travel documenets needed for minor

Rheta

Jun 5, 2005
My sixteen year old daughter is traveling to the DR this summer with another family. She does have a passport. I understand she also needs a notarized letter from us(her parents) giving our permission to travel with another family outside the United States. I've been given conflicting feedback about whether or not she needs two letters, one in spanish and one in english. Or if just one will suffice in english or spanish. Thank you in advance for your help.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Search the posts. Over 13 years she doesn't need the letter at all, or parents or anyone for that matter.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
ricktoronto said:
Search the posts. Over 13 years she doesn't need the letter at all, or parents or anyone for that matter.

Nope, that has changed. Now any child under 18 traveling without both parents needs a notarized letter. From past experience, the airline will accept one without the consulate seal, though, although the requirement is for the consulate to certify it. Call your airline and ask what is their policy.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Rheta said:
But does that letter need to be in spanish?

My personal experience is that it doesn't. My sister once sent her daughters to me and didn't know about the letter but was able to get a notary public at the Dallas airport (from where her daughters were departing) to make one up in English and that was enough.