Ahora y Ahorita

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
In DR,

Ahora=Now and

Ahorita= "In a little bit" and "a short time ago".

In Central America and some South American Countries
Ahora=ahorita=Now

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
and in action, ahorita could be never depending on how many times it is used to extend doing the actual action. ;)
mkohn

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
This is the hardest....

...thing to understand in DR!!! It could be in a few minutes, in a few hours, in a few days, in a few years or it might never happen!!! ;)

They don't care...no problem!!! :bandit:

MQ​

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
There is ahora mismo - but that often does not really mean right now, either.

ESOLteacher

Dec 14, 2004
Let's just write it off as an anglo concept

Very intersting and makes me laugh when I remember trying to communicate the idea of "right now." Let's just write it off as an anglo concept for starters. really. and laugh a little as well.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
I thought ahorita means 'tonight' and ahora mismo means 'right now'. That is always how I used them respectively. Am I wrong?

Larry

audboogie

Jul 4, 2004
well i thought..

ahorita had 2 meanings depending on how its used...it can mean later like "in a little bit"
or|earlier like just happened? depending on how its used?

May 31, 2005
Stodgord said:
In DR,

Ahora=Now and

Ahorita= "In a little bit" and "a short time ago".

In Central America and some South American Countries
Ahora=ahorita=Now
In mexico ahora also means later.

mofi

Feb 9, 2005
Dragonfly32837 said:
In mexico ahora also means later.
It really depends in what sentence you are using it but if you are not talking about doing something right now, then you are more likely to use ahorita in mexico.

Vente ahora. Come now.
ahorita me voy. In a little while i am going to go.

dawnwil

Bronze
Aug 27, 2003
ya and ahora

I have always used 'ahora' for now, and 'ahora mismo' was one of the first expressions I learned, but recently I was told that it's more common here to use 'ya'.

I realized it was true, all around me I constantly here 'ya' and not often 'ahora' ... although everyone always understands what I mean.

Any thoughts about usage?

btw, 'ahora mismo' was one of my first expressions, I guess I often said 'right now'. I haven't used the term for a while, have given up. :)

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
dawnwil said:
I have always used 'ahora' for now, and 'ahora mismo' was one of the first expressions I learned, but recently I was told that it's more common here to use 'ya'.

I realized it was true, all around me I constantly here 'ya' and not often 'ahora' ... although everyone always understands what I mean.

Any thoughts about usage?

btw, 'ahora mismo' was one of my first expressions, I guess I often said 'right now'. I haven't used the term for a while, have given up. :)

I take 'ya' to mean 'thats it' or 'already' or 'done' depending on what you are trying to express. For example, if I was going to say, 'thats it, no more', I would say 'ya, no mas'. Native Spanish speakers please correct me if I am wrong. I am still learning the language.

Larry

mofi

Feb 9, 2005
Larry said:
I take 'ya' to mean 'thats it' or 'already' or 'done' depending on what you are trying to express. For example, if I was going to say, 'thats it, no more', I would say 'ya, no mas'. Native Spanish speakers please correct me if I am wrong. I am still learning the language.

Larry
Yah pretty much thats what ya means. I tend to say "ya basta" when i get sick of my boyfriend doing something. I think its usually said out of exasperation(sp)

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
In My House

Miguelito and I use ahora and ahooora as well as ahorita and ahoriiiita, when he says "Vengo ahora" I ask "Ahora o ahooora?" and he quickly leared that if he says ahora and is not back in a few minutes then he comes home to hell, same with ahorita and ahoriiita. People, don't be so hard on Dominicans regarding the time thing - they can and do learn you just gotta know how to teach 'em ;)

Stay well,
Amy

dawnwil

Bronze
Aug 27, 2003
Hey thanks,

The Dominican woman who I asked about this definitely was not using 'ya' as 'done' or 'that's it'. Something had to be done, and she asked, ya? meaning, 'now'. I asked her if it was la misma cosa to "ahora" and she said yes.

I use ahora by habit, so will continue to do so... but I checked my Spanish translator just now and the first translation is:

1. NOW ... presently: ahora, ya

then it goes on with a long list, a mixed bag of possibilities for each that is, frankly, confusing.

It also says 'ya' is ... 'and now', and in another reference, same as 'entonces', or 'then'

btw, I lilke 'entonces' for some reason, say it a lot.

I really like this forum; will try to spend more time in here.

mofi

Feb 9, 2005
I used to use entonces alot but have started picking up pues, because more of my friends use it.

Nov 5, 2004
amy2761 said:
Miguelito and I use ahora and ahooora as well as ahorita and ahoriiiita, when he says "Vengo ahora" I ask "Ahora o ahooora?" and he quickly leared that if he says ahora and is not back in a few minutes then he comes home to hell, same with ahorita and ahoriiita. People, don't be so hard on Dominicans regarding the time thing - they can and do learn you just gotta know how to teach 'em ;)

Stay well,
Amy

HAHAHAHA! I could quote this whole thing you said..just change "Miguelito" to "Carlos"...and "Amy" to "Aliya"

LOL...took me awhile to get used to the "I'll be back in 10 minutes"...acutally meaning 1 hour...

Then again..I do it now too, saying I will be gone 10 mintues and being gone an hour +..but its not my fault really...it takes me so long to walk anywhere I have to go cuz everyone wants to talk..and plus I don't use a watch in the DR :D

So yes vengo ahora? or vengo ahooooora? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.