Question concerning NOG's

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Mr Guzman,

I have a question concerning NOG?s here in the DR. Is there a Dominican law that governs NOG?s and does it state how their monies can or can not be used? Specifically concerning the monies that the OFICINA NACIONAL DE PRESUPUESTO (ONAPRES) doles out each month to the NOG?s.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Rick Snyder said:
Mr Guzman,

I have a question concerning NOG?s here in the DR. Is there a Dominican law that governs NOG?s and does it state how their monies can or can not be used? Specifically concerning the monies that the OFICINA NACIONAL DE PRESUPUESTO (ONAPRES) doles out each month to the NOG?s.
Rick, I assume you mean ONG's (Organizaciones No-gubernamentales), or NGOs (non-governmental organizations) as they're known in English. I believe there is a law, but good luck getting ahold of a copy of it if you're not a lawyer. I have found over the years that most Dominican laws are notoriously hard to find copies of; Dominican government is still notoriously nontransparent...

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Drunk fingers

Keith R,
Yes I did mean ONG's and thank you for pointing that out to me as I do know better. In my defense I'll say the devil made me do it or my fingers were drunk an/or hungover from last night. Everything you said about DR laws seems to be true and that is why the question was directed to Mr Guzman or whomever may know. Here in my little town there are a lot of Dominicans that were upset to learn that in 2004 the DR government doled out $1,017,541,634.75 pesos to 3,191 ONG's. They are starting to investigate where and for what these monies were used by the 21 ONG's that El Seybo has. The problem lies in the fact that nobody here knows what is considered legal and illegal as uses of these monies. I told them that I would investigate and try to find out. As I was unable to find anything on the web I thought I would ask here.

Last edited:

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Hi Rick. I wasn't trying to be a pain, just pointing out proper acronym (and what it stands for) so you wouldn't lose any time by Fabio asking you to clarify what NOGs are. ;) LOL

I actually looked into this question myself 6 years ago, when I still lived in the DR. At the time I was trying to organize a coalition of interested parties to get changes in waste policy and practice, and I attended a number of meetings organized at that time by ONAPRES as part of a World Bank loan they had to formulate environmental policies. I kept meeting ONGs at these meetings that I had never heard of, and never saw active out in the field. Yet on closer examination, they were getting hefty sums from the official budget.... always seemed fishy to me. I know that several European governments and the EU Commision help NGOs with funding (the Netherlands particularly springs to mind), but even there I wonder about their independence (willingness to criticize the hand feeding them, when necessary) and the possibilities of corruption. In the DR, I don't wonder at all... :tired:

Anyway, at that time I tried to hunt down the law that governed NGOs and government funding thereof, and to obtain a hardcopy of it (at that time, an electronic version was totally out of the question!), but with little success. I know that the DR government is slowly improving provision online of laws and degrees (most noticeably in the environment field, I am happy to say), but the offerings are still relatively meager, even when compared to other Latin American governments (even many of the Central American governments do a better job)...

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Rick Snyder said:
Keith R,
In my defense I'll say the devil made me do it or my fingers were drunk an/or hungover from last night.
Too much Egg NOG. Or Egg ONG. Or Egg NGO.

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
A new law regulating non-profit organizations in the Dominican Republic, Law #122-05, was enacted by President Fernandez last May 3, 2005, substituting the previous regulation (Law # 520) which dated from 1920, when the DR was under the administration of an American Military Governor.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Fabio J. Guzman said:
A new law regulating non-profit organizations in the Dominican Republic, Law #122-05, was enacted by President Fernandez last May 3, 2005, substituting the previous regulation (Law # 520) which dated from 1920, when the DR was under the administration of an American Military Governor.

Rick,
If you ever want to read the text of the new law on NGOs, you can find it online at http://suprema.gov.do/pdf/leyes/ley 122-05.pdf

Best Regards,
Keith

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
aegap said:
Keith, can you please summirise the key changes?
Sorry, aegap, I can't really summarize the changes, since I never succeeded in getting my hands on a copy of the original law, so I have nothing to compare to. Perhaps Fabio could provide us with a couple of bullet-points about the changes? :classic:

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Thank you very much Keith R for the link. Just what I needed. Thanks to you also Mr Guzman for your reply.
Rick