Requirements for becoming a Realtor?

Dwight

Oct 2, 2004
Does anyone know the licensing requirements to become a "realtor" in the D.R.? I'm a licensed agent in Canada......just wondering what I would need to do if I wanted to be involved with this business in the Dominican Republic.

I intend to contact a couple of brokers on the north coast in the D.R. for info., but thought I would pose the question here first.

Thanks for any assistance....or recomendations on who to contact.

Dwight

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Oh come on you guys!! You know the drill!

To become a real estate agent in the Dominican Republic you
1) Should have your residence card-but not that necessary
2) Check you ethics at the door. None required
3) Have to have "Balls of steel" to seal the deal, no matter what or who you are doing...

Ain't life great??

However, talk to the two posters above for the best people to contact on the North Coast.

HB :D:D:D

Dwight

Oct 2, 2004
Thanks for the replies....I think :eek: :eek: Seems kinda chaotic to say the least!

When I was tooling around down there for a couple of weeks in November I noticed some big name international real estate company signs such as Re/Max and Century 21. I would imagine that the broker/owners must have some type of professional designation....or am I wrong assuming this?

Is there a real estate board or association that oversees the industry in any way?

I'm in Waterloo, Ontario, Canada.....and we're almost buried under rules,regulations,code of ethics, mandatory continuing education during each license renewal period,buyer and seller agency,disclosure,errors and omissions insurance, trust accounts, etc.,and fees, fees,fees.

You guys make it sound like "deals" are written-up on the hood of a car and then taken to the bank...lol. I'm sure that isn't the case....or is it? haha.

I should have asked some questions when I was there....now, I'll have to go back. Hmmm!....a research trip. I think that's a tax deductible expense.

Dwight

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Dwight said:
Thanks for the replies....I think :eek: :eek: Seems kinda chaotic to say the least!

When I was tooling around down there for a couple of weeks in November I noticed some big name international real estate company signs such as Re/Max and Century 21. I would imagine that the broker/owners must have some type of professional designation....or am I wrong assuming this?

Is there a real estate board or association that oversees the industry in any way?

I'm in Waterloo, Ontario, Canada.....and we're almost buried under rules,regulations,code of ethics, mandatory continuing education during each license renewal period,buyer and seller agency,disclosure,errors and omissions insurance, trust accounts, etc.,and fees, fees,fees.

You guys make it sound like "deals" are written-up on the hood of a car and then taken to the bank...lol. I'm sure that isn't the case....or is it? haha.

I should have asked some questions when I was there....now, I'll have to go back. Hmmm!....a research trip. I think that's a tax deductible expense.

Dwight
You may be able to be a therapist just as easy!

Dwight

Oct 2, 2004
Hey Escott,

I've been meaning to contact you about your blog.....it's excellent!! I look forward to seeing it a couple of times a day..and the pictures really bring a lot of life to it. Please keep it going.

.....about your "therapist" comment....I must be a little slow because I don't get it.

Dwight

TEHAMA

Feb 3, 2004
The one requirement I "believe" is to know someone that wants to buy. When you announce that you have an interest in buying....EVERYONE and their grandmother (even Expats) suddenly become Realtors. I have been told it can be around 10% to the person "acting" as the buyers realtor. And when that kind of money is on the table everyone seem to think they can do it.
TEHAMA

Last edited:

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Dwight said:
Hey Escott,

I've been meaning to contact you about your blog.....it's excellent!! I look forward to seeing it a couple of times a day..and the pictures really bring a lot of life to it. Please keep it going.

.....about your "therapist" comment....I must be a little slow because I don't get it.

Dwight
Thanks for the nice comments on the blog!

This place is the wild wild west. You can hang a shingle about being a therapist without a license also I believe.

Welcome to the wild wild west!

Escott

mrmagic

Nov 25, 2003
ive been purchasing property from real estate maggots for years now , and from my experience all you really need is an ability to 'lie' ..............oh! i almost forgot, you require an expensive suit too! As its very important to look the part and gain the buyers trust.......the suit will help you do this!ha!