle to yourself; but usually only if you get the vehicle at the start of his run and negotiate for the car "solo". The chances of finding him totally empty part way along his route are not good. In the evenings it's a great alternative to a taxi from Sosua to Puerto Plata. We paid $RD200 from Sosua - Puerto Plata at 11 p.m. on a Saturday night after an evening at Rocky's vs. God knows what a taxi would want.
This is a relatively economical, safe and comfortable alternative for transportation between Sosua and Puerto Plata. I was quoted US$20 one way to PP by the taxi guys in Sosua, so this example would make the round trip about US$15 rather than $40. I was also told by the owner of the Europa Hotel that you can hire one of these cars for a half day for about RD$600.