Your "Good" experiences in the DR

palmiche

Mar 26, 2005
-This thread is dedicated to the "Good things" and memorable experiences you have experienced in the D.R.

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
palmiche said:
-This thread is dedicated to the "Good things" and memorable experiences you have experienced in the D.R.

Do you expect people to put more effort into responding to your post than you did in posting it?

jackquontee

May 20, 2005
Wonderful people

palmiche, although I noted this in another thread somewhere, it seems very appropriate for this thread, so I'll give it a try.

On my first trip to Punta Cana with a couple of friends we happened to stay at the Bavaro Princess Resort. Across the street in a little plaza we found a small restaurant to eat in. Nothing special, and the food was okay. While there, I noticed a waitress, and she noticed me. I thought, "what have I got to lose?" So, I called her over and, in the best Spanish I could put together, I asked her a bit about herself. We talked as best we could and, although we didn't get very far, she seemed sweet and interesting. Prior to this I happened to meet a guy named Manuel who now has a store in the plaza area, and he spoke English pretty well as he had live in the states for several years. He was kind enough to interpret for the girl and I, and did so the remainder of my trip, and we were finally able to find out more about each other.

Alas, the trip came to an end and, as I informed her, through Manuel, that I would like to keep in touch with her, Manuel gave me his cell phone and store numbers and told me that I could call anytime I liked and he would be more than happy to interpret for me. He didn't ask for anything, and didn't receive anything, other than a new friend.

I am returning to PC at the end of June and will definitely stop in to see him, and spend a few pesos at his store as well. I am well aware that there are many people in DR for whom I need to keep a wary eye out. Just the same as in the US. I have been to alot of locations around the world, though mostly the Caribbean and Mexico, and very rarely receive this kind of treatment. I'm usually met with suspicion or simple disinterest. But it was refreshing to meet someone who was willing to give without expecting anything back in return. And, for that, he has made a true friend. That is the type of people who I hope to continue meeting.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Si y No!

palmiche said:
Well, I think that CyaBye3015 has a point but nonetheless, the magic word is "Good things".

I have had "tons" of memorable experiences in the DR but the one that touches my heart, 22 years later, was the one that happened on my first trip back in 1983 after an absence of 9 years (came to the US in '74 when I was 11 y/o and went back in 1983).

One day I went to visit Dona Elena (a lady that was my ex stepmom). Passing by was this little kid, 10, that was a "limpiabotas". He had asked me if I wanted him to shine my shoes even though I had sneakers on. I simply said "no thanks" and gave him 1 peso. He said that he was going home because he was tired. Within minutes, I saw him coming towards me with his mother. His mother just wanted to know if it was true that I had given him 1 peso. She just wanted to make sure that he was telling the truth and that he did not do "anything dumm". She told me that she was poor but that she wanted to educate her kids to be "men and women" of good.

I offered to drive her and her son to her home and she said "no, esta bien, gracias".

When I decided to leave, Ramon and I drove towards this poor neighborhood. All of a sudden I saw that same kid coming out of a colmado. He saw me and told me "I bought this for you with the peso you gave me and I was going to bring it to you right now". He had bought me 3 mentas. He pointed to me where he lived and then I realized why his mother did not wanted me to driver them to their home. All of a sudden I realized that I needed and wanted to help this kid. Out came the mother from the "house" and waved at us to go over to where she was. She invited us in and I could not believe how poor they were. A single mom with 2 kids and her grandmother. I saw that they were very happy and that she would hug and kiss her kids all the time. She offered drinks and food. We both declined. We stayed with them for about an hour, enough time to find many things about them and how poor they were. I told them that I was going to keep in touch and left.

After a few days, we went back, this time with Mom Elena, Ramon and my then girlfriend. I told the mother, grandmother and kid that I wanted to talk with them alone. I went straight to the point and told them: " I will help you have a better life because your situation touched my heart and because I see that your son is a nice kid. I do have one and only one request: please do not ask me for anything, ever. I will help you out but let it come from me. Just say that you agree and let's move on and not talk about it anymore". She said that she needed to think about it because she was very proud and did not wanted a handout. I told her to think about the welfare of her kids.

