Best restaurant in the Dominican Republic

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
Mind you, this judgment is based solely on food and wine selection. I believe it is very important to qualify subjective opinions such as this. So, my opinion is based on food alone, with no consideration of price, decor, location, service (although it rivals the service in any of the hundreds of restaurants I've patronized here over the years), type of cuisine, or anything else:

Fellini

Robert Pastoriza, casi esquina Winston Churchill
detras de KFC y frente a la Pala Pizza

It is a top notch Italian restuarant that exercises a technical care in food preparation and attention to the quality of its ingredients that rivals leading international restaurants and towers over other restaurants here in the Dominican Republic.

It is not for everyone. If, for example, you prefer more variety and a less fussy style of cuisine with comparable quality and service, I would opt for the Santo Domingo or Casa de Campo branch of Peperoni.

a buen tiempo...

hugoke01

Dec 31, 2004
Best Restaurants

arturo said:
Mind you, this judgment is based solely on food and wine selection. I believe it is very important to qualify subjective opinions such as this. So, my opinion is based on food alone, with no consideration of price, decor, location, service (although it rivals the service in any of the hundreds of restaurants I've patronized here over the years), type of cuisine, or anything else:

Fellini

Robert Pastoriza, casi esquina Winston Churchill
detras de KFC y frente a la Pala Pizza

It is a top notch Italian restuarant that exercises a technical care in food preparation and attention to the quality of its ingredients that rivals leading international restaurants and towers over other restaurants here in the Dominican Republic.

It is not for everyone. If, for example, you prefer more variety and a less fussy style of cuisine with comparable quality and service, I would opt for the Santo Domingo or Casa de Campo branch of Peperoni.

a buen tiempo...

I can recommend the following Spanish style retaurants as really good with a great wine card :

Don Pepe and the Lina restaurant del hotel Barcelo both in the capital // I don't remember prices but do remember that they aren't cheap ..

There is one restaurant just outside POP on the road to Sosua - don't recall the name - it's just outside POP after a left turn (?) of the raod you turn left for the parking ..
The restaurant is in open space with if I remember well a fountain in the middle and there is a kind of galery around with small shops (one was from an airline ) .. Am sure lot of people know it would like to know it's name if possible .. Thanks

hugoke01

Dec 31, 2004
Restaurants Corrections

Sorry the restaurant I wanted to mention in POP is situated just ouside POP (or still inside POP )but when driving to Sosua it's just after a right turn on the main road and then you turn right again onto the parking of that restaurant . Basically a small parking in front of the entrance
hugoke01 said:
I can recommend the following Spanish style retaurants as really good with a great wine card :

Don Pepe and the Lina restaurant del hotel Barcelo both in the capital // I don't remember prices but do remember that they aren't cheap ..

There is one restaurant just outside POP on the road to Sosua - don't recall the name - it's just outside POP after a left turn (?) of the raod you turn left for the parking ..
The restaurant is in open space with if I remember well a fountain in the middle and there is a kind of galery around with small shops (one was from an airline ) .. Am sure lot of people know it would like to know it's name if possible .. Thanks

Richard Sharp

May 27, 2005
Best Restaurant

hugoke01 said:
Sorry the restaurant I wanted to mention in POP is situated just ouside POP (or still inside POP )but when driving to Sosua it's just after a right turn on the main road and then you turn right again onto the parking of that restaurant . Basically a small parking in front of the entrance

On the way out of Puerto Plata on the right before Playa Dorada do you mean Cafe Cito this is a very good restaurant that caters for western style food Steaks etc but does also have Dominican food.
Regards
Richard

hugoke01

Dec 31, 2004
Prices in restaurants

If I remember well the prices would be around 50 USD a person early last year ..It obviiously depends a lot of what you eat and drink (wine)
PeachezNcream84 said:
Thanks for the info.

