Por y para (practice for beginners)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
It is so quiet in here......voy a romper el silencio.

-----------------------------------------------

Fill in the blank with por or para accordingly. I added the English translation which I think will help you with your choice.

1) El regalo es ---- mi mam?. (The gift is for my mom)

2) Lo hago ---- ti. (I am doing it for you)

3) ?--- cu?ndo necesitas la informaci?n? (When (what date) do you need the info)

4) ?---- qu? no est?s contento? (Why aren't you happy)

5) ---- llegar a Alemania pasamos ---- Francia. (To get Germany we passed through France)

6) No estoy --- bromas. (I am not in the mood for jokes)

7) Estoy loco --- ti. (I am crazy for you)

8) --- llegar al centro puedes tomar el metro. (To get downtown you can take the metro)

9) Las tiendas est?n cerradas --- ser d?a feriado. (The stores are closed because it's a holiday)

10) Voy --- pan. (I am going to get bread)

11) ? --- qu? sirve esta informaci?n? (What is this information for)

12) --- lo general el clima es c?lido en la RD. (Generally the weather is hot in the DR)

13) Estoy muy contenta --- ti. (I am very happy for you)

14) El ni?o es muy alto ------ su edad. (The boy is tall for his age)

15) Creo que ser? m?s f?cil --- m?. (I think it will be easier for me)

16) --- ahora est? bien aunque no estoy de acuerdo. (It's okay for now although I don't agree)

17) --- fin llegaron. El vuelo se atras?. (They finally arrived. The flight was delayed)

18) Hay juguetes --- todos los ni?os. (There are toys for all the kids)

19) Los ciudadanos luchan ----- la paz. (The citizens fight for peace)

20) A pesar de todos los contratiempos se esfuerzan --- sobrevivir. (In spite of all the setbacks they are making an effort to survive)

21) Necesitamos una habitaci?n --- dos personas. (We need a room for two people)

* Please note that in some cases the actual word "for" is not used in English but it is required in Spanish.

Last edited:

Johnny B

Jan 8, 2004
Here is my try

1) El regalo es para mi mam?. (The gift is for my mom)

2) Lo hago para ti. (I am doing it for you)

3) ?Por cu?ndo necesitas la informaci?n? (When (what date) do you need the info)

4) ?Por qu? no est?s contento? (Why aren't you happy)

5) Para llegar a Alemania pasamos por Francia. (To get Germany we passed through France)

6) No estoy por bromas. (I am not in the mood for jokes)

7) Estoy loco para ti. (I am crazy for you)

8) Para llegar al centro puedes tomar el metro. (To get downtown you can take the metro)

9) Las tiendas est?n cerradas para ser d?a feriado. (The stores are closed because it's a holiday)

10) Voy para pan. (I am going to get bread)

11) ? Para qu? sirve esta informaci?n? (What is this information for)

12) Por lo general el clima es c?lido en la RD. (Generally the weather is hot in the DR)

13) Estoy muy contenta por ti. (I am very happy for you)

14) El ni?o es muy alto por su edad. (The boy is tall for his age)

15) Creo que ser? m?s f?cil por m?. (I think it will be easier for me)

16) Por ahora est? bien aunque no estoy de acuerdo. (It's okay for now although I don't agree)

17) Por fin llegaron. El vuelo se atras?. (They finally arrived. The flight was delayed)

18) Necesito m?s tiempo para terminar el trabajo. (I need more time to finish the work)

19) Los ciudadanos luchan para la paz. (The citizens fight for peace)

20) A pesar de todos los contratiempos se esfuerzan para sobrevivir. (In spite of all the setbacks they are making an effort to survive)

21) Necesitamos una habitaci?n por dos personas. (We need a room for two people)

Hace mucho tiempo pero...

xamaicano

Apr 16, 2004

2) Lo hago para ti. (I am doing it for you)

3) ? Por cu?ndo necesitas la informaci?n? (When (what date) do you need the info)

4) ?Por qu? no est?s contento? (Why aren't you happy)

5) Para llegar a Alemania pasamos por Francia. (To get Germany we passed through France)

6) No estoy para bromas. (I am not in the mood for jokes)

8) Para llegar al centro puedes tomar el metro. (To get downtown you can take the metro)

9) Las tiendas est?n cerradas por ser d?a feriado. (The stores are closed because it's a holiday)

10) Voy para pan. (I am going to get bread)

11) ?Para qu? sirve esta informaci?n? (What is this information for)

12) Por lo general el clima es c?lido en la RD. (Generally the weather is hot in the DR)

13) Estoy muy contenta para ti. (I am very happy for you)

14) El ni?o es muy alto para su edad. (The boy is tall for his age)

15) Creo que ser? m?s f?cil para m?. (I think it will be easier for me)

16) Por ahora est? bien aunque no estoy de acuerdo. (It's okay for now although I don't agree)

17)Por fin llegaron. El vuelo se atras?. (They finally arrived. The flight was delayed)

18) Hay juguetes para todos los ni?os. (There are toys for all the kids)

19) Los ciudadanos luchan para la paz. (The citizens fight for peace)

20) A pesar de todos los contratiempos se esfuerzan para sobrevivir. (In spite of all the setbacks they are making an effort to survive)

21) Necesitamos una habitaci?n para dos personas. (We need a room for two people)

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
Here I go.....

