Migration charge for extended stays is illegal

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Was just told over the weekend that the Migration charge for those staying from 15-60 days is illegal. The fees have been made public at the Migration web site at See http://www.migracion.gov.do/tarifas.htm

Turns out that there is a law that sets the charge at US$10 for 60 days. Thus, when the Mejia administration increased the fees (understandably in its quest for more $), it did so illegally. The Fernandez administration has kept the extra revenues, but by doing so it is violating a law.

dropitlikeithot

Jun 22, 2005
Dolores said:
Was just told over the weekend that the Migration charge for those staying from 15-60 days is illegal. The fees have been made public at the Migration web site at See http://www.migracion.gov.do/tarifas.htm

Turns out that there is a law that sets the charge at US$10 for 60 days. Thus, when the Mejia administration increased the fees (understandably in its quest for more $), it did so illegally. The Fernandez administration has kept the extra revenues, but by doing so it is violating a law.

so you only have to pay for $10 for up to 60 days?

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Dolores said:

Gee, Hippo doing something illegal in the interest of getting revenue. Imagine that!

D, has the Supreme Court ruled it illegal? Is that the context for this? Or has the Fernandez Administration just now (after months of collecting the revenue) getting around to admitting that it was illegal?

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
The Fernandez administration did not repeal the measure. They are also enjoying the extra revenues, despite this being against the law.

For it to be repealed, someone would have to be challenge it in court.

Last edited:

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
dropitlikeithot said:
so you only have to pay for $10 for up to 60 days?

Most likely you would lose your flight if you didn't pay the difference.

Would be interesting to see what their reaction would be if someone showed up physically with the law arguing that the law stated one only had to pay US$10.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Dolores said:
Would be interesting to see what their reaction would be if someone showed up physically with the law arguing that the law stated one only had to pay US$10.
D, sounds like something Nuria should try to sent up and capture on hidden camera. ;)

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Nuria is now the girlfriend of the Minister of Tourism. Don't think she would like to get in those hot waters.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Dolores said:
Nuria is now the girlfriend of the Minister of Tourism. Don't think she would like to get in those hot waters.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Too bad! Such a good investigative journalism talent gone to waste...

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I Let Santo Domingo On May 21st After 20 Months Here With No Visa!

The "Fine" was listed on a large sign at each immigration check booth at "Las Americas"!My "Fine" was listed at 4,500 pesos for overstaying between 18 and 24 months.I asked the VERY ATTRACTIVE young lady in the booth if I could pay the "fine" directly to her,without going to the "Fine Office"?We discussed what I had in mind for a minute or two.She gave me back my passport and said to put the cash into the passport and give it back to her without anyone seeing.I put two 1000 peso notes into my passport and handed it back to her.She took the money,and stamped my tourist card and passport and off I went.When I looked in my ticket holder,she had also included her name and her phone number.My traveling companion asked why she would give an ugly old fart like me her #? I said any Dominicana would like to be a "Friend" of anyone who pulls 2000 pesos out of his pocket and gives it to her.She was beautiful! But I know "High Maintenance"when I see it!
Soooooooooo,just remember that the "Fine" is "negociable" if you want to pay at the booth! :bandit: :bandit: :bandit: :bandit: :bandit: