Proving our relationship...even when we're married?????

cbarrin

Feb 1, 2005
Now I've heard all the horror stories of the questions they ask about the petitioner and the fiancee....but I will be married...is it just as intense...or does it look better that we're married...what should we expect as a married couple....

Also, when do we show the affidavit of support...when we go for the interview...this was unclear to me...

Nov 5, 2004
cbarrin said:
Now I've heard all the horror stories of the questions they ask about the petitioner and the fiancee....but I will be married...is it just as intense...or does it look better that we're married...what should we expect as a married couple....

Also, when do we show the affidavit of support...when we go for the interview...this was unclear to me...

It's no different, you still need proof of a realtionship. Many ppl just get married to leave the county and do not even know the person they are marrying.

You will need things like pictures, records of phone calls...etc.

What is an affidavit of support and how do you get one?

N&D

Jan 29, 2004
PeachezNcream84 said:
It's no different, you still need proof of a realtionship. Many ppl just get married to leave the county and do not even know the person they are marrying.

You will need things like pictures, records of phone calls...etc.

What is an affidavit of support and how do you get one?

an affidavit of support is a form that the petitioner(you) fills out proving that they (you) can support their (your) beneficiary( spouse). after the mutistep process of petitioning your relative (spouse) immigration evenually sends you this form to fill out. it is sent after receiving your documents and normally sometime right before they send you the application for the visa appointment.

N&D

Jan 29, 2004
cbarrin said:

the original affidavit of support is usually sent to immigrations address provided on the form. it is required that you have a copy (with all documents that comes with the affidavit) for the beneficiary so that they take it to the interview.

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
In the past, if the appointment was at the American Consulate, the packet of papers contained the affidavit of support which was backed up with a letter from the person's employer verifying that they have a job. And a statement from the bank stating how much $ is in the account(s).

Another add-on could be a bonafied job offer for the immigrant.

These things support the expectation that the immigrant will not become a burden on the American government (ie welfare).

The interview has asked typical questions about your daily life together. Does he/she eat Corn Flakes? Who does the grocery shopping? What do you wear/or not to bed? Kind of a Newlywed Game, because they will compare answers. So don't make anything up. If you don't know, say so.

The packet of papers contained everything they requested from the translated, notarized birth certificates, to the birth certificates of any children, and anything else on the list. And translations. Notarized. And often the Notary Commission was verified by the State and the Consul of the immigrant's country.

Originals with two photocopies (if you want the originals back).

Some of these things may have changed, but the basic process is the same.
Good luck.
mkohn

LatinoRican

Apr 11, 2004
I married my Dominican wife in 1986. When we went to our interview, we were separated and she was interviewed first in private. After a while, I was asked to join them. The interviewer asked my wife to remain silent and proceeded with questions like: What is her mother's name? How many brothers and sisters does she have? What side of the bed do you/she sleep on? How do you/she take her/your coffee in the morning? Who gets up first and why? When did you meet? Where...? When...? Etc... it is like a game show and it all depends on how that particular interviewer feels on that day!
Practice a lot and good luck! ;)

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
LatinoRican said:
I married my Dominican wife in 1986. When we went to our interview, we were separated and she was interviewed first in private. After a while, I was asked to join them. The interviewer asked my wife to remain silent and proceeded with questions like: What is her mother's name? How many brothers and sisters does she have? What side of the bed do you/she sleep on? How do you/she take her/your coffee in the morning? Who gets up first and why? When did you meet? Where...? When...? Etc... it is like a game show and it all depends on how that particular interviewer feels on that day!
Practice a lot and good luck! ;)

My daughter was around 9 when we went for this interview in the US. Yes, even then, they separated the family and asked questions individually, even to 9-year old children. Anyway, when we all got back together again, they shot a question at her... What is your mother's name... She looked puzzled and said, Well, I call her Mom, but other people call her Chris or sometimes my dad calls her something like obtuse...