Brazilian airplanes

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
No money for basics, but the government is considering purchasing airplanes, as per statements from the Minister of the Armed Forces.

Anyway...

Was sent this link where it states that the purchase order dates back to 2001. I don't recall if the country actually got the 10 planes of the purchase order or what happened to them. See http://www.airforce-technology.com/projects/super_tucano/

"In August 2001, the Dominican Republic signed a contract for the supply of ten Super Tucano aircraft, to be used for pilot training, internal security, border patrol and counter-narcotics trafficking missions."

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
Dolores said:
No money for basics, but the government is considering purchasing airplanes, as per statements from the Minister of the Armed Forces.

That is not what I read in newpapers nor what DR news published yesterday! Here is the news summary as it appeared yesterday on DR1.

DR1 News said:
Armed Forces on Brazilian planes
Armed Forces Minister Sigrido Pared Perez confirmed that the government has received a proposal from Brazil for the purchase of eight Super Tucano airplanes, but he said that the actual purchase would depend on the country's priorities, as reported in El Caribe. He stated that the armed forces currently does not have interception planes that are being offered, but rather a fleet of airplanes for training, transportation and helicopters. He has not yet discussed the issue with President Leonel Fernandez. The proposal was made by Brazilian Foreign Relations Minister Celso Luiz Amorim, who met with President Fernandez, Tuesday, on his way back home from the OAS General Assembly. The Brazilians are also proposing to sell to the Dominican government a private presidential executive jet and a facility to produce ethanol.

Note the text in bold it was proposed by Brazil not solicited by DR. This makes a big difference. It is very different to go out on a mission to acquire something than to have someone offer it to you. Bottom line is you don't buy 'patanos' from every van that drives by your door selling them to you. They can offer you their merchandise but it doesn't mean you'll buy or even seriously consider the offer. Wouldn't you agree?

NotLurking

Apr 26, 2002
Yes, I remember that order. But the planes were never delivered. Perhaps congress never approved the purchase. Or perhaps the Brazilians figured out they were not going to get blood from a stone.

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
If the DR Air Force buys Anything---

They should buy Helicopters. These vehicles have proven their versitility and worth time after time. They can be employed as ground support, as search and rescue, as recon and as personnel transportation.

A fleet of 15-20 could provide timely and effective Border patrol and interdictions of drug traffic/illegal immigration. In addition they would prove to be invaluable in search and rescue during times of flooding and other types of rescue.

They would be a very good addition to the meager organic equipment inventory if used properly.

Texas Bill

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
Planes and helicopters

I believe that they should worry about more importantly education. Being a Third World country at one of the lower standards should worry about... fixing education and healthcare first.

daddy1

Feb 27, 2004
Texas Bill said:
They should buy Helicopters. These vehicles have proven their versitility and worth time after time. They can be employed as ground support, as search and rescue, as recon and as personnel transportation.

A fleet of 15-20 could provide timely and effective Border patrol and interdictions of drug traffic/illegal immigration. In addition they would prove to be invaluable in search and rescue during times of flooding and other types of rescue.

They would be a very good addition to the meager organic equipment inventory if used properly.

Texas Bill
I agree with you texas it would do some good for border patrols and saving lives at sea, but as easygoin had mentioned there are priorities at the moment that need more immediate attention like education and health care..

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Do all of you not realize it is-----

The appearances of power and modernization that count for more than the abilities of the population to cope with the future. This is the philosophy of the government. They really don't care what happens so long as the world (in their convoluted estimation) thinks they are modern and prosperous.

This philosophy is engrained in everyone and is not 'pride' but simply vanity misplaced. It is the root of most of the problems here.

As long as there is the "appearance" of Democracy they claim that they have one. As long as there is the 'appearance" of non-corruption" they deny it exists. As long as there is the 'appearance" of Justice, they insist they practice it. as long as there is the "appearance" of transparancy in government and business activities, they insist it exists. All this in the face of opposing evidence!! They simply ignore contrary evidence of any wrong-doing.

Texas Bill

Apr 26, 2002
Texas Bill said:
The appearances of power and modernization that count for more than the abilities of the population to cope with the future. This is the philosophy of the government. They really don't care what happens so long as the world (in their convoluted estimation) thinks they are modern and prosperous.

This philosophy is engrained in everyone and is not 'pride' but simply vanity misplaced. It is the root of most of the problems here.
That's one of the most succinct descriptions of Dominican mentality I've ever read. This is an illness that started with Trujillo. An example is the obsession with an underground metro rather than more practical solutions, and, of course, the old Balaguerisms of building schools without teachers or books, hospitals without medicine or doctors, bridges without maintenance budgets, etc., etc.

I also agree that, if they buy anything, it should be helicopters. I'm reminded of an incident in the early 1970s when, after a spat between Castro and Balaguer, Cuba sent MIG jets to buzz Santo Domingo. Balaguer was irate and ordered the FAD to scramble its P-51s (really, P-51s!) to shoot down the Cubans. Naturally, the general in charge of the FAD had to inform the President that none of the P-51s were servicable that day (no doubt as reported by the pilots who decided to go back to sleep and live another day).

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
Of course it is

Texas Bill said:

As long as there is the "appearance" of Democracy they claim that they have one. As long as there is the 'appearance" of non-corruption" they deny it exists. As long as there is the 'appearance" of Justice, they insist they practice it. as long as there is the "appearance" of transparancy in government and business activities, they insist it exists. All this in the face of opposing evidence!! They simply ignore contrary evidence of any wrong-doing.

Texas Bill

people like you that live in that country and know what's going on.. like so many others do need to speak up. It's never going to get better in less all of you important people in that country start priming the pump... and I wish you the best. ;)

quejeyoke

Jun 20, 2004
I'm gonna have to agree with Texas Bill on this one. The DR is the only 3rd world country I know in which the native able Dominican population has this vanity gone wild in their DNA and then turn around and compare to other people. I've seen it live, in first person view. I can't even begin to understand Y or what is the cause of this malfunction but you just don't see the same behavior in the Super Power USA's population, unless it's the HipHop crowd or some lame a.. celebrities. But the way it's been is that the DR politicians of the moment try and steal their azzes off, then, with all those mills..,relocate their fams to another country and TADA! they're saved!. Every man for themselves. The job of the Prez is to sell the country as being nothing but peaches and cream so investments come in, they look like heroes, embark on mega projects, and try to scrape their mills off to get them and their immediate fams out of the country holding a pretty penny. Ask king Hippo if it works for his fam living large in NY, or friggin Pepe Goico "schooling" in Spain. BTW, the general pushing for those propeller planes is just scheaming on comissions. Who the hell would want to fight high tech drug smugglers with propeller planes? DR generals!?..

Last edited: