Direct TV

BigDaddy

Jan 16, 2005
I have a 6 foot dish for satellite television, but now the guy I'm talking to here about getting Direct TV is telling me it's 7,000 pesos for 6 months or 12,000 pesos for one year for the card to connect up for each television!!! (Plus installation fees, of course.) That seems extremely expensive for what I understand is basically "pirated" services. Those of you who are getting Direct TV, is this what you pay? I don't have any U.S. account with Direct TV or DISH since I had switched to Cable in the States and have no way to establish one, either, at this juncture. What about DISH? Is it any cheaper? If anyone has a name and number of someone to contact on the North Coast, it would be appreciated. Thanks for your help.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Those prices are correct and exactly what I pay for all channels. Its not pirated anymore, its actually paid subscription but it still needs to be done via a US Address which your guy probably has a contact for already.

Pirating went out about 1.5 years ago when they changed the cards which can't be cracked. You can talk to Leo at 772-8251 in POP he does my service. He doesnt charge much for installation. You have receivers for each TV I assume right?

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
BigDaddy said:
I have a 6 foot dish for satellite television, but now the guy I'm talking to here about getting Direct TV is telling me it's 7,000 pesos for 6 months or 12,000 pesos for one year for the card to connect up for each television!!! (Plus installation fees, of course.) That seems extremely expensive for what I understand is basically "pirated" services. Those of you who are getting Direct TV, is this what you pay? I don't have any U.S. account with Direct TV or DISH since I had switched to Cable in the States and have no way to establish one, either, at this juncture. What about DISH? Is it any cheaper? If anyone has a name and number of someone to contact on the North Coast, it would be appreciated. Thanks for your help.
The going rate is US$50.00 month. Usually 3 months in advance + $100.00 for the card. It's not much more than you would pay in the USA for the same services Sports Packages, movies etc. (Maybe even a little cheaper). As for Dish, people have been using a FTA unit which is a lot cheaper but no one know how long it will last. PM me if you need more info.

BigDaddy

Jan 16, 2005
Receivers

Conchman said:
Those prices are correct and exactly what I pay for all channels. Its not pirated anymore, its actually paid subscription but it still needs to be done via a US Address which your guy probably has a contact for already.

Pirating went out about 1.5 years ago when they changed the cards which can't be cracked. You can talk to Leo at 772-8251 in POP he does my service. He doesnt charge much for installation. You have receivers for each TV I assume right?

Yep--the receivers I have. I just was stunned that the price would be $70 per month. Can you get PPV and/or the TIVO type service for those prices? (I realize I'd still have to pay for each PPV selection.)

fortywater

May 4, 2005
Basically what the people selling you the service every month are doing is getting one subscription with everything on it and then getting like 4-5 other boxes on the same account. The package with everything, the Premier package is like $95/Mo and I think that each additional box is like $5, so they're paying like $22 a month and everything above that is profit. I've heard good things about FTA, but of course nobody knows how long it will last. The FTA boxes aren't that expensive, so if you get a few months use out of them then they'll be worth the cost. Also, DTV doesn't want to hook up used cards or boxes, but if you find the right rep they'll hook you up. Oh, and since the DTV isn't pirated you won't get PPV's for free like before.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
What I do with my guy is give him $100 down on each receiver and every time I want to watch something PPV, I call him and he calls the guy in the US to turn it on a couple minutes later. Once the $100 runs out I give him another $100 and it just counts down from the account.

sunshine_79

I made the 300,000th post!
Jun 1, 2005
BigDaddy said:

I doubt I'll be able to afford Direct Tv for awhile - can I come and watch my Atlanta Braves play at your house? :)

Adam Spenser

Nov 29, 2002
For some reason I usually have the last word on most threads I have an iterest in. I have had Direct TV legitimately for many years. I own 3 Direct TV receivers, which I purchased in the US for $49.95 each. I pay for most channels not all $89.95 a month plus $4.99 each for 2 extra receivers. I do not have to be involved in the nonsence experienced over the years by those who want to illegally get Direct TV.
Adam S.

Jerry K

Jan 1, 2002
Too legit to quit

I'm in the same boat you are, I have Dish net on the north coast, two receivers $45. a month billed in the states. Also have the cable for movies since a fair amount on HBO or Cinemax are in English w/spanish sub titles.

BigDaddy

Jan 16, 2005
Did you

Adam Spenser said:
For some reason I usually have the last word on most threads I have an iterest in. I have had Direct TV legitimately for many years. I own 3 Direct TV receivers, which I purchased in the US for $49.95 each. I pay for most channels not all $89.95 a month plus $4.99 each for 2 extra receivers. I do not have to be involved in the nonsence experienced over the years by those who want to illegally get Direct TV.
Adam S.

establish your account in the states or in the D.R.? I ask only because I sent an e-mail inquiry to DirecTv initially and received a reply that they do not sell to subscribers outside the U.S. b/c it's illegal.

Jerry K

Jan 1, 2002
Direct Tv

If you're legal (kind of) you've got to subscribe in the states with a supposed location in the states. I've seen a situation where somebody subscribed, had the free installation then brought the authorized receiver down here.