The DR vs. Costa Rica

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
I have just returned from my first trip to Costa Rica. I must say that Costa Rica is one of the most beautiful countries that I have every visited. The rain forest, flora and fauna, and the beaches are spectacular and rival anything that I have experienced in the DR. HOWEVER, the Dominican Republic is a very, very special place, and after several days and hours of reflecting on the comparison between the two countries, I think I have come to understand why. It is the people of the DR. Yes, we have great discussions here about the lack of education, the corrupt government, the outrageously poor infrastructure, the endless hustling for a peso, the insane driving, all that. Nevertheless, the Dominican people are at core some of the most loving, sensual, determined, resourceful, and proud, I have had the privilege to know. Although I will alter my annual travel plans slightly, to include a week or two in the rainforests and National Parks of Costa Rica to share and commune with all of the wonderful creations there, I will always return to the DR for several weeks each year to commune with the people and to revive my spirit on the pristine beaches of the North coast. So for all of you who have suggested that you might change your vacation destination to CR, I suggest that, like it is for me, the DR is home away from home.

Nov 5, 2004
RonS said:
HOWEVER, the Dominican Republic is a very, very special place, and after several days and hours of reflecting on the comparison between the two countries, I think I have come to understand why. It is the people of the DR....Nevertheless, the Dominican people are at core some of the most loving, sensual, determined, resourceful, and proud, I have had the privilege to know.

I do not have anything overly insightful to add to your post, but I just wanted to say it was well written and I agreed 100%.

Although the DR is a beautiful country, there are many beautiful and amazing things all over the world that can deffinatly surpass the DR. But you are right, it is the ppl who MAKE the DR such a nice place to be.

I am reminded every time I return to Canada (and Canadians are by no means unfriendly) of how different, kind and amazing the ppl of the DR.

Too bad the rest of the world can't learn from the way (most) Dominicans are by nature.

May 12, 2005
I definitely have to agree. It's the people that make the DR the special place it is. Dominicans are such wondeful and warm people, they make everyone feel like the country is home, no matter where you may have traveled from.

sunnyvillas

Blocked due to spamming
Apr 29, 2003
RonS said:
I have just returned from my first trip to Costa Rica. I must say that Costa Rica is one of the most beautiful countries that I have every visited. The rain forest, flora and fauna, and the beaches are spectacular and rival anything that I have experienced in the DR. HOWEVER, the Dominican Republic is a very, very special place, and after several days and hours of reflecting on the comparison between the two countries, I think I have come to understand why. It is the people of the DR. Yes, we have great discussions here about the lack of education, the corrupt government, the outrageously poor infrastructure, the endless hustling for a peso, the insane driving, all that. Nevertheless, the Dominican people are at core some of the most loving, sensual, determined, resourceful, and proud, I have had the privilege to know. Although I will alter my annual travel plans slightly, to include a week or two in the rainforests and National Parks of Costa Rica to share and commune with all of the wonderful creations there, I will always return to the DR for several weeks each year to commune with the people and to revive my spirit on the pristine beaches of the North coast. So for all of you who have suggested that you might change your vacation destination to CR, I suggest that, like it is for me, the DR is home away from home.

Well said!

principe

Nov 19, 2002
Very kind view

Bueno amigo you take an exceptionally benevolent angle to compare these two nations. True Dominicans have all the qualities you mentioned, and that is undoubtedly what makes the nation special in its own way. However, I too observed many of the same qualities in Costa Rican people and they are special in their own way. All of the differentiating factors that you rapidly brushed aside unfortunately are what keep DR from reaching its potential in economical terms. Why is it that there is practically no Costa Rican community (in comparison to the Dominicans) in the US? There is no need for the Costa Ricans to leave. Everything I have seen in DR I saw it in CR except that in Costa Rica it worked.

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
I certainly cannot deny the obvious devastating effects of years of poor governance and despotism. One noteworthy comparison between the two countries is the sensible absence of a standing military establishment in Costa Rica and the investment that has been made in the education system of that country. Hopefully, soon the people of the Dominican Republic will tire of subsidizing two bit generals and thier sycophants and will demand a government that is responsive to the real needs of the country. It is easy to see how many Dominicans could suffer from political post-traumatic stress symdrone. I just hope that the gulf between the haves and the have nots does not grow so disparate that a violent response results.

bozorboso

May 16, 2005
after only one short trip to the DR, i must say that i totally agree with you. i have done a lot of traveling, and i have never met a warmer, friendlier group of people. everyone on the streets was eager to help, give advice, and make sure that you always had a smile on your face. it was wonderful!

RonS said:

Bugsey34

Bronze
Feb 15, 2002
principe said:
Bueno amigo you take an exceptionally benevolent angle to compare these two nations. True Dominicans have all the qualities you mentioned, and that is undoubtedly what makes the nation special in its own way. However, I too observed many of the same qualities in Costa Rican people and they are special in their own way. All of the differentiating factors that you rapidly brushed aside unfortunately are what keep DR from reaching its potential in economical terms. Why is it that there is practically no Costa Rican community (in comparison to the Dominicans) in the US? There is no need for the Costa Ricans to leave. Everything I have seen in DR I saw it in CR except that in Costa Rica it worked.

