Hurricane Season Begins June 1

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
From today, June 1, until November 20, the Caribbean, including the Dominican Republic, the Gulf of Mexico and eastern United States will have hurricanes on the mind.

And since this year the temperature of the sea water is warmer than usual, the meterologists expect the 2005 hurricane season will be very active.

The two major source of pre-season predicitions are NOAA (National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration), the US governments hurricane experts, and TMP (Colorado State Unversity's Tropical Meteorology Project), the project headed by Dr. Gray). Both seem on the same page with respect to their predictions.

NOAA predicts 12-15 named tropical storms; TMP predicts 15

NOAA says there will be 7-9 hurricanes, 3 to 5 of which will be at least Category 3. TMP expects 8 hurricanes, 4 of them being at least category 3. Category 3 are storms with wind strength of 111 to 130 mph and can cause extensive damage. The worst storm, a Category 5, has winds greater than 155 mph and can cause catastrophic damage.

And TMP states that the US mainland and the Caribbean have an above average change of being hit by at least one major hurricane.

The custom is to give the storms the names of people, both male and female. The names we will be hearing about this hurricane season are:

Atlantic storm names for 2005:

Arlene, Bret, Cindy, Dennis, Emily, Franklin, Gert, Harvey, Jose, Katrina, Lee, Maria, Nate, Ophelia, Philippe, Rita, Stan, Tammy, Vince, Wilma.

As a personal aside, this is the first year in more than 20 that I haven't had a boat moored or anchored in an area where hurricanes were expected. I must say, it is a load off my mind as we begin another hurricane season.

Last edited by a moderator:

chezzy

Jun 13, 2005
hi there

heading down to porta plauta with my 15 yr old daughter do you think it will be safe thanks Cheryl ;)

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
chezzy said:
heading down to porta plauta with my 15 yr old daughter do you think it will be safe thanks Cheryl ;)

Chances of getting caught in a hurricane in the DR as scant. I have lived in this country for almost half a century and have only experienced two. What comes to play here is that this is a big island, what happens on one coast may not affect another. See http://dr1.com/weather/hurricanes.shtml to get a grasp on what hurricanes are about.

Puerto Plata is the area of the DR to receive the less hurricanes. I believe Jeanne in September 2004 was the exception. The first named hurricane to hit the area (and it was only a 1) since hurricanes were named.

Check in with dr1 as your arrival date comes near, but plan more on protecting yourself from the sun.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
As mentioned by others, Puerto Plata is not on the normal tracks followed by hurricanes and tropical storms.