Would DR be a good vacation spot for me? If not, where would be?

dnc1972

Jun 7, 2005
profiles.yahoo.com
First who I am;
33 year old attractive black male, educated, professionally employed, single and enjoys mingling with people.

I?ve been considering DR as a potential vacation spot for some time. I?m absolutely in love with the appearance of DR women! However, after doing an internet search titled ?best vacation spots for African Americans,? I found this forum and after reading some of the posts, I?m wondering if I should go. Maybe I wanted to go for all the wrong reasons! I was thinking that the DR would be a welcoming spot for a single professional black man who could potentially meet a DR woman while there, not that would my primary reason for going, but most single men traveling alone would be open to the possibility. What I?ve gathered from some posts I?ve read is that, unless you?re on a resort, you as an AA will not be treated respectfully, if for no other reason that I?m a black American! Am I viewing this wrong?

I would really like to visit the part of DR where black people are and or a part that is welcoming to African-Americans, particularly a part where the women are receptive to African-American men. Is my thinking distorted? Are my hopes empty? Your honest answers and suggestions would be appreciated, the last thing I want to do is visit a place where I won?t be welcomed and will not enjoy myself. If DR is not the place, what Caribbean destination would I find such fulfillment? Other places I?ve considered were Puerto Rico and Brazil.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
If you are polite, and well dressed , courteous, and speak Spanish well, you would not have a hard time "average" meeting DR women, and in this case I am excluding "working girls" who you can meet based only on how much money you want to spend.

Note the aformentioned critera works where you live as well (and everywhere else on Earth) so how come you can't find girls there?

If you cannot speak the language (and in Brazil that means Portuguese) then you won't be much of a catch, the same as if you were in NYC, couldn't speak English and tried to chat up English speaking girls. It would be incredibly boring for you both if neither could talk to the other.

If you come down with a 400 pound ghetto blaster played at full volume, and get drunk all day and make a racket in and out of the hotels, and call women bitches etc., like a dreadful # of tourists do (especially in Boca Chica) you won't be welcome by anyone regardless of your colour.

Please note I am not trying to stereotype anyone, you included, but if you are a gentelman , whether you are black , white, brown or green for that matter you will do fine. A-holes of any colour are a-holes and I sure see a lot on vacation in the DR.

The language though that is critical. And frequently missing as a characteristic.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Don't Worry

dnc1972 said:
First who I am;
33 year old attractive black male, educated, professionally employed, single and enjoys mingling with people.

I?ve been considering DR as a potential vacation spot for some time. I?m absolutely in love with the appearance of DR women! However, after doing an internet search titled ?best vacation spots for African Americans,? I found this forum and after reading some of the posts, I?m wondering if I should go. Maybe I wanted to go for all the wrong reasons! I was thinking that the DR would be a welcoming spot for a single professional black man who could potentially meet a DR woman while there, not that would my primary reason for going, but most single men traveling alone would be open to the possibility. What I?ve gathered from some posts I?ve read is that, unless you?re on a resort, you as an AA will not be treated respectfully, if for no other reason that I?m a black American! Am I viewing this wrong?

I would really like to visit the part of DR where black people are and or a part that is welcoming to African-Americans, particularly a part where the women are receptive to African-American men. Is my thinking distorted? Are my hopes empty? Your honest answers and suggestions would be appreciated, the last thing I want to do is visit a place where I won?t be welcomed and will not enjoy myself. If DR is not the place, what Caribbean destination would I find such fulfillment? Other places I?ve considered were Puerto Rico and Brazil.
The DR is beautiful and so is its people, they are warm and receptive, you should not have any problem with the people there, even in so-called "Lighter regions in the DR", if you are courteous and respectful, the prettiest girls would allow you to buy them drinks all night :laugh: Learn spanish, dress stylish, but neat, learn how to compliment in spanish, smile and you will have a ball, trust me.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
ricktoronto said:
Please note I am not trying to stereotype anyone, you included, but if you are a gentelman , whether you are black , white, brown or green for that matter you will do fine. A-holes of any colour are a-holes and I sure see a lot on vacation in the DR.
hahaha, who else would carry a 400 pound ghetto blaster with a big chain around his neck, pants off his a**, who love to call his women b*tches. :laugh: :laugh:

