What type of job if not retired did you do in DR?

R

rafael

I am curious to know what type of job some of the foreigners living in DR do? Of course that some they may be retire allready and maybe receiving retirement income from their respective countries if so what was your previous job before retirement.

N

noelle

Re: What type of job if not retired did you do in

Why are you asking? I would love to tell you but would like to know why? you are asking this question? ]Cheers Noelle

E

ECH,M.D.

THAT IS CERTAINLY A FAIR QUESTION!

R

rafael

I am moving to the DR and wonder what people from the states do there. I imagine some are retired but maybe still work P/T. I'm just curious of what there will be available for me to do when I move there.

S

scaramooch

Rafael, it all depends on what your skills are and how much you are willing to work for, as also you apply your skills there to the demand, everything is relative. Most retirees have an outside income to rely on in which they can live better then the average Dominican. Unless you are well connected or have a highly skiled vocation where you can make the top bucks there, you will do OK. If you are just going there to scratch shit with the chickens you are going to starve to death, unless your are taking some US dollars and starting a business on what you do best and hope the best for it, and work hard to succeed concidering all the red tape an obtacle the DR work against you. So it all depends on the amount of "COJONES" along with the "DOLLARS" will be relative to your success. Just remember this Primo and I will see you there soon.

S

scaramooch

Rafael, I would like to mention that there are nor "RAG TO RICHES" stories there, you bring the US dollars and put up with the miread of the "MORDIDAS" and if you can cope with it and roll with flow maybe you will do OK. But the best way to enjoy the DR and live well is to have a good pension in dollars to support you.

R

rafael

I am retired military with extensive background in logistics and currently very busy in real estate investments. Yes, I will have a pension to live on but I wonder what Americans do with their time beside posting on DR1 (LOL). I just want to know if most people work part-time, do volunteer work or are just content and busy enough in their daily lives to do nothing. Please understand that I am in no way knocking anyone who can just relax and enjoy. I am very active here and am looking to slow down, but I don't think I can just hang-out and do nothing. Thus comes the question - What types of jobs if "Retired" do you do in DR. If you don't work, what keeps you busy?

J

Joanne

Rafael: the jobs available depend on where you decide to reside and as mentioned in a previous message what your skills and interest. Many people start here in the time-sharing industry and here there are both traditional time shares and those called vacation clubs with floating time. There are some office jobs available with some of the tour companies but these are difficult to come by if your only language is English. Most of the jobs are tourist related: scuba instructors, etc. Some are bartenders, etc.

R

Richard

If you're presentable and can talk, you migh consider selling vacation club. There are all kinds of places looking for people in the Puerto Plata, Sosua area. If you speak German or any otheer language irt will help. In Sosua, ask at the Brit Pub, it's whhere many ex-pays hang out.