"Gordo",an insult or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRgirlatheart

Sep 20, 2003
Hi!

Please don't be too hard on me for this one.

Is it an insult for a Dominican to call someone a "Gordo" or "Gorda". I know that it normally refers to someone of larger size, but is it an affectionate nickname, or an insult, plain and simple?

Thanks for your input.

Regards.

DRgirlatheart

Sep 20, 2003
Thanks!

I thought so, just wanted to make sure I was right before I totally flew off the handle and told this person where to go.

Regards.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Escott said:
I am not so sure if it is really an insult or a description of how someone looks. They equate size with wealth in the DR. If you are skinny they think you can't afford to eat.

It is not the nicest thing to say to someone, but people use this without having in mind to insult someone.
As when they don?t know a name of a person, let?s say in the colmado or simular, the use "hey, morena", "hey, gordo" , etc.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Take it easy

It all depends on how it is used.

"Mi gordo", might be a term of affection.
"Gordo e mierda!" is an insult.

"Estas muy gorda, muchacha" might be a remark to wake you up that you are gaining weight.

" 'ta gordita" might be that you have abundant curves..

Also the tone of voice and the facial expressions count a lot..

Weigh the situation and check it out.

HB :D:D (61 lbs lighter than this time last year BTW!!:p:p)

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Hillbilly said:
It all depends on how it is used.
"Gordo e mierda!" is an insult.

Even that may not necessarily be an insult if used amongst friends. As you know in between friends is pretty common to say things like "ven aca gordo ei diablo" or "Este prieto dei diablo si priva" which are not insults at all, but actually terms of affection. I would dare say that if someone called this guy gordo it was most likely in a good way...

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Insult or not

you're still fat. I for one would rather be with Senorita Flaca than Senorita Gorda. To each his own.

JOHN

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I agree with those who say it depends on how the term is used.

Dominicans are quick to decide on apodos (nicknames) for others. And if the person in question has some characteristic that makes him stand out from the rest, the apodo is likely to based on that. Thus is would not be that uncommon for a fat male to be known as gordo, or for people talking about a fat girl to refer to her as la gorda.

I have a Dominican friend in Samana who is a deaf mute and who has been known for as long as I've known him as "mudo", meaning mute.

Btw, congratulations, hillbilly, on the weight loss. We can now refer to you as el flaco.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
It is a statement of fact, and a term of endearment at the same time. Mr Chiri calls one of his sisters 'gorda' - and she takes it as such.

Very very occasionally it might be said ironically when the person is no such thing, but maybe that's my denial showing through. ;)

YaniKK

Jun 5, 2005
DRgirlatheart said:
Hi!

Please don't be too hard on me for this one.

Is it an insult for a Dominican to call someone a "Gordo" or "Gorda". I know that it normally refers to someone of larger size, but is it an affectionate nickname, or an insult, plain and simple?

Thanks for your input.

Regards.

It depends where it is used too. I lived in NY for a while and I used to hear the term "gordo" thrown around to refer to someone who has money. ie: "Ese tipo esta Gordo". Usually the younger crowd used this. Of course we Dominicans come up with different ways to describe things every minute.

A bunch of times I hear this term used as a nickname for a loved one.

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
Gordo

Having the name Gordon, I have aquired the nickname of Gordo in the states. In the DR they call me Gordon, I think they are afraid they will insult me, however, being slightly overweight, I have no problem with Gordo, in the Dr it means FAT.........

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
I see everyone else ignored this comment ....

johne said:
you're still fat. I for one would rather be with Senorita Flaca than Senorita Gorda. To each his own.

JOHN

But, I'd like to give you my two cents regarding your comment. Be I fat or be I thin I would not like to be seen with you as your view IMO is shallow.

Stay well,
Amy

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
A fellow I dated last year would call me gordita.... I was taking offense to it !!! I was an american size 4!!! I learned that it wasn't meant as an insult, he liked my curves......

So, I agree with all the other posters who say it depends on how it is used!!! It is not necessarily an insult - sometimes it is just a statement of fact.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
I asked my Dominican born wife (from Arroyo Salado de Ban?) if on her way to the Colmado down the road to get the daily groceries, she takes offense at being called 'flaca' (she's actually very slim and tall). She said not at all. However, she said she would take offense at being called 'gorda', because as she said: 'yo no soy gorda'.

mofi

Feb 9, 2005
I don't think I would take to much offense to gordo or gorda. In the group i hang out with if they were throwing insults they would say Puerco. Normally when we say gorda or gordo, as mentioned previously, its to describe someone that you can't remember the name of.

Status
Not open for further replies.