Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Things found in the kitchen

estufa (stove)
despensa (cupboard)
mesa (table)
sillas (chairs)

I forgot to ask these questions:

If the sink in the bathroom is called (lavamanos) what is the one in the kitchen called?

What do you call an oven which in NA is part of the stove? I've read on DR1 that not many "stoves" have ovens in the DR.

Also, since "microwave" is a fairly new invention is it called by it's English name or something else?

Name some other things used in the kitchen.

Thanks

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Thanks Jimmy. I know what's in a kitchen I was trying to get people involved in writing things in spanish. But I know your heart was in the right place. ;)

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Anna Coniglio said:

If the sink in the bathroom is called (lavamanos) what is the one in the kitchen called?

Thanks

fregadero (I have no formal training in Spanish, so my spelling is probably atrocious, but that's how it sounds)

What do you call an oven which in NA is part of the stove? I've read on DR1 that not many "stoves" have ovens in the DR.

good question. Personally, I've only ever heard it being called an estufa.

Also, since "microwave" is a fairly new invention is it called by it's English name or something else?

Angel calls it a microwave.

Dishes - platos (fregar los platos - wash the dishes)
Pots - Angel uses paila for the rice pot, and for other pots - olla
Pans - same?
knives - cuchillos; if you're talking about a big one, to cut branches or plants, it's a machete
forks - tenadors
spoons - cucharas

Here's some more for practice:

glass - vaso
wine glass - copa
cup - taza
fridge - nevera

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
Jimmydr said:
Dishes
Pots
Pans
Knives
Forks
Spoons

Sorry I do not know what they are in Spanish.

I have a microwave in my apartment in Sosua and its one of the best things I ever bought.

Dishes=Trastes (in DR)
Pots=Sartenes
Pans=Vacijas (I think)
Knives=Cuchillos
Forks=Cubiertos o tenedores
Spoons=Cucharas

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
Anna Coniglio said:

estufa (stove)
despensa (cupboard)
mesa (table)
sillas (chairs)

Thanks

Oven=Horno

hugoke01

Dec 31, 2004
La cocina

Palabras :

lavavajillas y lavaplatos = dishwasher
Horno = oven
Placas a gas : stove plates
Campanas :extractor hood above the stove
Fregadero : Sink in the kitchen

Some other words :

Sart?n : la sart?n : frying-pan
Frigorifico o nevera :: refrigerator
Tenedor = fork
Cuchilla = chopper or large kitchen knife
Cuchillo = knife
Cuchara = spoon (cuchara de caf? -cuchara de sopa
Cucharilla = small spoon

Anna Coniglio said:

estufa (stove)
despensa (cupboard)
mesa (table)
sillas (chair

Thanks

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
I have a micro-onda and I love my microwave!

I also have calderos (saucepans) and sauteros (frying pans -not sure of spelling in Spanish).
The tenedors need replacing (forks) but my scopa and scopera (broom and dust pan) are brand new. I have lots of cubitos (pails) for mopping the floor.
My lavadero is large enough to hold a cobracama and my horno is too far away from the estufa (bad planning on my part when we redid the kitchen but I had to change the floor plan when we found our industrial Jen-Air cooktop to include a stand alone oven!).
The vasos per vino hang from a cupera (hanging glass rack) and the platos fundos ( deep serving bowls) are almost too big for the top gabinetas (cabinets). The dispenser (pantry) holds almost as much as the local colmados while the cavetas (drawers) are extra deep to hold spice bottles and kitchen taolas!
I could go on and on but I'll let others think of more.........

Status
Not open for further replies.