Hotels in Santiago?

rarnold42

Jun 2, 2005
Hola! I'm new to DR1, so far so cool. I'm looking for inexpensive hotel for one night near airport in Santiago (A/C a must!). Flying jetblue back to JFK in early AM and don't want to depend on transport from el campo "en la madrugada". Any ideas?
Gracias, Papi

rarnold42

Jun 2, 2005
Tamborista said:
Stay @ a Cabana near the airport.
Helios is nice.

I don't think I'm ready for the cabanas, traveling with wife and 17 yr old daughter. Thanks, Papi

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Do a quick search here - there are at least two recent threads on hotels in Santiago , the good and the bad and in between. There are at least two North American class ones that won't break the bank for a night with a family.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
I don't believe you will find a less expensive hotel with air conditioning than The Hotel Colonial. It runs about RD500 (including tax). The rooms are small but relatively clean. Make sure the hot water works; sometimes the heating element doesn't work.

Someone posted that there is a new and old section of the hotel. If that's the case, ask for the newer rooms.

Their telephone number is 809-247-3122. Both the owner and his son speak English.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Definately go with Hotel Colonial

They are near to the main roads out of town (about a 12-15 minute run at that hour of the morning).

You can call Emi Taxi at 809 581 3000 and ask for a van, that way there will be enough room for the baggage. Get the price to the airport from the operator before you hang up.....Should be about 300-450 pesos....

HB:D:D

PS: I just checked and it's RD$300. You should pay the RD$10 parking fee to get into the airport and perhaps a tip at that hour of the morning.
The good thing about being at the Colonial or the Aloha Sol (more expensive x 3) is that they are known to the taxi companies as "safe" places to pick up passengers in the wee hours of the a.m.:D:D:D:D:p:p:p

rarnold42

Jun 2, 2005
Lost in Santiago...

Hillbilly said:
They are near to the main roads out of town (about a 12-15 minute run at that hour of the morning).

You can call Emi Taxi at 809 581 3000 and ask for a van, that way there will be enough room for the baggage. Get the price to the airport from the operator before you hang up.....Should be about 300-450 pesos....

HB:D:D

PS: I just checked and it's RD$300. You should pay the RD$10 parking fee to get into the airport and perhaps a tip at that hour of the morning.
The good thing about being at the Colonial or the Aloha Sol (more expensive x 3) is that they are known to the taxi companies as "safe" places to pick up passengers in the wee hours of the a.m.:D:D:D:D:p:p:p

Hey, I want to thank y'all for your sage advice. I think we're all set. I'll post again when we return from the DR... Papi