Flyfishing Dominican Republic

H

Huw Llewellyn

I am an experienced saltwater flyfisherman and would like information about its availability in the Dominican

D

darius

I don't know where you would do any flyfishing in the D R, but i'll be there in october, if u will be there, I wouldn't mind havin a go at it, I often go sea fishing in jamaica.

bye for now

darius

L

Larry

There are very few salt water charter fishing opportunities, fly or otherwise, in the Dominican Republic. Most are offered by hotels and I do not know of any charters that have fly fishing equipment. They also do not have the "Tease and switch" or "Bait and switch" experience that is necessary for fly fishing.

Blue Marlin fishing is excellent from June through September on both the north and east coasts and good on the south coast. Most are small, in the 100 to 200 pound range, however a 500 pounder and 300 pounder were taken last Friday off Monte Cristi, on the northwest coast and the top three fish in the Cabeza de Tora tournament (on the east coast) last July, were all over 300 pounds. White Marlin, good to excellent, August through November, Sailfish good to excellent in the fall to early winter, Dorado (Mai Mai, Dolphin Fish) good to excellent year round, Wahoo excellent in the fall, espeically on the north coast. King Mackrel and Tuna fishing are both fair to good in the summer months.