Warning: Baggage theft at Puerto Plata airport

R

Ronald Heyne

We just returned from our vacation in the DR.

Back home it was easy to see that somebody has opened our suitcases and bags after we checked them in at the airport. Check-in was four hours before departure, so there was plenty of time to do this.

We are missing a flashlight, some music-CDs and music-cassettes. Small items, nothing really serious but all together a value of more than 1000 RD$.

I recommend strongly that everybody leaving the DR uses small padlocks and combination locks to secure the bags and/or not put small and valuable items in the checked baggage.

Ronald

S

Sue

Same thing happened to me about 3-4 years ago. The lock on my suitcase had been twisted off and small items were missing. I now use sturdier locks but realize that if someone is determined to get into my luggage, they will.

R

Ronald Heyne

Sue,

yes, there will not be a perfect protection, but at least it should help if your luggage is better protected than that of others and that you don?t put very valuable items in it.

Ronald

A

allan

you can get your suitcases wrapped in plastic at the airport its a bit like strong cling film and believe me you have to be very determined to get into your case after

K

Karen

I just read an article about the use of the plastic wire ties that electricians use! You can get them off by using nail clippers and they come in different colors too! You get 100 of them for about $1.00!

R

Ronald Heyne

Allan,

there is no such service as you might know from the USA, but it might be a possibility to do it like Karen suggests.

Ronald

A

allan

Ronald as you said your problem was leaving the dr that is why i suggested getting your bags wrapped both pop & sdq airports have this facility and for little money is a very good deterent you have to try this out and then when you are back home you will see what i mean when you are trying to get at your clothes

allan