What are the prices like?

hugoke01

Dec 31, 2004
I don't recall the name

I really don't recall the name of the place can only describe it as I did in my previous mail . Last time I was in Sosua I went over there three times but always had excellent seafood with a good Chablis /white wine . and the way they prepared the seafood was really excellent ..I 've never seen many people in that restaurant but the hours I went -afternoon might not have been the normal hours . Waiters are very pleasant and last time I spoke with the cook to congratulate him for the perfect sauces he made with the seafood ( a light lemon sauce but really good )
Richard Sharp said:
On the way out of Puerto Plata on the right before Playa Dorada do you mean Cafe Cito this is a very good restaurant that caters for western style food Steaks etc but does also have Dominican food.
Regards
Richard

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I believe you are describing Cariatides restaurant. It is in a small new mall named Plaza el Doral before the entrance to Playa Dorada coming form Puerta Plata. It is on the right. Excellent seafood, but expensive for this area. The phone is 320-1410. Ask for Alberto for better service.

hugoke01

Dec 31, 2004
Cariatidis

Yes that's the name ..many thanks
SKY said:
I believe you are describing Cariatides restaurant. It is in a small new mall named Plaza el Doral before the entrance to Playa Dorada coming form Puerta Plata. It is on the right. Excellent seafood, but expensive for this area. The phone is 320-1410. Ask for Alberto for better service.

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
In Santiago

a restaurant owned by Asians but were Dominicans that was very good and very cheap to US standards only 1400 pesos for shrimp and a couple of beers. I would definitely go there again next time I'm in town...... just can't remember the name. ;)

kapitan75

Jun 3, 2005
kapitan 75 pic

I must say for sosua, adrians? on the broadwalk in sosua beach (public),
best fried fish at the beach, good prices., In the santo domingo, malecon
dinning, A parada (across the street from "pizzarrelli" and "bon bon") Great "steak con maduros verde". and at the colonial zone, near the plaza, first rest. on the corner "jennifers" or something, its right on the corner. mind you, im picking the best in price, quality, and atmosphere. :beard:

samiam

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Best Dr restaurant

Fellini is OK, but if Italian is your thing, I'd like to recommend Sapporo, its smaller and quite possibly the best value for your money italian restaurant in the DR. Its right in front of the Salon de Te restaurant (Best Chineese in town).

But the absolute Best restaurant in the DR must definately be "La Otra Cosa" in Cabarete followed very closely by "Atlantis" in las Terrenas. Although violently expensive, they are no doubt the best meals in the whole island.

pi?acolada

Mar 9, 2005
Best Restaurant

samiam said:
Fellini is OK, but if Italian is your thing, I'd like to recommend Sapporo, its smaller and quite possibly the best value for your money italian restaurant in the DR. Its right in front of the Salon de Te restaurant (Best Chineese in town).

But the absolute Best restaurant in the DR must definately be "La Otra Cosa" in Cabarete followed very closely by "Atlantis" in las Terrenas. Although violently expensive, they are no doubt the best meals in the whole island.

There are many good restaurants in Santo Domingo (mostly italians) like Fellini, Da franco, La Bricciola, Vesubio, Il Capuccino and Cafe Milano between them. Non italians like Pate 'e Palo (International cooking), Don Pepe (mediterranean), Rest chino de Mariscos.

faer

Jan 6, 2005
try Positano, at Roberto Pastoriza 463, small but very place, great cooking, very affordable prices and attended by his owner. It's getting to be known, so on friday nights, saturday and sundays suggest you to reserve a table by calling (809) 566-6677

TEHAMA

Feb 3, 2004
pi?acolada said:
There are many good restaurants in Santo Domingo (mostly italians) like Fellini, Da franco, La Bricciola, Vesubio, Il Capuccino and Cafe Milano between them. Non italians like Pate 'e Palo (International cooking), Don Pepe (mediterranean), Rest chino de Mariscos.

THANK YOU. Like there is one bad Italian restaurant in the world. No offense, but who can't do Italian. I would think to pick the best in the country that it would a place with "blend" cuisine. Something with skill and creativity.
TEHAMA

samiam

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Readytogo said:
It has been quite a while for me, but whatever happened to Vesuvio's on the Malecon for fine dining?

I have heard food is not so good anymore but I did go to the pizza place they have next to the restaurant and the place was quite nice and the pizza was good. Looked like a good alternative to take the fam.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Readytogo said:
It has been quite a while for me, but whatever happened to Vesuvio's on the Malecon for fine dining?
As of a few months ago it was still there with the "monkey man" still doing his tight-rope act.