My wife is a permanent resident!

J

jaredhobbs

Just wanted to announce that my wife just got her permanent residency yesterday! We applied in October of last year and it only took 8 months to arrive! Now we only have to wait two more years to remove the "conditional" status... (By the way, we live in Albuquerque, NM).

Jared

J

jaredhobbs

Escott said:
You need to apply for your permenant residency in 11 months or you will have to start all over again.

Escott

I don't know if you understood my post, but I was just announcing that my wife just RECIEVED her United States Permanent Residency. Since we haven't been married too long, her permanent residency has a "conditional" status placed on it, meaning that if we don't file to remove the "conditional" status exactly two years from now, she will be deported.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
May I ask what the condition is? Just interested because I've never heard of this on DR1.

Thanks

BTW congrats you must be very happy

Nov 5, 2004
jaredhobbs said:
Just wanted to announce that my wife just got her permanent residency yesterday! We applied in October of last year and it only took 8 months to arrive! Now we only have to wait two more years to remove the "conditional" status... (By the way, we live in Albuquerque, NM).

Jared
Congrats to you and your wife. It's a long stressful process.
I live in Canada, so it's a bit different, but I'm going through it right now with my husband.

My friend from England who got married 2 days before me (to my husbands cousin)..took her only 3 months to get the residency. He will be arriving in England June 20th!!!!

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
From what I understand, the conditional status is a time frame when they can take it away from her if she doesn't stay with him, for example.
mkohn
Best of luck in everything!

J

jaredhobbs

Anna Coniglio said:
May I ask what the condition is? Just interested because I've never heard of this on DR1.

Thanks

BTW congrats you must be very happy

The condition is placed on the residency if you and your spouse have been married for less than two years. (I think it's two but I'm not sure). Basically this is done to prevent people from getting married just to help someone immigrate. Two years after recieving the "conditional" permanent residency, you have to petition for a removal of the "condition". This process (so I'm told) consists of basically another interview and requires you to bring in proof that the two of you have been living together for those two years. (Babies birth certificates, bills with both names on them, etc.)

Hope that helped.

Jared

J

jaredhobbs

mkohn said:
From what I understand, the conditional status is a time frame when they can take it away from her if she doesn't stay with him, for example.
mkohn
Best of luck in everything!

Exactly.

Thanks!

Jared

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
jaredhobbs said:
I don't know if you understood my post, but I was just announcing that my wife just RECIEVED her United States Permanent Residency. Since we haven't been married too long, her permanent residency has a "conditional" status placed on it, meaning that if we don't file to remove the "conditional" status exactly two years from now, she will be deported.
Ah, thought you were talking about Dominican Residency. Sorry. After all this is a Dominican related message board!:)

Escott

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
What I find interesting is the very short time required for Dominicans to get their

permanent residency......
My son lived and worked in the states for almost 6 yrs before he married his American wife. It took 5 yrs after he married (they woudn't let him apply before that as he was on a work visa so ineligible to appy for residency) to get his permanent residency papers even working with an immigration laywer and 'facilitator'. He then has to wait another 5 yrs before he can apply for citizenship......
so 8 months is amazing IMHO!

I guess if he had been black, uneducated, not fluent in English, and anything BUT Canadian it would have been a lot faster!!

Last edited: