Punta Cana...

Dolphingirl

Jun 5, 2005
Good evening everyone! :) This is my first post here :) I just register. I'm going on vacation to Punta Cana in two weeks :) I'm sooo excited!!! I was wondering if any of you can give me any tips or info on what to expect while I'm there. I'm so excited but a little nervous at the same time.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Two tips for here anyway;

Less happy faces
Less (no) purple huge text.

Everything gets read.

When you go next time try to be a tourist (vs. a gringa on a vacation, the destination for which is immaterial) and stay in a non all-inclusive hotel. You have no need to be nervous as you will experience about zero of real DR culture as you will hang out with a bunch of other non Dominicans, eat in a cafeteria and endure a bunch of hokey, fake entertainment.

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
Puntacana

Soooooooooooooo TRUE, OR YOU COULD GO TO THE NORTH COAST,NON DOMINICAN AND HANG OUT WITH ALL THE PROSTITUTES AND EXPATS........[HOW DO THET SAY ? IF YOU DON"T HAVE SOMETHING GOOD TO SAY, DON'T SAY IT AT ALL................QUOTE=ricktoronto]Two tips for here anyway;

Less happy faces
Less (no) purple huge text.

Everything gets read.

When you go next time try to be a tourist (vs. a gringa on a vacation, the destination for which is immaterial) and stay in a non all-inclusive hotel. You have no need to be nervous as you will experience about zero of real DR culture as you will hang out with a bunch of other non Dominicans, eat in a cafeteria and endure a bunch of hokey, fake entertainment.[/QUOTE]

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
Punta Cana

Where are you staying ? It is a big area covering a good part of the east coast. You will have no problem, If you are staying at a AI everything will be taken care of. If you need anything at the resort, just ask, usually they are accomodating in every aspect. I have traveled most of the country over the past several years, I like PUJ it is a good R&R place to be, oh and if you want to see some real dominicans, real poverty,and authenticity like Rick from Toronto suggested you can take a forty-five bus ride to Higuey....ENJOY !!

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
ggn420 said:
Soooooooooooooo TRUE, OR YOU COULD GO TO THE NORTH COAST,NON DOMINICAN AND HANG OUT WITH ALL THE PROSTITUTES AND EXPATS........[HOW DO THET SAY ? IF YOU DON"T HAVE SOMETHING GOOD TO SAY, DON'T SAY IT AT ALL...............

Nice job of quoting, there, you almost know how to press a button, almost.

You don't have to hang out with prostitutes and expats unless you want to say outside AI's (with the sankies and the native, natural, truly authentic "chocolate friends") everyone and everywhere else in the DR are hookers and con artists

But going to an AI in Punta Cana could be the same, and will be, as one in Cuba, or Mexico, any other AI mecca, so nervousness about hanging around with all your neighbors is silly.

I would recommend the capital, Boca Chica, La Romana or yes even the north shore in POP or Sosua in a small hotel near a beach for the same money and with less boredom.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Actually, the Punta Cana area is developing a residential community where there are many new places to hang out and meet locals and expats. This is happening more and more every week. There are condos for expats and housing for locals being built everywhere, thus causing the construction of many bars, restaurants, stores, etc. where such interaction happens.

Just to mention a few, the Jellyfish restaurant, The Hurricane, Mangu's, etc many little restaurants whose names I cant remember right now.

With it also come the brothels, like the huge one that just opened near the Barcelo hotels but I forgot name.

The Punta Cana today is much different than the Punta Cana 3 yrs ago. There is construction everywhere, not just hotels but mostlly residential, both tourism oriented and local.

She sounds like the type that will go out of the hotel so give her a break. Maybe she will file a trip report when she gets back to tell us where she went and what type of people she met outside the resort.

jackquontee

May 20, 2005
Depends

Dolphingirl, it all depends on what you're going to Punta Cana for. I first started going about 18 months ago as I have a vacation package and it was one of only 2 places available to me in the DR where I could vacation. If all you're looking for is to go to the DR, vacation, and rest and relax, it is not a bad place to go. When I was there last August, I went riding on all terrain vehicles in the back country and the beaches (first time), I went riding jet boats and snorkeling (first time), hit a couple of the clubs (Mangu's and Arieto's), took a helicopter ride over to Santo Domingo, and actually had a great time. For one of the very first times I did the tourist thing instead of spending my whole trip in the bars and clubs. I've stayed in both the Bavaro Princess and Bahia Principe, both of which were pleasant. However, most people who go to PC appear to do so for the purpose of staying at the resorts full time and hanging at the pools and beaches, and being satisfied with whatever entertainment is available in the resorts.

There is a little town center, though I did not go there much with the exception of a nice, though expensive, restaurant called Capitan Cooks. It is not a city, but maybe a small town with a seperate resort area. So, if your expecting a party place like Cancun or some of the other larger resort/vacation destinations, you will be disappointed. If you're looking for rest and relaxation, with a little fun, it's fine.

