Glasses

Status
Not open for further replies.

mofi

Feb 9, 2005
Ok so this sounds werid but I think this forum is getting to me. The other night I had a dream that I was at school (in spanish). This is very rare for me since I don't usually dream in spanish. Anyways the teacher was asking how do you say glasses, like eye glasses. And i responded "lentes" and then she got mad and said no "gafas".
So my question is what word does everyone here use?

gigibomb

May 31, 2005
mofi said:
Ok so this sounds werid but I think this forum is getting to me. The other night I had a dream that I was at school (in spanish). This is very rare for me since I don't usually dream in spanish. Anyways the teacher was asking how do you say glasses, like eye glasses. And i responded "lentes" and then she got mad and said no "gafas".
So my question is what word does everyone here use?

Espejuelos (spelling?)

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Both lentes and gafas are used in the DR. The one I've never heard here is 'anteojos' common in Central America. Literally - "before (in front of) eyes".

Bok

Mar 13, 2004
I was taught "lentes", were glasses which help your eyesight, from my Argentinian Spanish teacher. While "anteojos" was the "Castellano" term for the same thing.
We might have been a little drunk since we had a few beers and/or rum while studying, it made it all more fun (and easy).
Best teacher I ever had.......... Why is my Spanish so bad??????

Meanwhile a Dominican friend asked me to buy him some Oakley "gafas (del sol)" in the States a few years back.

Since then I distinguished between the two(three) like that. Still no complaints! Maybe people are just showing their patience with me.

I'm glad it was just a dream you had...............

Cheers,
Bok

ESOLteacher

Dec 14, 2004
p.s.

While working with Spanish speaking construction workers, they have told me to use:

lentes de seguridad for SAFETY GLASSES

and usually GAFAS mean more like goggles

but GAFAS can mean safety glasses as well!

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
Espejuelos and lentes for eyeglasses- and lentes de contacto for contact lenses. These are the words I use . Gafas, in Cuba, are sunglasses. Anteojos are binaculars in Cuba . Although in other countries all of those words are used for glasses, it depends on the country you are in when it comes to choosing the term that is most widely used there. It varies from one place to another.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.