A few visits more and she was still thinking about it concerned that she would be taking advantage of me. I told her that it would not be taking advantage of me since I came up with the idea and that I had no hidden agendas. All of a sudden she said no, that it was not fair. I asked her to at least let me take care of her son's education. She said that that was ok. Bingo!. I told him: "as of today, your limpiabotas days are over".

I kept in touch with the kid calling him from here 3 times a week. As promised, I took care of his education and made his life a little easier. I visited them every single time that I went to the DR. I took them, sometimes, to some of my trips within the DR (La Romana, Santiago, San Pedro, Boca Chica, Altos De Chavon, Puerto Plata, Cabarete, Sosua and other places).

The good thing about this story is that 21 years later, I am the proud "father" of a very well educated, respected and loved Civil Engineer. The love that this kid shows me is just priceless. Has never asked me for anything as I asked and I since he never has, I gave everything I could. He has the most loving wife and 2 kids and is now living in Gazcue with them and his mother(who married and divorced). Sorry to say that grandma died 3 years ago. My proudest moment was when he was going to get married and told me that if I was not there to introduce me as his "father" that he was not going to get married. Right then and there I told anybody that would listen " see, it was worth it, dammit". One day, while picking me up at the airport, he told me: "papa" I have a job and I can take of myself. I am still going to the univerity but the money that I make is enough, please don't get mad, now is time to show you how much I love you and appreciate all your help over the years. Thanks for making me that man that I am". I said fine but as a proud "papa" I just can not stop helping him every now and then. He is such a humble and great person.

Btw, he is not the only person that I have helped over the years. I have a few others just like his but his is the one that I hold very dear in my heart because he was the first one. I always say that I became a better man after I started helping him. I truly believe it!!.

jackquontee

May 20, 2005
A Good Man

miguel said:
Well, I think that CyaBye3015 has a point but nonetheless, the magic word is "Good things".

I have had "tons" of memorable experiences in the DR but the one that touches my heart, 22 years later, was the one that happened on my first trip back in 1983 after an absence of 9 years (came to the US in '74 when I was 11 y/o and went back in 1983).

One day I went to visit Dona Elena (a lady that was my ex stepmom). Passing by was this little kid, 10, that was a "limpiabotas". He had asked me if I wanted him to shine my shoes even though I had sneakers on. I simply said "no thanks" and gave him 1 peso. He said that he was going home because he was tired. Within minutes, I saw him coming towards me with his mother. His mother just wanted to know if it was true that I had given him 1 peso. She just wanted to make sure that he was telling the truth and that he did not do "anything dumm". She told me that she was poor but that she wanted to educate her kids to be "men and women" of good.

I offered to drive her and her son to her home and she said "no, esta bien, gracias".

When I decided to leave, Ramon and I drove towards this poor neighborhood. All of a sudden I saw that same kid coming out of a colmado. He saw me and told me "I bought this for you with the peso you gave me and I was going to bring it to you right now". He had bought me 3 mentas. He pointed to me where he lived and then I realized why his mother did not wanted me to driver them to their home. All of a sudden I realized that I needed and wanted to help this kid. Out came the mother from the "house" and waved at us to go over to where she was. She invited us in and I could not believe how poor they were. A single mom with 2 kids and her grandmother. I saw that they were very happy and that she would hug and kiss her kids all the time. She offered drinks and food. We both declined. We stayed with them for about an hour, enough time to find many things about them and how poor they were. I told them that I was going to keep in touch and left.

After a few days, we went back, this time with Mom Elena, Ramon and my then girlfriend. I told the mother, grandmother and kid that I wanted to talk with them alone. I went straight to the point and told them: " I will help you have a better life because your situation touched my heart and because I see that your son is a nice kid. I do have one and only one request: please do not ask me for anything, ever. I will help you out but let it come from me. Just say that you agree and let's move on and not talk about it anymore". She said that she needed to think about it because she was very proud and did not wanted a handout. I told her to think about the welfare of her kids.

A few visits more and she was still thinking about it concerned that she would be taking advantage of me. I told her that it would not be taking advantage of me since I came up with the idea and that I had no hidden agendas. All of a sudden she said no, that it was not fair. I asked her to at least let me take care of her son's education. She said that that was ok. Bingo!. I told him: "as of today, your limpiabotas days are over".

