Safety in Santo Domingo

pride21

May 14, 2005
www.facebook.com
When I was in Mexico, I was with a Spanish speaking male companion, and he basically took care of everything. When I travel to Santo Domingo, it will be with two girlfriends (no men), and I plan on spending some time alone to check out the historical sites and catch a few baseball games. Is this safe? I'm not so much worried about being mugged or anything..I don't ever intend to be alone at night or in isolated places. I'm also used to Latin men and their appreciation for women, and am capable of dealing with that,but I'm wondering if I'll be taken advantage of by vendors, cab drivers, etc., because I'm a girl and speak only English. Any advice would be appreciated :)

Last edited:

daddy1

Feb 27, 2004
pride21 said:
When I was in Mexico, I was with a Spanish speaking male companion, and he basically took care of everything. When I travel to Santo Domingo, it will be with two girlfriends (no men), and I plan on spending some time alone to check out the historical sites and catch a few baseball games. Is this safe? I'm not so much worried about being mugged or anything..I don't ever intend to be alone at night or in isolated places. I'm also used to Latin men and their appreciation for women, and am capable of dealing with that,but I'm wondering if I'll be taken advantage of by vendors, cab drivers, etc., because I'm a girl and speak only English. Any advice would be appreciated :)
of course anywhere you have gone for the first time you must take precaution, especially if you don't know the language, but for the most part you should be safe with no problem's, D.R. women walk freely in the streets all day all the time with no major issues,and as and advisory don't stray away in the barrios this is where visitors can get in big trouble, and know the one's that not even native Dominican's will walk in like guachupita, los Guandules, los Guaticanos,
Villa Duarte or some area's in los Minas..stay around the Malecon area or in upper class style neighborhoods, as far as vendors are concerned the answer is yes they will try to up the prices on you, but even with that there prices aren't outrages, they just won't do something silly like give you the local's prices, other then that over there it's no different then walking in NYC. have fun and spend as much money as you can, tip large, meaning $2.00 dollars maybe even $3.00 dollars will garentee better service, and they will remember who you are this will get you many smiles and plenty of help and attention, in D.R. they can't stand cheap tourist, plus do it because the country needs it! anyway I hope I was of some help, oh! and I almost forgot do not buy any food or drinks from the street vendors at all, your stomach and your A hole will never forgive you :cross-eye

Last edited:

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
have fun and spend as much money as you can, tip large, meaning $2.00 dollars maybe even $3.00 dollars will garentee better service, and they will remember who you are this will get you many smiles and plenty of help and attention, in D.R. they can't stand cheap tourist, plus do it because the country needs it![/QUOTE]

Tipping does not guarantee you ANYTHING in the DR .They will remember you alright-as a big sucker. Stand your ground and do not take being abused. What the country needs is not more money from tourists but honest dominicans making an honest buck. Do not play into that nonsense that "the country needs it". Why do I, a tourist on vacation, have to make up what the politicians steal from their own people? If you overtip you will make it worse for the rest of us.

buseouno

Feb 22, 2005
pride21 said:

You will definitely be taken advantage of by vendors etc. they tend to basically double the price for Gringos and sometimes more if they think they can get away with it.
Rule #1 Always ask the price before buying, getting in, etc.
Something that has always worked very well for me, in fact I have often gotten a better price on something than my Dominican wife, I just say: "Soy Gringo, pero no stupido" and then offer them about half of what they asked for.
Another thing to do, is buy from vendors where locals are buying and watch to see how much they paid.
Regardless of paying a little extra to vendors, etc. I'm sure you'll have a fantastic time, besides, unless you are totally clueless, which I'm sure your not, the over charges will probably only amount to a total of about US $20.00 or so anyway.
Explore and have a great time.
Ken

pride21

May 14, 2005
www.facebook.com
Berzin said:
have fun and spend as much money as you can, tip large, meaning $2.00 dollars maybe even $3.00 dollars will garentee better service, and they will remember who you are this will get you many smiles and plenty of help and attention, in D.R. they can't stand cheap tourist, plus do it because the country needs it!

Tipping does not guarantee you ANYTHING in the DR .They will remember you alright-as a big sucker. Stand your ground and do not take being abused. What the country needs is not more money from tourists but honest dominicans making an honest buck. Do not play into that nonsense that "the country needs it". Why do I, a tourist on vacation, have to make up what the politicians steal from their own people? If you overtip you will make it worse for the rest of us.[/QUOTE]

I don't think by me tipping well (I generally tip 20% when happy with services, but never less than 15%), that all vendors will expect the same from every tourist. I tend to stick with one taxi company while travelling, so being nice and tipping a little extra can't hurt.

pride21

May 14, 2005
www.facebook.com
buseouno said:
You will definitely be taken advantage of by vendors etc. they tend to basically double the price for Gringos and sometimes more if they think they can get away with it.
Rule #1 Always ask the price before buying, getting in, etc.
Something that has always worked very well for me, in fact I have often gotten a better price on something than my Dominican wife, I just say: "Soy Gringo, pero no stupido" and then offer them about half of what they asked for.
Another thing to do, is buy from vendors where locals are buying and watch to see how much they paid.
Regardless of paying a little extra to vendors, etc. I'm sure you'll have a fantastic time, besides, unless you are totally clueless, which I'm sure your not, the over charges will probably only amount to a total of about US $20.00 or so anyway.
Explore and have a great time.
Ken

At the malls, aren't the prices set with a price tag? I will want to buy some things from street vendors, but when I go to malls, do I have to haggle with the sales people, or are the prices already set?

daddy1

Feb 27, 2004
pride21 said:
At the malls, aren't the prices set with a price tag? I will want to buy some things from street vendors, but when I go to malls, do I have to haggle with the sales people, or are the prices already set?
Prices are all set in the mall, without any haggling, and the prices are very good, remember the Capital in general is set up for the local's, and there will be alot of great deals out there for you to chose from. some item such as electronics and such go way overboard.. but clothing, fast foods, and home leisure products will be very affordable...anyway to address the tipping issue, take it from me I ate in alot of restaurants out there, and when I have returned I was treated like royalty! if you get good service tip more than usual, good service in the capital is hard to find...there were waitters and waitresses that catered to my every needs and I exercised my appreciation for good service said thank you and tell the manager the service was great!! but that's just me, they don't see this everyday, plus there are some tourist that look down on some of these people with a I have dollars and you don't attitude, being courteous and tipping well has nothing to do with being a sucker, it just means you appreciated the person in front of you especially if you know there getting paid 40 pesos an hour. remember your in a third world country, and not in L.A. or NYC.