mr guzman

mrmagic

Nov 25, 2003
I was wondering if you can help me
firstly i contracted an architect to draw and then seek governmental approval for the construction of my house in the cabarete area. The following steps then took place.

1/This architect sought and obtained approval from a governmental office in pop. I then paid the cash amount for this approval and received all relevant certificates. I then though all was okay

2/sometime later, it came to my attention that infact the governmental department in pop that originally provided my architect with approval for my home construction was more than likely acting outside of its jurisdiction, and infact i should deal with the cabarete approval department.

3/with my current builder i visited the cabarete department and then sought, obtained and paid for a second approval for my home construction.Cabarete approval dept said THEY are responsible for approvals not pop.

My questions are these;
1/can i obtain a refund from one of these departments as ive clearly paid for one to many approvals, i even used a high profile lawyer during this process to minimise problems of this nature eventuating?
2/ can you help me?

3/for future reference which department actually has permission to grant approvals for cabarete, or is one as good as the other?
cheers

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
Here is a list of the different government departments you have to go through to obtain a construction license:

1) The local ?ayuntamiento? (municipality or city hall).
2) Ministry of Tourism if in a tourist area.
3) Edenorte (approval of electrical plans).
4) INAPA (approval of plumbing, etc.)
5) Liga Municipal Dominicana (League of Municipalities).
6) CODIA (a tax is due to the College of Engineers for every construction).
7) Ministry of Public Works where the permit is finally issued.

If the construction is in Cabarete, then the Cabarete authorities will issue the first permit, not Puerto Plata.

You should have your builder continue with the other steps to obtain the construction license.

mrmagic

Nov 25, 2003
Fabio J. Guzman said:
Here is a list of the different government departments you have to go through to obtain a construction license:

1) The local “ayuntamiento” (municipality or city hall).
2) Ministry of Tourism if in a tourist area.
3) Edenorte (approval of electrical plans).
4) INAPA (approval of plumbing, etc.)
5) Liga Municipal Dominicana (League of Municipalities).
6) CODIA (a tax is due to the College of Engineers for every construction).
7) Ministry of Public Works where the permit is finally issued.

If the construction is in Cabarete, then the Cabarete authorities will issue the first permit, not Puerto Plata.

You should have your builder continue with the other steps to obtain the construction license.

thank you very much, given that ive paid pop aswell as cabarete .....do you think i can get my money for the appoval back from pop, surely this must be possible!
thanks again
m

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
What he should have done is ask you (and pay for) for representation before and not after, words to anyone contemplating real estate in the DR.