I kept in touch with the kid calling him from here 3 times a week. As promised, I took care of his education and made his life a little easier. I visited them every single time that I went to the DR. I took them, sometimes, to some of my trips within the DR (La Romana, Santiago, San Pedro, Boca Chica, Altos De Chavon, Puerto Plata, Cabarete, Sosua and other places).

The good thing about this story is that 21 years later, I am the proud "father" of a very well educated, respected and loved Civil Engineer. The love that this kid shows me is just priceless. Has never asked me for anything as I asked and I since he never has, I gave everything I could. He has the most loving wife and 2 kids and is now living in Gazcue with them and his mother(who married and divorced). Sorry to say that grandma died 3 years ago. My proudest moment was when he was going to get married and told me that if I was not there to introduce me as his "father" that he was not going to get married. Right then and there I told anybody that would listen " see, it was worth it, dammit". One day, while picking me up at the airport, he told me: "papa" I have a job and I can take of myself. I am still going to the univerity but the money that I make is enough, please don't get mad, now is time to show you how much I love you and appreciate all your help over the years. Thanks for making me that man that I am". I said fine but as a proud "papa" I just can not stop helping him every now and then. He is such a humble and great person.

Btw, he is not the only person that I have helped over the years. I have a few others just like his but his is the one that I hold very dear in my heart because he was the first one. I always say that I became a better man after I started helping him. I truly believe it!!.

Miguel, you're a good man. God Bless You.

Angel_04

Sep 20, 2004
miguel said:
Well, I think that CyaBye3015 has a point but nonetheless, the magic word is "Good things". I have had "tons" of memorable experiences in the DR but the one that touches my heart...
Wow Miguel... your story is truly touching. It's so wonderful that you were able to do so much for that boy. I am so impressed. Gonna go get a tissue now! :cry: Have a good weekend.

p.s. I have so many memorable things... gonna have to think a little bit more about which ones I will share! ;) xx

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Well then.....

Angel_04 said:
Wow Miguel... your story is truly touching. It's so wonderful that you were able to do so much for that boy. I am so impressed. Gonna go get a tissue now! :cry: Have a good weekend.

p.s. I have so many memorable things... gonna have to think a little bit more about which ones I will share! ;) xx
Better get a box of tissues since I have 4 more just like that , :p . But one is enough for now!.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
MIguel it is nice to hear such things do happen and turn out well.

A little thing that touched me recently:

I was having a very nasty day! Serious issues with the company I used to work for, pouring rain that I got caught in, nasty people turning up ..... anyway.... the daughter of the owner of my office building location, shows up at my office at 5:15pm. She says, you have had such a sour day, I have brought you something sweet. She brought me a non alcoholic pena colada! I was very very touched that she would notice or care enough to do this.

My office is located about Cariatides Restaurant in Puerto Plata. She went downstairs and got me the drink! The thought was absolutely priceless.

Things like this continuously touch me in this country and more then make up for the not so nice things.....

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
miguel said:
I always say that I became a better man after I started helping him. I truly believe it!!.

Wonderful post Miguel!
And yes, it is about the giving.. we don?t always recieve in return, sometimes not at all and sometimes later or in other ways..
And you truly got so much more back!
Your actions and heart is an inspiration to others.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Shhhhhhhhhhh!

carina said:
Wonderful post Miguel!
And yes, it is about the giving.. we don?t always recieve in return, sometimes not at all and sometimes later or in other ways..
And you truly got so much more back!
Your actions and heart is an inspiration to others.
jackquontee, Angel_04, planner and carina: shhhhh, don't say it to loud, the "haters" are looking, ;) !!!.

Yes carina, it's about the giving. I, for one, can not stand being given gifts by people that I try to help. Some of them are so grateful that they try to show their gratitute by bying me things. I put a stop to it right away. The only gift that I will accept is the happiness that I get when I know that I am helping someone.

My mom used to say "give from the heart and never expect anything back in return" and "do not value a person's gift by it's monetary value". Up to this date, even my family and closest friends know that I would rather get a simple card from them than a gift.

