"Romantic" restaurant on North Coast

MKC

Mar 1, 2005
My husband and I are going to be in town for our 6 year anniversary. Can anyone recommend a nice restaurant - not outrageously expensive but with ambiance... perhaps something with more Dominican flare (i.e. not an Italian restaurant I could go to here in the states... Also, tell me if they need reservations, and if they might speak English...

gracias!

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Something very special is Natura Cabana, located between Sosua and Cabarete. If you search here in this section there was a discussion only a day ago about that hidden pearl..
Otherwise, please be more specific where on the North Coast and I am sure you will get many ideas from the fellow members here of DR1. ;)

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
carina said:
Something very special is Natura Cabana, located between Sosua and Cabarete. If you search here in this section there was a discussion only a day ago about that hidden pearl..
Otherwise, please be more specific where on the North Coast and I am sure you will get many ideas from the fellow members here of DR1. ;)
I ate there 2x. The food was ok. Problem is that they price in Dollars on menu bill you in pesos at a terrible rate.

I guess I have a problem with places that do business in that manner. Bad Carma.

Escott

Josephs Grill and Grape is my favorite restaurant in Sosua/Cabarete. Puerto Plata isn't even on the RADAR!

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Agree about the pricing Escott, I was more thinkin of the surrounding, that is really nice..

As for Puerto Plata, where I live, sorry... no special restaurants here... :tired:

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
carina said:
Agree about the pricing Escott, I was more thinkin of the surrounding, that is really nice..

As for Puerto Plata, where I live, sorry... no special restaurants here... :tired:
Josephs Grill and Grape is situated on the cliffs overlooking the Bay of Sosua, POP Airport and Puerto Plata. Very romantic spot if you are into Romantic and real nice food of high quailty, great service and last time there a wine list without years (still disappointing)

This is probably the only medium priced restaurant I would go to on the North Coast at the moment beside a typical Dominican restaurant, a Rockys or a La Roca type place. Other that these I only eat for convienence and neccessity.

Maybe we can get a group there one night for dinner. Price is 30-40 US dollars a person all inclusive except alcohol. Very reasonable for the quality. Bring US dollars here for the best payment method for your pocketbook.

How about the 18th of June which is a Saturday night? Anyone into a smaller group gathering there?

paddy

Silver
Oct 4, 2003
make your own romantic restaurant...find a beautiful beach....bring a few nice things from home to sort of set up your "restaurant"... and be a little creative.i spent a romantic afternoon..table set up on the beach..in playa grande..just drive onto the beach..tell one of the guys just what your pleasure will be..pick your spot..they'll set up a table..fresh seafood..bottle of wine.. have a happy anniversary no matter where you are...as long as your together.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Good idea!

I?ve done that in Bergantine, that is located a 20 min walk by the beach from Playa Dorada or 10 min bar car.
It is a genuine fishermans village, and on weekdays the beach is almost empty. It is an undestroyed beach, and the restaurants by the beach will set your table out on the beach where ever you want it.. freshly grilled chicken or fish, wine & beer, fresh fruit... a moon or a sun depending on your choice of time.. a few local fishingboats in the ocean...
Make an agreement with a driver to take you & pick you up.

Good luck!

MKC

Mar 1, 2005
Gracias

Thanks for the ideas :) We are staying in Casa Linda (though with all the talk from a few of you - maybe that wasn't the best idea?!), so I was looking for anything around that general area - Puerta Plata, Sosua, Cabarete - pretty flexible...

The beach idea sounds great - though making a deal with the driver to pick up and drop of... hahaha - that could be interesting with my Spanish skills! Actually, I think the whole trip is gong to be quite interesting in that respect ;)

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
That is not a problem! The drivers around your hotel knows enough English to organize that. Also the hotel staff can help you! ;)

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
MKC said:
Thanks for the ideas :) We are staying in Casa Linda (though with all the talk from a few of you - maybe that wasn't the best idea?!), so I was looking for anything around that general area - Puerta Plata, Sosua, Cabarete - pretty flexible...

The beach idea sounds great - though making a deal with the driver to pick up and drop of... hahaha - that could be interesting with my Spanish skills! Actually, I think the whole trip is gong to be quite interesting in that respect ;)
Casa Linda are villas about 5 minutes from Sosua by car. Not a very convienent place without a car. Hook up with an English speaking driver in Sosua and get his cell phone number. I hope your villa has a phone btw otherwise you are really screwed. You are about 3/4ths of a mile up from the hwy and a nasty walk if it 90 degrees like it is now especially if you are dressed for dinner and all buffed and fluffed.

Plenty of them speak enough English. Just latch onto one that speaks it well.

Escott

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
JDJones said:
Puerto Plata doesn't have any? What about the Lobster House, way up on the hill above Cofresi? Don't tell me that's closed.
I love that place.
You can stick me in a corner at Chris and Mandy's with a candle on the table and I'll be pretty happy there, too.

You can relax.. its all there.. ;) I was referring to the city Puerto Plata...
Not much here... :tired:

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
JDJones said:
Puerto Plata doesn't have any? What about the Lobster House, way up on the hill above Cofresi? Don't tell me that's closed.
I love that place.
You can stick me in a corner at Chris and Mandy's with a candle on the table and I'll be pretty happy there, too.

Hi! Chris & Maddy's is ok if you don't mind very slow service. The food is better than 'average'. We go there occasionally. The Lobster House above Cofraci is a No No as service is bad and the food is worse as is the price. Went twice (second time to give them a chance to change). Will never go there again. Heard it had closed, but not verified. Canadian Bob.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
JDJones said:
I love that place.
JD, next time you are in Sosua go to Josephs. This place is heads and tails above the two places you mention and have eaten at both.

Escott

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
The 18th....

I'm in Escott. Would love to try Joseph's restaurant. I've heard a lot about it...

I second the restaurant at Pearla! The food was very good, wonderful ambiance and the prices were not toooooo crazy. Don't know about the exchange rate though as I didn't actually pay the bill.......LOL