Help with Las Terrenas Trip!!

Annavoig

Jun 13, 2005
My boyfriend and I are interested in going to the Dominican Republic at the end of August and were thinking Las Terrenas. I have been looking online and in guidebooks for good hotels but I am overwhelmed!

We want a nice hotel, near/on the beach but ideally within walking distance of the town of Las Terrenas (I dont know how loud it gets if we are close to LT). I don't know if places have air conditioning and how necessary it is. We didnt want to do the whole all-inclusive thing, but wanted something nice for the two of us to spend a week. I have heard good things about Playa Colibri- is it easy/cheap to get into town from there without having to rent a car? I also saw about Los Holandeses and it looks nice but I would like tips and opinions.

I would really appreciate any information/resources/ideas on these two hotels or on any other ones that you know are good!

Thank you so much in advance

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
Atlantis

Check out the Atlantis in Playa Bonita. The name says it all. I was there last March. It's up a little from town, more quiet and laid back, nice beach, the people that run it are a young couple from France. He used to be the chef for President Mitterand in France, needless to say the food gets a 5 star. They charged me 60US a night(don't pay in pesos) full breakfast included. You can catch a ride(moto) into town for a couple of pesos or free. This hotel has the best of both worlds, town has some nice places but the partying is non stop and gets a little tough for sleeping. Good choice, fly into Las Terrenas (little dirt strip) from POP via Aero Domca, about 40bucks.Contact them direct for booking(save some$$)at 809-240-6111Fax8

09-240-6205

Juniper

Apr 15, 2004
You can catch a ride(moto) into town for a couple of pesos or free.

For a couple of pesos? In your dreams. It's more like 30-40 pesos from Playa Bonita since it is so far out of the way. And you say "free"? How in the world did you manage that?

I prefer Colibri. You can get a fully equipped apartment with kitchen for about $55.00 per night. The moto rides to town are 20 pesos and only about 20 minitues away.

Beautiful pool, tropical gardens, nice beach, and the best Italian restaurant in town.

Aerodomca does not have any scheduled flights from Puerto Plata to Las Terrenas (El Portillo). You would have to charter one of their planes and I don't believe the cost will be $40.00.

Last edited:

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
Moto

Playa Bonita is less than 20 minutes from town, I went back and forth every day. I got rides from the young kids, all for free and the most I paid was probably 5 or 10 to some who wanted $ for gas. Come hang with me next time tour there, I'll show ya how it's done.]You can catch a ride(moto) into town for a couple of pesos or free.

For a couple of pesos? In your dreams. It's more like 30-40 pesos from Playa Bonita since it is so far out of the way. And you say "free"? How in the world did you manage that?

I prefer Colibri. You can get a fully equipped apartment with kitchen for about $55.00 per night. The moto rides to town are 20 pesos and only about 20 minitues away.

Beautiful pool, tropical gardens, nice beach, and the best Italian restaurant in town.

Aerodomca does not have any scheduled flights from Puerto Plata to Las Terrenas (El Portillo). You would have to charter one of their planes and I don't believe the cost will be $40.00.[/QUOTE]

dontuseEltour

Feb 2, 2003
HI Juniper hope you are both well.
We have been to LT a couple of times and have stayed at the Colibri you won't be disapointed. It's out of town a little so noise isn't a problemn but is an easy walk ,is on the beach and yes has good food. You can go into town to do your shopping and they will deliver it to your apt. Fruit is best from the local stands/stores and very cheap. Bread is great from sucha salla prolly spelt wrong also pastries.
If you want to relax you have picked a great place beaches are fantastic and you can walk to others that are as good if not nicer. Moto concho is the way to travel and is fun.
Fly into SD and catch the bus or fly to El Portillo, tickets can be arranged by the staff at Colibri.
Have fun and you will be surprised at the fantastic area known as the Samana pernisular try and explore as much of it as you can before it changes.

Annavoig

Jun 13, 2005
Playa Colibri high price question

When did you go to Colibri? I got in contact with them and then are charging me $85 plus tax, which seems excessive.

Juniper said:
You can catch a ride(moto) into town for a couple of pesos or free.

Aerodomca does not have any scheduled flights from Puerto Plata to Las Terrenas (El Portillo). You would have to charter one of their planes and I don't believe the cost will be $40.00.

Juniper

Apr 15, 2004
Right now the rates are as low as $55.00 U.S. per night depending on the size of the apartment. They have different rates for different sizes and the rates go down depending on how long you stay.

Yes, there are other places to stay that are less expensive, but then you have to contend with no electricity some times several times a day. And the rooms are not kept as clean. They may also be noisier.

I feel that Colobri offers a lot for your money. I wouldn't stay any place else.

clara

Jan 6, 2005
http://www.playacolibri.com/rates.html

I think Colibri is great. My family spent a few days there in Nov 04 and we didn't want to leave. Prices have gone up, but given the quality and location, still seems a good deal. As stated, the smallest type of apartment goes for 55/night for 1-7 nights at this point (see link above).

Based on my most recent explorations, Atlantis in Playa Bonita was not in operation. Any more recent updates?

Enjoy your trip to Las Terrenas...