dnc1972

Jun 7, 2005
profiles.yahoo.com
My Thoughts So Far

Thanks Ricardo900 and ricktoronto for your replies. There are stereotypes in every ethnic group and unfortunately many, more than a few, fit it. So I?m not at all offended and don?t take it personal, I?m well aware that I am a minority within a minority and that makes me a rare commodity and I cherish that. It?s not that I ?can?t? attach myself to woman where I live (Washington, DC aka Chocolate City), but we all have our preference or at least a perception of what we think we might like based on our infatuations, at the least. As for me, I need to find out if my attraction to black (medium to darker complexion) Latin women is just that, an infatuation rather than an sincere interest. I mean, I?m very intrigued by the Latin culture and the women, but my challenge would the barrier of language and I realize how important communication in any facet and or setting is!

Shivery is not dead with me, I was raised to treat a woman mannerly and will always do so to a woman of any ethnicity. However, I welcome more comments and suggestions. If I am interested in meeting a DR of more African decent, where should I stay and or visit on the island to ensure that?

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
To my way of seeing this you will be welcome almost anywhere on this island! The key will be to get outside the resort and away from the tourist hangouts in order to meet any Dominican women who might be looking for more then a short term hook up. That is assuming you are looking for that as well.

Or, are you looking to hook up short term and get this out of your system?? Nothing wrong with either scenario!

Many women here are medium to dark! You will have no problem with that issue. And of course they are latinas... they will love a man who believes in chivalry and manners. HELL I love a man who believes in chivalry and manners...... I could get a really really good tan....

so to decide where you want to go, do some more research. What kind of activities do you enjoy? This island is quite big and very diverse. The north coast is very very different then the east or south coasts......

Good luck and come on down to paradise.....

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
dnc1972 said:
Thanks Ricardo900 and ricktoronto for your replies. There are stereotypes in every ethnic group and unfortunately many, more than a few, fit it.

You will set a new standard if you show up in Boca Chica and don't act like rules of society don't apply to you (and that applies to all races).

You did not say if you are fairly if not totally fluent in Spanish - if not you are going to regret it as will any women you try to court if they will have anything to do with you.

dnc1972

Jun 7, 2005
profiles.yahoo.com
Thanks for the Comments and Suggestions!

Thanks "Planner" for your comments and suggestions. What I would be looking to do is see the sights of the DR and establish a, what I hope to be, a permanent contact with a DR Lady. I am really interested in marrying a Latina; black men and Latin women make beautiful offspring, I've seen this first hand! I know the culture is different, so I'm open to learning it, as well as the language. I'm thinking of making the trip in November of this year. Again, I'm open to whatever as far as activities goes. So where on Island should I go and/or stay?

Oh yeah, one more thing, if any of you know of the Religion: Jehovah's Witnesses, I would be really interested in being in an area where they are. I am one of them and attending service at a Kingdom Hall while I'm there is a must! Thanks in advance everyone

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
dnc1972 said:
What I would be looking to do is see the sights of the DR and establish a, what I hope to be, a permanent contact with a DR Lady.
An Important number to remember after you meet your DR Lady
Western Union (800) 325-6000

dnc1972

Jun 7, 2005
profiles.yahoo.com
I'm Sure This Doesn't Apply To Most!

Ricardo900 said:
An Important number to remember after you meet your DR Lady
Western Union (800) 325-6000

(Laughing) That was funny! I'll keep that in mind, thanks for he advice, if you want to call it that! ;)

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I know there is a kingdom hall in Jarabacoa. Jarabacoa would be a good place for you to visit since it isn't a major tourist place, the population is a blend of black, black and white, and white Dominicans. There are plenty of pretty girls, of all shades.

dnc1972

Jun 7, 2005
profiles.yahoo.com
Bob ? many thanks on the Kingdom Hall tip, that was really helpful!!!!!!!!!!!

Dolores ? thanks for the link, I?ve bookmarked it.