Good idea Lesley D I like the practice!
Hope I did good lol I have to think twice since I mix my Portugues lol

2) Lo hago por ti. (I am doing it for you)

3) Para cu?ndo necesitas la informaci?n? (When (what date) do you need the info)

4) Por qu? no est?s contento? (Why aren't you happy)

6) No estoy por bromas. (I am not in the mood for jokes)

8) Por llegar al centro puedes tomar el metro. (To get downtown you can take the metro)

9) Las tiendas est?n cerradas por ser d?a feriado. (The stores are closed because it's a holiday)

10) Voy por pan. (I am going to get bread)

11) Por qu? sirve esta informaci?n? (What is this information for)

13) Estoy muy contenta por ti. (I am very happy for you)

14) El ni?o es muy alto para su edad. (The boy is tall for his age)

15) Creo que ser? m?s f?cil para m?. (I think it will be easier for me)

16) Para ahora est? bien aunque no estoy de acuerdo. (It's okay for now although I don't agree)

17) Por fin llegaron. El vuelo se atras?. (They finally arrived. The flight was delayed)

18) Hay juguetes para todos los ni?os. (There are toys for all the kids)

19) Los ciudadanos luchan por la paz. (The citizens fight for peace)

21) Necesitamos una habitaci?n para dos personas. (We need a room for two people)

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Corrections

These are the ones that are incorrect. Wherever you used "por" it s/b "para" and vice versa.

JohnnyB- Corrections
* Please disregard #18. I changed that phrase after you already completed the exercise.

2) Lo hago para ti. (I am doing it for you) / "Por" = on your behalf

3) ?Por cu?ndo necesitas la informaci?n? (When (what date) do you need the info) / "Para"= with dates in the future

6) No estoy por bromas. (I am not in the mood for jokes) / "Para" (idiomatic expression)

7) Estoy loco para ti. (I am crazy for you) / "Por" (idiomatic expression)

9) Las tiendas est?n cerradas para ser d?a feriado. (The stores are closed because it's a holiday) / "Por" (motivo=reason)

10) Voy para pan. (I am going to get bread) / "Por" (always with "ir" when it means "in search of" or "going to get something")

14) El ni?o es muy alto por su edad. (The boy is tall for his age) / "Para" (comparison)

15) Creo que ser? m?s f?cil por m?. (I think it will be easier for me) / "Para" (undefined comparison)

19) Los ciudadanos luchan para la paz. (The citizens fight for peace) / "Por" (idiomatic usage "luchar por" + a noun (la paz), "luchar para" + verb. However, this a common error)

20) A pesar de todos los contratiempos se esfuerzan para sobrevivir. (In spite of all the setbacks they are making an effort to survive) / "Por" (idiomatic usage "esforzarse por")

21) Necesitamos una habitaci?n por dos personas. (We need a room for two people) / "Para" (objective)

------------------------------
Xamaicano-Corrections
2) Lo hago para ti. (I am doing it for you) / "Por" = "on your behalf"

3) ? Por cu?ndo necesitas la informaci?n? (When (what date) do you need the info) / "Para" = with dates in the future

10) Voy para pan. (I am going to get bread) / "Por" (always with "ir" when it means "in search of" or "going to get something")

13) Estoy muy contenta para ti. (I am very happy for you) / "Por" (idiomatic)

19) Los ciudadanos luchan para la paz. (The citizens fight for peace) / "Por" (idiomatic usage "luchar por" + a noun (la paz), "luchar para" + verb. However, this a common error)

20) A pesar de todos los contratiempos se esfuerzan para sobrevivir. (In spite of all the setbacks they are making an effort to survive) / "Por" (idiomatic usage "esforzarse por")

------------------------------------
Music- Corrections
6) No estoy por bromas. (I am not in the mood for jokes) / "Para" (idiomatic expression)

8) Por llegar al centro puedes tomar el metro. (To get downtown you can take the metro) / "Para" (in order to)

11) Por qu? sirve esta informaci?n? (What is this information for) / "Para" (purpose)

16) Para ahora est? bien aunque no estoy de acuerdo. (It's okay for now although I don't agree) / "Por" (idiomatic expression= por ahora =for now)

Status
Not open for further replies.