club attire

dlc1914

May 31, 2005
Flying into SD in a couple of days for a long weekend. What's the club attire like. We don't want to overpack or stick out like a sore thumb. Thanks.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Depending on how old you are, but generally Dominicans tend to dress nice and don't normally wear shorts and the like when going out clubbing. Dress nice with nice jeans and shirt and nice shoes or slacks and nice shirt and again nice clean newer shoes. Pleas DO NOT wear those hawaiian tourist shirts with shorts and sandals unless you want to stick out like a sore thumb, which you said you're trying to avoid. This is probably the biggest mistake tourists make when visiting The DR. For some reason they think that since it's hot most people go around wearing shorts when in fact Dominicans tend to dress up a lot more than people do here in The US, for instance. A lot of places won't even let you in if you are wearing shorts.

May 12, 2005
Definitely dress well. I always wear a nice shirt with slacks and good shoes and I fit in fine. When in doubt, dress to impress my friend.

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
Ditto! and I'll add that it is best to wear slacks instead of jeans (if possible). In my opinion, slacks and shirt is the preferred attire. A sport jacket and pleated slacks is certainly well received here. Nice clean shoes are very important! ....LOL... make sure you get those shoes shined by a local shoe shine boy. Enjoy your stay and have plenty of fun.

NotLurking

dlc1914

May 31, 2005
Escott said:
Long sleeve shirt and slacks is what I wear at night.
I'll pass on the long sleeve shirt given the weather conditions, but wil follow the other advice. Flight's in 4 hours. can't wait to get there.