Bob, if you or anyone can provide me with the phone number and/or address to a Kingdom Hall that you know of that would solve my dilemma! Many thanks, again everyone!

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
dnc1972 said:
Bob ? many thanks on the Kingdom Hall tip, that was really helpful!!!!!!!!!!!

Dolores ? thanks for the link, I?ve bookmarked it.

Bob, if you or anyone can provide me with the phone number and/or address to a Kingdom Hall that you know of that would solve my dilemma! Many thanks, again everyone!
Here's a link to the yellow pages, searching for the word Jehov?. Nothing in Jarabacoa shows up:

http://english.dr.superpages.com/li...+Temples&search=Find+It&image.x=41&image.y=17

pi?acolada

Mar 9, 2005
dnc1972 said:
Thanks "Planner" for your comments and suggestions. What I would be looking to do is see the sights of the DR and establish a, what I hope to be, a permanent contact with a DR Lady. I am really interested in marrying a Latina; black men and Latin women make beautiful offspring, I've seen this first hand! I know the culture is different, so I'm open to learning it, as well as the language. I'm thinking of making the trip in November of this year. Again, I'm open to whatever as far as activities goes. So where on Island should I go and/or stay?

Oh yeah, one more thing, if any of you know of the Religion: Jehovah's Witnesses, I would be really interested in being in an area where they are. I am one of them and attending service at a Kingdom Hall while I'm there is a must! Thanks in advance everyone

I'm pretty sure you won't have any problems to meet decent dominican girls. Regarding local kingdom halls there are several in Santo Domingo (you will find them listed in the yellow pages). I'd strongly advice you to stay in Santo Domingo in order to increse your posibilities.

carl ericson70

Nov 15, 2003
Racial aspects.

dnc1972 said:
First who I am;

I have to agree with others here, from what you've described of yourself, I don't think that you will have any problems in DR, with meeting women or whatever else. The only thing that I would warn you of is that the tourist areas are crawling with hookers. If that isn't your cup of tea, be prepared. I know plenty guys, who don't usually do that sort of thing, but got boozed up, horny and couldn't resist the advances of hookers.

I think that you being an african american, more than likely have some caucasian and/or native ancestry, which is the case with most dominicans. Hence, you may find yourself mistaken for a dominican. Despite the extensive mixing that has taken place in DR, there's still alot of people there, who could easily pass for black americans and vice-verse.

I think that it's advisable for americans(white or black) to to understand and acccept the fact that dominicans don't share our racial classification system. In the u.s., we've had the one drop rule, for centuries. In DR however, this isn't the case. (I dare say it's the reverse). So, don't be surprized to find dark brown skinned dominicans, with kinky hair, who consider themselves indians.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
dnc1972 said:
..... If I am interested in meeting a DR of more African decent, where should I stay and or visit on the island to ensure that?

Hahahha.. You should meet me! I am a Resident of the DR and an African... I am also a grandmother... I am also white... Sorry, not to denigrate your wishes, but I could not help laughing at your comment....

dnc1972

Jun 7, 2005
profiles.yahoo.com
Another Bad Example of DR Character, I'm Sure!

Chris said:
Hahahha.. You should meet me! I am a Resident of the DR and an African... I am also a grandmother... I am also white... Sorry, not to denigrate your wishes, but I could not help laughing at your comment....

Well Chris - out of respect for you as a person, thank you for your comment, we are all entitled to them. Unfortunately, you are even entitled to the snide ones! However, to be fair with those who aren't so factitious, I won't take you as an example of all others in the DR.

I just think it?s unfortunate that I am criticized for having a preference and a want!

Victor Laszlo

Bronze
Aug 24, 2004
Uh-oh

Um, dnc1972, I think you must have either misread or misinterpreted Chris' post. I've never met her, but I know from reading her posts for nearly a year now that she is neither snide nor factitious (look it up).

What she seems to be doing here is poking some rather gentle fun at your assumption that African automatically means dark-skinned (or black if you insist).

You do understand what "poking fun" means, right? If not, I fear you may be in for some tough sledding here.