Holas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morena76

May 10, 2005
On my trip to POP earlier this month several people greeted my friends and I with "Holas" instead of "Hola." I didn't hear this in Santiago or Santo Domingo. I'm not confused as to the meaning, just wondering if that is used in other countries or if it's just a DR thing. And maybe just a northern DR thing, at that. ;)

lilcanadiangal

Jan 23, 2004
Never heard that..

Morena76 said:
On my trip to POP earlier this month several people greeted my friends and I with "Holas" instead of "Hola." I didn't hear this in Santiago or Santo Domingo. I'm not confused as to the meaning, just wondering if that is used in other countries or if it's just a DR thing. And maybe just a northern DR thing, at that. ;)

Well, in the year I spent in POP..I must say I have never ever heard anyone say "Holas". Has anyone else?

mofi

Feb 9, 2005
Could it be the accent??? that you think you hear them saying holas but they are just saying hola? I dunno i have never heard holas.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
mofi said:
Could it be the accent??? that you think you hear them saying holas but they are just saying hola? I dunno i have never heard holas.

I have seen it in writing, on Spanish messageboards and such that my son visits ( teenager ), but never heard it...
Fashion issue? Like on boards now they don?t write Saludos.. they write
Salu2....
Have not heard it being said though,.,,

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I've never heard it but this is a totally wild guess on my part.

I wonder since words these days are shorten maybe instead of saying "hola a todos" it's been shortened to "holas" because they are saying it to more than one person. :cross-eye

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Anna Coniglio said:
I've never heard it but this is a totally wild guess on my part.

I wonder since words these days are shorten maybe instead of saying "hola a todos" it's been shortened to "holas" because they are saying it to more than one person. :cross-eye

I don?t think your guess is so "wild" Anna, as I wrote above, I?ve seen it on messageboards where the youngsters write to "everyone" and not a specific person.

May 31, 2005
I've heard it. Heck I even used it for a while. Then it got old and I stopped. I think it was just a fad. :cross-eye

Status
Not open for further replies.