Dominican Dandy - Juan Marichal in Bronze

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Some of the East will meet the West tomorrow in San Francisco as Juan Marichal will be immortalized in bronze, just outside SBC park in beautiful San Francisco (Not De Macoris).

A huge statue of Willie Mays now welcomes visitors to the main entrance of the park, but Juan's new home is actually in a higher traffic spot?Lefty O'doul's Plaza. With, what is likely to be his distinctively high leg kick, the piece is sure to be an attention grabber.

There is such a huge asian/eastern population here (young baseball fans), this one piece will open up some eyes and minds to the man that put Dominican baseballers on the map.

I'll be on hand, wearing my President shirt (ironed of course) and Licey hat.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
pleasure

I have had the pleasure of watching both play for the giants along with "the baby bull" from cuba Orlando Cepeda. What wrecking crew they were. Loved Juan's high kick for delivery and saw him get blown off the mound during the all star game. I think it was the all star game, but at my age the memory is the first to go. Can't remember what is second.

Bob K

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Unveiled

Good show put on by the S.F. Gigantes today.

As is the Dominican way, the president was 25 minutes late, making a collection of Hall of Fame types wait on him. Orlando Cepeda, the Alou's, Gaylord Perry, Willie Mays and many others sat in the baking sun, waiting for the President to get off his *** in the VIP tent to finally make his appearance.

A booming salsa band kept the act lively for an hour + before the ceremony.

Good time.

statue5.jpg

The statue is fantastic, about 15 feet tall with the distinctive leg kick. The sculptor joked that the hardest part was getting a model to hold their leg up so long.

statue2.jpg

statue1.jpg

The Giants will wear special uniforms for tonight's game. Los Gigantes will replace the customary "Giants" insignia on the team's uniforms.

The uni's will then be auctioned off at sfgiants.com with the proceeds going towards the Latin Athletic Hall of Fame (or something like that).

marichal2.jpg

Dominican flags were passed around and Juan Marichal made special notice of Barry Bonds waving a Dominican flag. They have the flag also waving over the ballpark tonight.

fernandez.jpg

Better late than never? Up for debate.
[Orlando Cepeda in the background]

Last edited:

gardito

Jan 15, 2004
NOT cuban...

Bob K said:
I have had the pleasure of watching both play for the giants along with "the baby bull" from cuba Orlando Cepeda. What wrecking crew they were. Loved Juan's high kick for delivery and saw him get blown off the mound during the all star game. I think it was the all star game, but at my age the memory is the first to go. Can't remember what is second.

Bob K

Cepeda's from Puerto Rico, even though he resides mostly stateside. Those Giants, Mays, Bonds, Cepeda ... great times !! E.

Bok

Mar 13, 2004
Cleef

I'll be on hand, wearing my President shirt (ironed of course) and Licey hat

I assume that your Presidente shirt is not new when I ask you this:
How do you keep the logo and text intact?

I bought a Presidente shirt for a friend back home. But first time he washed it some of the print came out and only "..e..d.nte" was left.
I'll admit it was a cheap one from one of the souvenir shops in El Conde. But they didn't have any expensive Presidente shirts (take it price and quality go together). I'd like to know where you got your shirt or if it's a cheap one too maybe you have some laundry tips to share.
Can a cheap Presidente shirt be washed at all? :cross-eye

Sincerely,
Bok