I have to agree with you, Principe. I just spent 10 days in Costa Rica and came back a couple of weeks ago.

I have to say that I found the people of Costa Rica to be friendler than Dominicans in the DR. (All based on personal individual experience of course) Dominicans are more hospitable in certain senses, but every single Costa Rican I met was willing to help you in any way they could. In the DR, walk down a beach and every Dominican will be trying to sell you something, not make sure you're enjoying their country and show you sites just for fun to boast about how beautiful it is. People were punctual, things happened when they said they were going to happen, the lights were on 24/7 and every single phone worked and was cheap.

I could drink water fresh from the tap and the Costa Rican government had the good sense to make almost all forest area into protected National Parks, so there was so much natural beauty to see. Such a noticable lack of trash on the ground like you see in almost any town in the DR as well. I think this tradition of national parks has really made an impact on the mentality of the communities, in terms of agriculture, fighting pollution, and the environment. The only real infrastructure weakness Costa Rica has is its road system, which is in very poor condition.

The fish rots from the head down, and Costa Rica has had a very peaceful history while Dominicans are burning tires in the streets to protest the lack of electricity. There is corruption in almost all facets of Central/Latin American/Caribbean governments, unfortunately, but what I noticed in the Costa Rican papers that they were complaining about as "corruption" is small time stuff in the DR. The week I was there they were complaining that their president was flying for free on the domestic airline, Sansa, which apparently is a priviledge given to all Central American presidents but he had previously promised not to take any freebies as a pledge against corruption. Can you imagine people nitpicking freebies like this with a Dominican president or any official? There would be so much nitpicking to be done the person would give up before the investigation even got off the ground.

Of course the DR has probably more spectacular beaches per square mile, a certain Caribbean flair, and better music maybe. But I must say I don't get many weeks of vacation, like many Americans. We're picky with our desinations and the DR better clean up its act if it wants to hold onto these tourists.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Good post Bugsey! I also liked Costa Rica and found the people very friendly and helpful. I also found them more educated and the country to be much cleaner as you mentioned.

But......

To get to the beach it is a 2 day trip from the US unless you kill yourself. The roads in Costa Rica make the DR look like the US or another first world country. Real Estate is 2x the cost as the DR even today.

These are things that were primary on my mind when I interviewed Costa Rica. You failed to mention those three things in the favor of the DR.

Escott

Bugsey34

Bronze
Feb 15, 2002
That maybe true, Scotty, but I wasn't taking notes on real estate prices. I'm not ready to retire just yet, another 40 or so years and I'll be there :).

I did mention the roads. The beach, depends on where you are. I dont know what you mean from the US, you mean the time you leave your house in the US to the time you hit the beach in CR?

Sorry I owe you a phone call Jazzy Baby, but as you can see, I was in Costa Rica. Muah.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
I can board a plane in NY and be at the beach in 5 hours including unpacking and changing clothes. It would take 2 days to get to the beach in CR. Fly into San Jose and a long hard drive to the Ocean from there.

Well take my word on the Real Estate. Expensive compared to the DR. That was one of the reasons I decided to start buying in the DR. I figured if CR can command those prices the DR will increase in value also.

How about them roads in CR? Simply amazingly BAD. I find the roads as bad as the drivers in the DR! Never thought that was possible.

I liked CR and would visit again in a heartbeat!.

I am in NY till Friday and then return to the DR. Just got back from Atlanta night before last. Had a nice time.

I love ya Bugs,
Escott

challenged

Mar 21, 2005
Costa Rica is absolutely amazing!!

I too fell in love with Costa Rica. Although my visit was two years ago I was so impressed with the people and the land. I initially intended to spend just one week but spent three weeks because I wanted to see it all. I felt very safe (being a woman travelling on her own) and must say it is my favorite destination in Central America. I was living in Guatemala for two months prior and got to see all of Central America but Costa Rica truly stole my heart. My friends there are probably the most giving people I have ever come across and made it difficult for me to even spend a dime. What's cool is that you have the Pacific then you have the Atlantic coast as well so the beaches are quite different on either coast. They also have diversified their economy so much that a lot of the disparity I experience in other countries (like Brazil) I did not see there. Even in Limon which has many black (Jamaican/Barbadian ancestry) and probably people who were "not as well off", they were much better off than people here in the U.S. I was living in California at the time so the trip to Central America was not as long as it would be from here (NY). I actually bussed it from Panama City to San Jose and took it from there. It was truly amazing but as far as proximity goes (and I am from the Caribbean myself) you cannot beat those direct flights to the DR!!!

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
challenged said:
I too fell in love with Costa Rica. Although my visit was two years ago I was so impressed with the people and the land. I initially intended to spend just one week but spent three weeks because I wanted to see it all. I felt very safe (being a woman travelling on her own) and must say it is my favorite destination in Central America. I was living in Guatemala for two months prior and got to see all of Central America but Costa Rica truly stole my heart. My friends there are probably the most giving people I have ever come across and made it difficult for me to even spend a dime. What's cool is that you have the Pacific then you have the Atlantic coast as well so the beaches are quite different on either coast. They also have diversified their economy so much that a lot of the disparity I experience in other countries (like Brazil) I did not see there. Even in Limon which has many black (Jamaican/Barbadian ancestry) and probably people who were "not as well off", they were much better off than people here in the U.S. I was living in California at the time so the trip to Central America was not as long as it would be from here (NY). I actually bussed it from Panama City to San Jose and took it from there. It was truly amazing but as far as proximity goes (and I am from the Caribbean myself) you cannot beat those direct flights to the DR!!!

How do hotels and apts. prices in general, compare to those of the DR? What cities did you stay in there? Is it pretty?

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
CR beautiful country!

After just completing 10 days in Costa Rica, I must say I am very impressed. I echo nearly all sentiments by other estimable posters. I will, however, disagree on the conditions of the roads. They are excellent. The CR govt is in the middle of totally upgrading and repairing its roads: especially those close to tourist areas. Better than the DR...and almost as good as USA in many locations...with the exception of downtown San Jose. My comparison:

Flora: CR, not by much.

Fauna: CR

Diversity of topography: DR

Beaches: DR, by far. There are none that compare in CR.

Mountains: CR. More. Bigger. Accessible.

Weather: CR

Roads:CR

Drivers: CR, of course

Getting to your destination quickly: DR, by far. Everything is 1-5 hours away within CR.

Customer service: CR, by far

Friendliness: DR, by far. CR are courteous and helpful. DR truly friendly.

Food: even

Real Estate: 2 acre plot land in exclusive mountains surrounding San Jose, $250K

Garbage: CR is clean.....nuff said

Motoconchos: very few in CR

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I was standing in the lobby of a hotel in San Jose, Costa Rica (not a very good section of town) waiting for a taxi. After hearing a booming sound, I turn to the bell hop and ask how preditable thunderstorms are in the afternoon.

He turns to me and says, in Spanish, "That was not thunder. Thats the radio of a car stopped across the street."

I open the hotel door, step outside, and sure enough.....the loudest car stereo I have ever heard.

The bell hop and I shake our heads in dis-belief and disappointment. He then turns to me and says: "Those damn Dominicans."

True story.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
I loved Costa Rica. The roads going into the mountains, though, are monumentally bad. If they would bother to pave even some of the roads they would make so much more money from tourism. I also wonder as a road cyclist what it would be like to climb some of those peaks on my bike if there was smooth tarmac instead of rough roads on those peaks.

I stayed in a place that had a series of cabins one night. When I woke up I went outside and was greeted by the Arenal volcano practically right in my face. It was incredible.

And I have to say that the costa rican people were a little friendlier and easier going towards tourists than the dominicans. Even in the tourist places there is'nt that hell-bent pressure that you feel in the DR when you know people are just trying to separate you from your money.

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Berzin, I was also lucky enough to see Arenal spew some lava...tremendous sight.

I would say that 90% of the roads I travelled (several hundred km) were pot hole free. Even the roads over the mountains on the way from San Jose to Arenal were mostly paved and pot hole free. My guess is that this road work has been done recently.

Where excatly did you go where the roads were bad?

Not only that, but on the topic of education.....the most common sight on the roads as I travelled during the afternoon and early evenings......was that of uniformed school children wating for buses. It appereard that schools were open until nightfall.

Good roads, educating children, 24/7 electricity, clean drinking water......why can't the DR do that? :cry:

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
Yes, for many years now, CR has had a very good educational system. And health system too. Now, on the negative side, I've heard there is also a lot of crime, did you see or hear any of that while you were there?

What about the cities and towns, how do they compare to Dominican cities and towns?

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
I found the costa rican people friendly in the smaller towns and not so hell bent on overcharging or hustling you. As far as crime goes, I never noticed any tigeres out and about. Never ran into any in the capital of San Jose either, and believe me I was walking around at all hours of the night.

As I am light-skinned with dark hair I sort of looked like any other young tico. It definitely helped that I did not stand out physically and I speak spanish, so I blended in just fine. In the DR I always get the impression that I stand out or I am immediately noticed wherever I go and that is what makes travelling in the DR a little bit of a hassle for many reasons.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Berzin said:
As I am light-skinned with dark hair I sort of looked like any other young tico. It definitely helped that I did not stand out physically and I speak spanish, so I blended in just fine. In the DR I always get the impression that I stand out or I am immediately noticed wherever I go and that is what makes travelling in the DR a little bit of a hassle for many reasons.
How are the Costa Rican Chicas ;) ;)