I am returning to PC from June 25-July 2 and intend to get around the immediate area some more to see what else is available outside of what I have already experienced.

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
Stick With Punta Cana

It's a FIRST vacation to the DR with her FAMILY......I don't think she needs the exposure to the filth and prostitution which is pretty much everywhere but the resorts. Excuse her for not running with the dogs in the hard core areas, ya you're right, if she didn;t want to deal with the prostitution up north she could go for the child prostitution in Boca Chica. I think she will do fine in Punta Cana, alot of new development and many new things to do. It's too bad that the smartie pants that are not even from the country seem to know the most about it. Rick probably can't afford Punta Cana or Toronto for that matter.............................Enjoy your trip and remember, that no matter what country you visit there are always idiots, just like at home.
ricktoronto said:
Nice job of quoting, there, you almost know how to press a button, almost.

You don't have to hang out with prostitutes and expats unless you want to say outside AI's (with the sankies and the native, natural, truly authentic "chocolate friends") everyone and everywhere else in the DR are hookers and con artists

But going to an AI in Punta Cana could be the same, and will be, as one in Cuba, or Mexico, any other AI mecca, so nervousness about hanging around with all your neighbors is silly.

I would recommend the capital, Boca Chica, La Romana or yes even the north shore in POP or Sosua in a small hotel near a beach for the same money and with less boredom.

paddy

Silver
Oct 4, 2003
does the filth...poverty...and prostitution tour leave on a separate bus from from the resorts or do i have to book it in toronto before i leave with my family on vacation?? one more thing...if we take that tour from toronto..will that in anyway interfere with our chances to enjoy the beautifil beaches,palm trees,and crystal clear water that lure millions of tourists to that beautiful island that everyone calls..dr??

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
Punta Cana

[The little town you were refering to is Cortecito. This is where you ate at Captain Cooks....Right next door is the Cortecito Inn which has basically the same menu at a cheeper price. This little town is just north of the Bavaro area and was left to "the people" when all the AI developement started in the 70's. Nice of them to leave the people something. The actual town of Punta Cana is south more towards Juanillo and does not have much to offer. The Punta Cana hotels and AI's are really in the town of Cabezza de toro. The term Punta Cana refers to an area that runs south from Punta Macao to Juanillo. If you get off the resort property and explore, there is much to see, with the new road and area construction or reconstruction, it is getting easier for the tourist to get out to other areas. Punta Cana has changed for the good over the years and still remains one of the best value AI vacations you can get in the caribbean. I can stay at the hotel I stay at AI for less money than it takes to live moderatly in the country, or at home in the states !! It's a good place to start if you are interested in seeing the rest of thr country, I use it as a home base and keep my room while I travel to other parts, it's cheep flying via Air SantoDomingo or Domca. GO OUT AND EXPLORE.........QUOTE=jackquontee]Dolphingirl, it all depends on what you're going to Punta Cana for. I first started going about 18 months ago as I have a vacation package and it was one of only 2 places available to me in the DR where I could vacation. If all you're looking for is to go to the DR, vacation, and rest and relax, it is not a bad place to go. When I was there last August, I went riding on all terrain vehicles in the back country and the beaches (first time), I went riding jet boats and snorkeling (first time), hit a couple of the clubs (Mangu's and Arieto's), took a helicopter ride over to Santo Domingo, and actually had a great time. For one of the very first times I did the tourist thing instead of spending my whole trip in the bars and clubs. I've stayed in both the Bavaro Princess and Bahia Principe, both of which were pleasant. However, most people who go to PC appear to do so for the purpose of staying at the resorts full time and hanging at the pools and beaches, and being satisfied with whatever entertainment is available in the resorts.

There is a little town center, though I did not go there much with the exception of a nice, though expensive, restaurant called Capitan Cooks. It is not a city, but maybe a small town with a seperate resort area. So, if your expecting a party place like Cancun or some of the other larger resort/vacation destinations, you will be disappointed. If you're looking for rest and relaxation, with a little fun, it's fine.

I am returning to PC from June 25-July 2 and intend to get around the immediate area some more to see what else is available outside of what I have already experienced.[/QUOTE]

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
First of all if you want to quote just hit reply from inside the message you are trying to quote. You seem very technologically impaired.

"I just keep cashing in on the stock that split several years ago and live the good life in the DR. "

It seemed from this quote of yours that you lived in the DR but I guess you just visit on occassion.

You should get to other parts of the country. It is a very beautiful place and much more to see than PC which was built solely with the tourist in mind.

Escott

jackquontee

May 20, 2005
Thanks

ggn420, thanks for the clarification. I re-read my post and realized that I should have been more clearer in my comments. I did state that "There is a little town center, though I did not go there much with the exception of a nice, though expensive, restaurant called Capitan Cooks. It is not a city, but maybe a small town with a seperate resort area." This gives the impression that I was referring to the town center as being considered PC when, as you pointed out, it is actually referred to as Cortecito. I was trying to point out that there existed a town center not far from the resort area, and note that it was seperate and apart from the resort area. Again, thanks.