Btw, if anybody want to donate to church, orphanage, poor villages, Hogar Crea, and other non-profit organizations, let me know and I would get you some numbers to call. I would not get involved since my role is more "behind the scenes".

Last edited:

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
miguel said:
Angel_04, planner and carina: shhhhh, don't say it to loud, the "haters" are looking, ;) !!!.

Yes carina, it's about the giving. I, for one, can not stand being given gifts by people that I try to help. Some of them are so grateful that they try to show their gratitute by bying me things. I put a stop to it right away. The only gift that I will accept is the happiness that I get when I know that I am helping someone.

You still get so much in return, and it is not for sale at Casa Nelson.
I know a boy here in Puerto Plata who I have helped for several years, mainly with school costs and costs for afternoon activities. He used to sell CDs before at the age of 9 in the city. Lives with mother and 2 siblings.
But you know what? I have gotten alot of return from this family, and still do.
The mother is the one who taugth me the secrets of Dominican cooking.. you?d die for my bolas de queso y yucca or my pollo guisado!
The mother, is the one who has without knowing it, given my son alots of lessons in humbleness and she has put alots of questions in his teenager mind...
If that is not gifts and getting something in return, then I don?t know what is.
But as you say, there is pride involved, and it is natural...

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Bolas de queso, yummy!

carina said:
You still get so much in return, and it is not for sale at Casa Nelson.
I know a boy here in Puerto Plata who I have helped for several years, mainly with school costs and costs for afternoon activities. He used to sell CDs before at the age of 9 in the city. Lives with mother and 2 siblings.
But you know what? I have gotten alot of return from this family, and still do.
The mother is the one who taugth me the secrets of Dominican cooking.. you?d die for my bolas de queso y yucca or my pollo guisado!
The mother, is the one who has without knowing it, given my son alots of lessons in humbleness and she has put alots of questions in his teenager mind...
If that is not gifts and getting something in return, then I don?t know what is.
But as you say, there is pride involved, and it is natural...
All it take is some humbliness and knowing that you can make a difference.

I have found out that the best reward is when you know in your heart that you are making a difference on a person's life.

I was raised to believe that helping others would make me happier but only if I did it from the heart. I can assure you that up to this day, ANYBODY can count on me, even the people that do not care too much for me.

Not at saint, as many of you have noticed, but as my great and wonderful mother used to tell anybody that would listen: "outspoken to no end but the biggest heart in the world".

Btw, this is an AMAZING THREAD and it's a shame that not many others are sharing their good stories. I know that we have members here that have had "tons" of good stories to tell.

COME ON GUYS, the DR is not only about sankies and drinking and partying and cheap sex, let's hear about your role in making a difference in the DR. Let's hear if someone in the DR did something good for you and/or you for someone in the DR!!!!!.

heldengebroed

Bronze
Mar 9, 2005
My experience doesn't have the same level as the previous one but it is the moment i fell in love with the country and decided that i would go and live there one day.

I was visiting my girlfreinds (now my wifes) family on my first trip to the DR. On a sunny afternoon (understatement it was hot, realy hot) i was discussing economics with my wifes cousins. Due to the temerature the discussion was rather relaxed (it can also be that the number of cuba libres helped the relaxed atmosphere but anyhow), at one point i was pondering on an awnser when a collibri came and mistook the straw of my cuba libre for a flower and began to drink from it.

That was the precise moment i fell in love with the country and now i'm working to get there permanently. If things go right the counter is at 94 days befor arrival if things go not so right the counter is at 94 +365 days fingers crossed

Greetings

Johan

Nov 5, 2004
These are the situations that miguel and carina and others speak about where sankie banky should send it's extra costs. Not just to the beautiful models!!! http://www.dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40747&page=2&pp=15

LOL

But seriously. These were wonderful storis. they really touched me, and I KNOW there are many more like these. I don't have alot of money to donate as of this point in my life, but I try as often as possbile to bring school supplies down to the DR. It's not always easy and even at Xmas they charged me extra baggage for the school supplies :( Cost over $100 cdn..whcich was more then it cost me to buy them all, since I bought nice and "cool" thing but from a dollar store.

