Annoying Phone Calls - How to Stop Them?

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Fabio,

A dear friend of mine, who lives in Santo Domingo is receiving up to 10- 15 phone calls a day, a recorded message from a collection agency. The message goes on to inform her that she has some form of debt to Scotia Bank and that she must take care of it. She has no debts of any sort with the bank. She has tried to contact the agency to stop the annoying calls. She cannot get through to them. She has spoken with the bank, their response is she needs to contact the collection agency (?great customer service on the bank's part?) . She is vulnerable, running in circles, and distraught over this situation. She is thinking of changing her phone number.

What is your advice on this matter?

Regards,
PJT

Solution

As long as she has the number from which the calls are originating, codetel can block those from her line. At least this can be done in the US and Canada, I have a hacker from another forum who somehow got my number and makes 4 am calls to me, now he is blocked.

Ultrayo

May 29, 2005
Hlywud said:
As long as she has the number from which the calls are originating, codetel can block those from her line. At least this can be done in the US and Canada, I have a hacker from another forum who somehow got my number and makes 4 am calls to me, now he is blocked.
Codetel is now Verizon. Different name but same'ol same'ol

I sometimes fantasize about getting the collection agency manager's home phone number, and calling him at 4:00 AM to tell him, at that hour, That he is mistaken. [this is not a legal opinion]

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
A friend of mine who is a software engineer had a similar problem.

This was back in the days of dial-up so he simply setup 4 pc's on 4 different phone lines to constantly call the local bank's branch office at all the phone numbers for that bank he could find. He left it auto-redialing every 30 seconds for about 3 days. After 3 days he began to dial himself, and it of course took them some time to start answering the phone again. Whe they did he asked why they weren't answering the phone, and they explained that some horrible person was tying up all their phone lines with prank calls. He acted surprised, but mentioned that POSSIBLY someone had a problem whith the way they handled debt collection, and that MAYBE if they would stop harrassing their customers, the phone calls would stop.

They stopped hassling him immediatly.