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
Stock ??

[I would like some of what you're smoking, you don't have much of a memory, do you ? You just asked me the other day where I live. I told you that I have a place in Otra Banda I live in four months a year, and yes I have traveled all over the country in the past 7 or 8 years, so I have seen it all, thats why I replied to Dolphin rea her trip to Punta Cana. Read the previous threads Escott instead of being so negative and narrow minded. Ya the stock money is good, bought me a little place in OB. Can't complain, the tobacco business is very profitable, oh Escott (that is your real name isn't it ?) the sankie pankie or bankie panie thing....that is just a joke....isn't it ? Te he heeQUOTE=Escott]First of all if you want to quote just hit reply from inside the message you are trying to quote. You seem very technologically impaired.

"I just keep cashing in on the stock that split several years ago and live the good life in the DR. "

It seemed from this quote of yours that you lived in the DR but I guess you just visit on occassion.

You should get to other parts of the country. It is a very beautiful place and much more to see than PC which was built solely with the tourist in mind.

Escott[/QUOTE]

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
Cortecito

No problem Jack, I thought that might be what you were refering to....It's a complex area, they also have a shopping plaza of sorts, this is Bavaro the town, opposed to the resort complex. Sometimes it's hard to keep focused on what the origin of the thread was when others are replying here about a thread started on cell phones. I just want some of what he's smoking, or is he jokeing ??
jackquontee said:
ggn420, thanks for the clarification. I re-read my post and realized that I should have been more clearer in my comments. I did state that "There is a little town center, though I did not go there much with the exception of a nice, though expensive, restaurant called Capitan Cooks. It is not a city, but maybe a small town with a seperate resort area." This gives the impression that I was referring to the town center as being considered PC when, as you pointed out, it is actually referred to as Cortecito. I was trying to point out that there existed a town center not far from the resort area, and note that it was seperate and apart from the resort area. Again, thanks.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Puna Cana is a very beautiful, relaxed place. You?ve got miles of beautiful beaches and although it?s quite isolated from the rest of the island, there?s a bit of everything you can do. In the Punta Cana area, you?ve got Plaza Bolera with a bowling alley, pool tables, Mascara bar and varios restaurants. In the Bavaro area, you?ve got some of the best restaurants on the east end of the island like the two already mentioned, Jellyfish and Capitan Cooks, as well as a nice shopping mall. At the hotel you should have a wide variety of excursions you can do from snorkeling to horseback riding to helicopter rides.

If you tell us what hotel you?re staying at, we can give you more information.

Enjoy!

Dolphingirl

Jun 5, 2005
First, Sorry, but I didn't read any rules about not using colors, size and smilies on this boards. Are not they there to be use?
Second, thanks for those of you who reply to my message knowing really what you are talking about.

Now to what I'm here for ;) I will be staying at one of the Bavaro Beach hotels. It says everything is included. What is exactly everything? Does it include the snorkling and all that? What about prices? is it expensive? I want to get a massage there and I know it's not included but I want to arrange my budget. What about gratuity?
I'll be there for a week so I'm sure I will want to go out of the area as well. My uncle married a Dominican and they live there so I don't think I will have any troubles getting to places I want to go. Is there any club or dancing place that allows 13yo in? I really want to learn how to dance bachata and I want to bring my younger sister along.
Thanks again for all the info.

May 12, 2005
Dolphingirl said:
First, Sorry, but I didn't read any rules about not using colors, size and smilies on this boards. Are not they there to be use?
Second, thanks for those of you who reply to my message knowing really what you are talking about.

Now to what I'm here for ;) I will be staying at one of the Bavaro Beach hotels. It says everything is included. What is exactly everything? Does it include the snorkling and all that? What about prices? is it expensive? I want to get a massage there and I know it's not included but I want to arrange my budget. What about gratuity?
I'll be there for a week so I'm sure I will want to go out of the area as well. My uncle married a Dominican and they live there so I don't think I will have any troubles getting to places I want to go. Is there any club or dancing place that allows 13yo in? I really want to learn how to dance bachata and I want to bring my younger sister along.

I can say with a fair amount of certainty that any water activities will be extra, and the cost will vary by location, but everything can be haggled for a better deal. AS far as i know a 13 year old will have trouble getting into most clubs, as the drinking age is 18, but the resort should have bachata lessons as one of the activities

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Dolphingirl said:

Is there any club or dancing place that allows 13yo in? I really want to learn how to dance bachata and I want to bring my younger sister along.

Read some of the other 500,000 posts and count the cutesy colors and smiley faces.

I would advise against a 13 year old which they probably won't allow in anyway, in clubs in the DR unless you are glued at the hip. the resort may have fun dance classes a little less intense than the disco and clubs.