Oh well..it was worth it to see their faces when I gave them out. Espcaily the "life sized" coloring bookes and color chalks and things like that...they proudly show me the new pictures they have drawn for me EVERy time I visit. It makes it worth every cent!! Mostly the little kids in these pics:
http://dr1.com/media/cgi-bin/media....r_Photos&image=familyinlarusia.JPG&img=32&tt=

http://community.webshots.com/photo/325521927/325641061ejzjFq

http://community.webshots.com/photo/325521927/325660419znCinT

http://community.webshots.com/scrip...D=242350867&photoID=242522097&security=GDdnBv

la flor

Jan 6, 2005
on my first trip to the DR, I left there so sad for the many poor children I saw. After that I decided here at home I will never give my childrens clothing/ shoes/ toys to any organizations here, and on my next three trips to the DR this past year I packed up about 60lb. bags, took them with me, and just passed them out to small children who looked needy. On my last trip I gave the stuff to the hotel workers who had children with the clothing sizes I had. they appreciated it so much, and I felt really good about it.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
heldengebroed said:
My experience doesn't have the same level as the previous one but it is the moment i fell in love with the country and decided that i would go and live there one day.

I was visiting my girlfreinds (now my wifes) family on my first trip to the DR. On a sunny afternoon (understatement it was hot, realy hot) i was discussing economics with my wifes cousins. Due to the temerature the discussion was rather relaxed (it can also be that the number of cuba libres helped the relaxed atmosphere but anyhow), at one point i was pondering on an awnser when a collibri came and mistook the straw of my cuba libre for a flower and began to drink from it.

That was the precise moment i fell in love with the country and now i'm working to get there permanently. If things go right the counter is at 94 days befor arrival if things go not so right the counter is at 94 +365 days fingers crossed

Greetings

Johan

Wow, I like this story... I can picture it as a postcard or a promotion for the Caribbean!

Nov 5, 2004
la flor said:
on my first trip to the DR, I left there so sad for the many poor children I saw. After that I decided here at home I will never give my childrens clothing/ shoes/ toys to any organizations here, and on my next three trips to the DR this past year I packed up about 60lb. bags, took them with me, and just passed them out to small children who looked needy. On my last trip I gave the stuff to the hotel workers who had children with the clothing sizes I had. they appreciated it so much, and I felt really good about it.

That is a lovely story to hear.

There was one littel boy I met on my first trip who took a liking to me...and brought me a flower he cut form a neighbours yard...lol...

everytime I visited after that he would do the same..untill he figured out I liked mangos he would bring me a flower and a mango a week. Had the most BEAUTFUL smile I ahve EVER seen.

I noticed although he is 8 or 9 years old he always wears this pink tweety bird shirt. So I spoke to Carlos (my husband) and found this boys family does not have much money. And he has many borhters and sisters....mostly younger then him.

I have been approced by girls in the town who tell me about a sad story how they have many kids and are single adn if I can leave them some clothes..but when theya re asking me this and are wearing nicer, newer and more expensive clothes then I own..I will not do antyhing for them...because they ask everyone this.

However this little boy's family (his mom washes ppl's clothes for a living, and his brother sells hot dogs)...I always bring an assorment of clothes domated from my enighbours for him and his family..and give them some of the school supplies too. He is a very loving little boy. Very common name..joselouis...and I look forward to my mango, flower, and HUGE smile from him every trip!!! He is very excited that I am learning Spanish and can now communicate with him ;)

http://community.webshots.com/photo/206311281/206345022iiMewn (that is him with the Candian hat)

http://community.webshots.com/photo/206210435/206229165HaKNay

http://groups.msn.com/MoreDominicanPictures/shoebox.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=24 (with his brother and the hotdogs...and the T-shirt Carlos painted for me!!) :D

Anwyas,...I believe in donate what every you CAN to the kids down there..but jstu make sure the ones who need it get it...not ppl who ask outright every tourist and have nicer clother then you! LOL

DR Rubia

Mar 12, 2005
Wow

What a wonderful story. How very proud you must be and what a great man and father you are. These are the experiences I consider "the real" Dominican. Thank you for touching my heart, and seeing the country and people as I have always seen it.

miguel said: