How does a US female go about getting dual citizenship by marrying her DR man?

SallyAnne

Jun 13, 2005
fading-stitches.deviantart.com
I plan to marry my guy that I met from Dominican Republic. We have been together for seven months. We plan to get married when we save up enough money to get my ticket and I finish my schooling here. And when I do get there and marry him I want to live in DR.

I have read on this site somewhere that "A foreign woman who marries a Dominican has the right to Dominican citizenship."

And also in other sites I have researched the US and DR both allow dual citizenship. What do I have to do to get dual citizenship. Does me being married to him cut out some of the requirements?

I read that you have to get a doctors exam that can take roughly 2 hours, you have to stay there in the country a certain amount of time. and you have to have 17,000 dollars or something.

Please help explain! I want to be in DR next summer and I need to know all the requirements but don't know where to find them.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
SallyAnne said:
Thank you for the reply
Well I did read that. But is it just that simple? Get on a plane, and live there for 6 months and get married and I can acquire citizenship just like that?

A woman who marries a Dominican man does not have to have lived here for six months to apply for citizenship. Neither does she have to come through with any financial set up as others are required.

It is not an automatic procedure. There are many steps that need to be fulfilled.

Several persons, though, will apply for citizenship instead of residency. I am not sure, though, if by applying for citizenship you lose the benefit of bringing in your household items tax free when you move here. This may apply because it applies to Dominicans who have lived abroad for two years, but you need to double check.

You would then be a dual national.

SallyAnne

Jun 13, 2005
Dolores said:
A woman who marries a Dominican man does not have to have lived here for six months to apply for citizenship. Neither does she have to come through with any financial set up as others are required.

It is not an automatic procedure. There are many steps that need to be fulfilled.

Several persons, though, will apply for citizenship instead of residency. I am not sure, though, if by applying for citizenship you lose the benefit of bringing in your household items tax free when you move here. This may apply because it applies to Dominicans who have lived abroad for two years, but you need to double check.

You would then be a dual national.

You are being very helpful thank you so much. And I figured there would be a few more steps and such. Like I read in another forum about affidavit of support and an interview, seems simple enough to me, just to make sure we are actually a couple and all. But i think that was for a Dominican coming to the US. It may be the same I am not sure.

and do i need a visa to go to DR? I believe I read there is just a tourist fee of about 10-20 US dollars.

If you have anymore information on this I would greatly appreciate it :) thank you again!

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
SallyAnne said:
and do i need a visa to go to DR? I believe I read there is just a tourist fee of about 10-20 US dollars.

If you have anymore information on this I would greatly appreciate it :) thank you again!

It may sound like a silly question but have you ever been to the DR? Just wondering. ;)

Shyla

Mar 14, 2005
Anna Coniglio said:
It may sound like a silly question but have you ever been to the DR? Just wondering. ;)
Not silly at all. Does she know what she's getting into, never being there...hmmm

katty

Mar 14, 2003
this can't be true

Sally Ann,
you need to get a grip. You can not be for real.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
SallyAnne said:
? could you please give an explanation as to why? :nervous:
Lets start with you are marrying a guy that lives in the DR but you have never been to the DR. You say you have known him for 7 months but you have never been in the DR?

Ok, maybe this is correspondence with a prison inmate and you feel for his writing?

This would be my wedding cake top if I was in your position.

Escott_wedding_cake.jpg

SallyAnne

Jun 13, 2005
confused

as lovely as that cake topper is it doesnt make sense, cuz he asked me to marry him so i wouldnt be dragging him. ... or him dragging me for that matter. but he cant be a prison inmate.. i dont think they get webcams and can call you numerous amounts of times, and have cell phones. and when on webcam at a friends house. there are friends there, and its a different home/room. but anyway. yes i have never met him. yes i have known him for 7 months, but i will not be meeting him for a year until after i finish school, and i read all about sankies, and i know my warning signs and believe me i am looking out for them. I am glad you are all concerned but please check information before you rant out on me ^^' and no i have never been to DR i do plan on living there on my own for about 4-6 months before i make any descisions of living there and marrying him. but i would like to know way before hand what i need to do for this that and the other. i like planning ahead. plus i believe that things are going to go fine. and that i will be staying there. but I am going to be checking it out first. making sure its all good for me. :) thank you for the concern :D

Escott said:
Lets start with you are marrying a guy that lives in the DR but you have never been to the DR. You say you have known him for 7 months but you have never been in the DR?

Ok, maybe this is correspondence with a prison inmate and you feel for his writing?

This would be my wedding cake top if I was in your position.

Escott_wedding_cake.jpg

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
I think this takes the grand award price..

Life will bring you... no sorry.. you are bringing yourself a huge surprise... :tired:

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
As things stand I think the last thing you need to worry about is a duel citizenship. Your 10 buck tourist card is good for 15 days and then you can extend it or do what others do just stay and pay when you leave.

Oh don't forget you need 20 US cash for exit out of the country.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Buy a friggen round trip ticket. Book a 1 week return, you will be on that plane back and I hope the only thing bad that happens out of this is a sunburn...!

I am shaking my head in disbelief. You can't be serious. The story is getting more and more bizzare by the hour.