el tenedor (teh-neh-dor) the fork

el cuchillo (koo-chee-yoh) the knife

la cuchara (koo-chah-rah) the spoon

el vaso (vah-soh) the glass

la taza (tah-sah) the cup

la servilleta ( sair-vee-yeh-tah) serviette or napkin

la sal (sahl) the salt

la pimienta (pee-mee-en-tah)

la pimienta (pee-mee-en-tah) the pepper, which you have to ask for!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
A very few more

El sigh bo = the side board or the multi-drawered chest of drawers in the dining area
Los cubiertos = "lo cubiertoh"= a place setting of knife, fork and spoons.
El jarr?n de agua = water jug
Cucharra de servir = serving spoon also called "cucharra de mesa"
Plato de servir = serving platter

HB:D:D

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
It's spelled vaso but sounds like baso when spoken. That b-v thingy ;)

Taza or copa is used for cup.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Music said:
Thanks Anna!
Copo is Portuguese so I'll remember copa easily ;)

I guess you could have "una copa de vino" depending on the kind it's made of. Like the old days of the round table when they used metal cups to drink vine.

Ok someone else help us. ;)

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
Okay Anna I will use la taza or el vaso depending on what I'm drinking.
We will await for others to help out! :classic:

Anna Coniglio said:
I guess you could have "una copa de vino" depending on the kind it's made of. Like the old days of the round table when they used metal cups to drink vine.

Ok someone else help us. ;)

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
because

Anna Coniglio said:
You'll have to explain that. Why do you have to ask for it?

Because Dominicans dont normally use it. and the Waiters never bring it to the table. Unless they have a large foreign client base

hugoke01

Dec 31, 2004
Vino ? fino

Music said:
Thanks that clears it up for me! :classic:

In Spain you have to pronounce vino or fino very clearly because vino is obviously wine but fino is a dry sherry..

So if you ask for a vino or a fino it makes a difference (especially as foreigners we have already a difficulty to pronounce correctly vino (bino )

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
Thanks, I should be okay I Speak Portuguese so I can pronounce stuf okay it's just remembering to say it in Spanish not Portuguese lol I will remember that tip!
In Portugues it's vinho so it's close to vino.
I'm liking this I get to learn lots more, great idea Anna!

hugoke01 said:
In Spain you have to pronounce vino or fino very clearly because vino is obviously wine but fino is a dry sherry..

So if you ask for a vino or a fino it makes a difference (especially as foreigners we have already a difficulty to pronounce correctly vino (bino )

gatoazul

Aug 24, 2004
Cuchara

Hillbilly said:
El sigh bo = the side board or the multi-drawered chest of drawers in the dining area
El jarr?n de agua = water jug
Cucharra de servir = serving spoon also called "cucharra de mesa"
Plato de servir = serving platter

HB:D:D

The word for spoon is cuchara (with just one r to get the sound of the r as in the word scary. ;)

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004

Sorry, but 'vino fino' translates as 'fine wine', and Sherry is Jerez, in Spain and all Spanish-speaking countries.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004

'cubiertos' translates as 'silverware', everywhere...so 'a silverware set' translates as 'un juego de cubiertos', but you ask for 'mis cubiertos' or 'nuestros cubiertos'...

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Mirador said:
Sorry, but 'vino fino' translates as 'fine wine', and Sherry is Jerez, in Spain and all Spanish-speaking countries.

No, the poster is right but only as far as Spain is concerned. 'Fino', 'oloroso', 'amontillado' etc are all used to define the type of sherry you are asking for, and could be confused with vino if you ask for 'un fino'. I think it's even happened to me in Spain. Although you normally wouldn't ask for wine without specifying the colour - 'un tinto', 'un rosado' or 'un vino blanco'.

Anywhere else in the Spanish-speaking world this confusion would not arise, because these wines are not common, so you would indeed have to start off from the point where you are asking for a 'jerez' as opposed to any other kind of wine.

check out www.sherry.org

hugoke01

Dec 31, 2004
Vino and Fino

Fino is a dry sherry in Spain ..I'm sorry but live close to Madrid since 1990 and can assure you that Fino has this meaning ... of course not in the way you combine it : un vino fino ... Jerez is a type of sherry
Mirador said:

Status
Not open for further replies.