Life... Canadian Style.

Lottusflower

Dec 15, 2003
Well... maybe some of you remember my story from this and the past year. Back then I was dating a Canadian, from the small town of Chapleau, Ontario. The update is that we got married in a huge ceremony on April, in Santo Domingo, and now... we live in Canada in the aforementioned town. On my previous postings I wrote about my experience visiting Canada and learning about the way of life. Now, tomorow is our second month anniversary. How am I here? I came with my visa and now we are applying from within Canada as now we are legally married and can do it from within. But that is nonsense...

The reality check is goes like this... We are enjoying beautifull weather outside the window, were I see the river everyday and the ducks, loons and birds. But from inside. The killer mosquitos in Northen Ontario chewed my neck as I was doing for the first time something called cutting the grass. Back home, I would pay some guy to do it... But not here in Canada, here I do everything by myself and as much as I appreciate it, sometimes in my insides.. I will call my maid, back home desperate... You understand, those creautures we neglect and exploit called " El servicio". Yes those women... I have to say that I have gained a new respect for them if that serves me as my price to pay.

By the way, the next day the grass was full of those beautifull yellow flowers "dandelions" you see before I ODeddddd on all the home reno craze shows, on HGTV I thought they were flowers, now, I blame those shows for my ongoing war with those WEEDSSSSS and gentelmen and ladies, living in front of the river means... they win. So I kinda gave up on them.

Ahhhh so many stories to tell, first it was too cold, now the mosquitos... now I wish it was cold again so they would DIE DIE DIE!!!! I would love to go fishing but mostly it cost money and did I mention the flies again?

With the Hubby things are going great, he is very comprehensive, and I have to say that today for the first time since I came here, I missed my family and the busy noise of the city..

Something is always going on there... right?

Here is very peacefull, maybe a litlle to much for me... I sure would like to move to a bigger city...

Hope to hear your comments...

Bye for now,

From the upper east northen Ontario city of Chapleau.

Loti

P.S.Did I mention that I am the only non-white person in town...freaky rigth?

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Good luck Lottusflower.

I have enjoyed reading your Canadian experiences and look forward to hearing many more positive adventures in your new home.

Gregg
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Welcome to Canada. I was wondering about you the day. I'm glad you posted. Hope to hear more stories.

I'm in Guelph Ontario, where it's fairly peaceful but only one hour to the exciting and noisy city of Toronto. ;)

Let us know how the process goes. Always interesting to learn new things.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Aahhh yes! Dandelions and mosquitos!

Welcome to northern Ontario Lotusflower!!

Now for the dandelions.......did you know you can turn those glorious yellow blossoms into wine?? I spent many a summer day with friends, picking those infinite blossoms for my father to turn into a golden nectar of the gods!
I'll see if I can find the family recipe if you'd like to give it a try.

Mosquitos....well give your Avon lady a call for some skin so soft to shower/bath in and slather on before heading outdoors. Buy lots of 'Skintastic' when you are at the pharmacy or "cutters' or 'Off' and apply AFTER you've applied your sunscreen. Check out my blog and you'll see some of the 'nasties' buzzing around there also. By the way....you didn't mention 'black flies' - those nearly invisible, silent commandos that take a chunk out of you and leave you to bleed to death after! :p
MommC_Mosquito.gif

You should register for a blog (they're easy.....if I can do it anyone can) so you can update us all on your experiences in adapting to "The Great White North". I'm sure it would be a real eye - opener for most of us and very informative for those making the move to a 'new' home in the temperate regions of our world.

Nice to hear from you and if you ever get to North Bay (just a little more south than Chapleau) send me a PM beforehand and we'll get together.

Last edited: